Texas and Rick Barnes

Should Texas fire Rick Barnes?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Texas fire Rick Barnes?

• Yes
    • No

I don't like UT but look at what level he has brought that program to. Why should they fire him??? Should UNC fire Roy Williams??? His starting line up is nothing but blue-chip recruits. Some years, you just don't get it done. They lost to an ACC school, it's not like it was really an upset. And best talent in the country??? Have you seen Kansas, Kentucky, or Syracuse play?

[quote name="whsalum" post="779482" timestamp="1269058750"]
No way!!They have10 or 11 consecutive NCAA tourney appearances.The early injuries doomed this club because they lost their leadership.Texas had some super individual players but need 5 balls because [b]they never learned to play together.[/b]
[/quote]

That is the story of Texas's season right there. Poor chemistry for a team with as much talent and potential as these guys. Very disappointing second half of the season. And dont fire Rick Barnes. That would be terrible for the program. Get the kids ready to compete next year.

To start out 17-0 and then lose in the first game of the ncaa tournament is sad if you noticed as the season progressed he changed is offense to a down tempo pass the ball around till the shot clock is below 5 then shoot it thats not what got Texas 17-0 the up tempo/ fast break offense got Texas 17-0. Although I do see where yall are coming from on yalls opinions im still not at ease with barnes being head coach at Texas.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="779521" timestamp="1269081333"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=67554.msg779482#msg779482 date=1269058750]
No way!!They have10 or 11 consecutive NCAA tourney appearances.The early injuries doomed this club because they lost their leadership.Texas had some super individual players but need 5 balls because [b]they never learned to play together.[/b]
[/quote]

That is the story of Texas's season right there. Poor chemistry for a team with as much talent and potential as these guys. Very disappointing second half of the season. And dont fire Rick Barnes. That would be terrible for the program. Get the kids ready to compete next year.

[/quote]No chemistry, and Young. Give a year are so and then make the call on the coach.

Crazy question IMO...of course you do not fire a guy who has taken you to 11 straight NCAA tournaments...this team was young this year and had some injury problems....did they underachieve this season...yes...but fire a guy with that track record after one disappointing season...NO

[quote name="ballin4life" post="780770" timestamp="1269372918"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=67554.msg780716#msg780716 date=1269367193]
Plus if you do fire him who are you going to hire that can take you to "the next level"? I don't see any other coach you can hire who will do better than Barnes.
[/quote]get rid of him
[/quote]
You don't get rid of a guy just to do it. You have to have some sort of a plan in place to replace him. There is no one who can make UT basketball relevant quite like Barnes. Its a football school and for 4 months in the Winter he has gotten it to where people also watch basketball. No coach before him has ever gotten close to that.

[quote name="speedkills" post="779535" timestamp="1269091481"]
To start out 17-0 and then lose in the first game of the ncaa tournament is sad if you noticed as the season progressed he changed is offense to a down tempo pass the ball around till the shot clock is below 5 then shoot it thats not what got Texas 17-0 the up tempo/ fast break offense got Texas 17-0. Although I do see where yall are coming from on yalls opinions im still not at ease with barnes being head coach at Texas.
[/quote]

I don't mean to talk down on you at all but your statements show how little you know about basketball.  Barnes dumned-down the offense to a simple balll screen offense maybe because of the youth, but that was too much pressure on the ball handlers.  The offense was easy to figure out, that is why it looked slow!!  Barnes never chose a starting line-up and showed his players no loyalty!  There were no easy baskets in his scheme which is even harder on young guards.  Ward's injury hurt the most and Lucas is a Southland player!!!  This years lack of success was soley on Barnes!!!  However you don't fire argublly the best coach in Texas history.  He has taken a virtually absent team for three decades into a perrinial powerhouse in the 21st century! Not to mention he has taken a school with such a strong football tradition into a legit basketball school!  In a State that is all about football!

Dont take it personnal, you assumed Barnes slowed it down, whenhe just "was figured out"!  Any coach in his right mind could defend Texas with that offense!!!  I agree that this season Barnes was the sole culprit of the failure.  Bradely wasn't as good as promised and Mason and Balbay have still yet to improve as players!!!  But Barnes blew it... However what marquee coach is licking thier chops to get to Texas?  I will answer that for you... NONE!!!  The Texas basketball program is "The House that Rick Barnes Built!"

Rick Barnes the recruiter is great. He is going to keep bringing in top shelf talent from Texas, and more importantly, the east coast.

Rick Barnes the basketball coach leaves a lot to be desired. This year isn't what sold me on his inability to make adjustments in-game. In 2007 he let USC rattle off the first 16 points of the 2nd half before calling a timeout. I could understand letting that happen in an early season non-conference game if he's trying to teach his players a lesson, but in the NCAA tournament? That was beyond atrocious to watch how things played out.

To be the head coach at Texas you have to have east coast recruiting ties and Barnes has a plethora of those. For those old enough to remember, Tom Penders stuck around in Austin for a decade because of those same ties. He was able to bring players in from New York such as Terrence Rencher and Reggie Freeman among others. As long as Barnes continues to bring in guys from back east he'll have a job. If that area of the country ever dries up for him, you'll see Barnes be replaced by someone else with a similar background.

Forget the East Coast... I like the talent there but he has let some jewels here in Texas pass...  Chris Bosh, Tommy Mason-Griffin, Wesly Johnson, Perry Hill, Ray Penn,Deandre Jordan, Anthony Randolph, and Willie Warren.  You have to remember that local Talent got you there.... TJ Ford, DJ Augustine, Daniel Gibson, etc.  The last few years he has been reaching for far away talent and missed some of the top talent in the Nation from Texas to LSU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Iowa State, and A&M....  No way any of those prorams have more attraction than UT!!!!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="784001" timestamp="1269955498"]
Forget the East Coast... I like the talent there but he has let some jewels here in Texas pass...  Chris Bosh, Tommy Mason-Griffin, Wesly Johnson, Perry Hill, Ray Penn,Deandre Jordan, Anthony Randolph, and Willie Warren.  You have to remember that local Talent got you there.... TJ Ford, DJ Augustine, Daniel Gibson, etc.  The last few years he has been reaching for far away talent and missed some of the top talent in the Nation from Texas to LSU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Iowa State, and A&M....  No way any of those prorams have more attraction than UT!!!!
[/quote]

You don't ignore the east coast in basketball, you just don't. It would be like the rest of the country ignoring Texas, Florida or California when recruiting football players. I'm 100 percent certain that if you were to ask Deloss Dodds how important it is that Barnes has east coast ties he'd tell you it's absolutely huge. It was one of the big reasons Barnes got the job at The University of Texas. He just isn't going to get every talented player in Texas and knowing that it's great that he has a base on the east coast to draw players from.

A lot of the basketball kids also want to leave the state to play basketball. Chris Bosh wanted to leave and there was nothing Barnes or any other coach in Texas could do to change that. Often the top flight talent gets steered in a certain direction by their AAU coach. You can look at Sherman's Cameron Clark and Denison's TJ Taylor for evidence of that with both of them headed to UT-Norman thanks to an AAU coach.

Anthony Randolph is not a local product. He moved to Dallas from Arkansas before his junior year. You can thank AAU basketball for that one. Augustine is also not a local product.

I know Anthony is from Arkansas and Augustine is froim the NO!!!!  Both played Texas Highschool ball and neither went to a school in their home state.  There should be some way to influence transfer kids and local to come to Texas.  And Texas' current roster is littered with West Coast recruits and none are from the east coast.  The only real east coast impact players that Barnes as pulled is Durant, PJ Tucker, James Thomas, and Royal Ivy (outside of Durant none were highly ranked and all were recruited over six years ago)!!!!  East coast kids want to be in the big east and A10, and the ACC.

The majority of the kids Barnes gets are west coast and southerners!!!  Like the football team, the best kids in Texas should go to Texas before heading to any other Texas school or Oklahoma, Iowa State, and OSU.  I can understand wanting to leave the State but Barnes is losing recruits to other Texas teams and Oklahoma.  I even understand jumping to Kansas U... But not going to other schools that have not had more recent success than the Longhorns!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    haha369
    Newest Member
    haha369