Great Job Chad !!!!!!

whsalum

Thanks Chad Cooper for a very entertaining evening at the Montagne.I know the kids that got to play there will remeber it for a lifetime and for us old dogs that can't remeber when we played it was a lot of fun to watch.You are simply the "MAN" when it comes to southeast texas hoops.Thanks again for all you do for the local kids.

I SAY DITTO..................BUT LETS NOT FORGET MIKE SANCHEZ WHEN YOU ARE HANDING OUT COMPLIMENTS......ALSO ENJOY THIS WEBSITE AND THE INTERESTING FOLKS WHO ARE A PART OF IT.....MANY OF YOU HAVE WONDERFUL INSIGHTS INTO DIFFERENT TEAMS WHICH HELP US PREPARE FOR A GAME....YES WE DO PREPARE FOR GAMES....I AM EXTREMELY PLEASED THAT I HAVE NOT HEARD ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THE OFFICIATING IN THE MONTAGNE.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE....KEVIN ABERNATHY IS THE BEST OFFICIAL IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS.....HE AND ALL THE CREWS PROVED THAT OFFICIALS IN SETX ARE ON THEIR GAME....WHETHER THEY BE UIL OR TASO......

[quote name="speechless" post="763640" timestamp="1266780163"]
4 kids on the court last night that lamar should be actively recruiting
[/quote]I probably wouldn't go that far.Lamar is a D1 mid major and it takes a very good player to play at that level.The recruits that Lamar has on the floor right now aren't that strong but you just have to look back as far as Ashton to know what it takes to play at that level.I think Walker has potential to play mid major ball and Stallworth if he continues to improve will get some Juco looks out of high school.Hill and Brey may get some JUCO looks as well.We only have to back as far as Robinson for Silsbee to realize while these are good high school players,they probably aren't going to be actively recruited D1 players.

[quote name="whsalum" post="763661" timestamp="1266783204"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=66341.msg763640#msg763640 date=1266780163]
4 kids on the court last night that lamar should be actively recruiting
[/quote]I probably wouldn't go that far.Lamar is a D1 mid major and it takes a very good player to play at that level.The recruits that Lamar has on the floor right now aren't that strong but you just have to look back as far as Ashton to know what it takes to play at that level.I think Walker has potential to play mid major ball and Stallworth if he continues to improve will get some Juco looks out of high school.Hill and Brey may get some JUCO looks as well.We only have to back as far as Robinson for Silsbee to realize while these are [s]good[/s] great high school players,they probably aren't going to be actively recruited D1 players.
[/quote]

but good point I dont think any of them are much better if any better than Ashton

[quote name="speechless" post="763680" timestamp="1266786353"]
Walker and Brey could play at Lamar right now

Lane and Stallworth are worth recruiting as juniors right now
[/quote]Walker probably could play right now at Lamar but Lamar isn't anywhere near where they need to be to compete with Sam Houston or the club down at Corpus.They will have to recruit a lot better player if they are going to have any success in the SLC.Look at Buc2010 post and tell me if you think any of those players are anywhere close to Ashton Hall.

[font=Courier]Thanks for the kind words WHS and others. Just woke up....

First and foremost, it wasn't just me. Plenty of people behind the scenes that made this work starting with Jim Barton.

Lamar University was great to work with especially women's coach Larry Tidwell, who deserves a big thank you!

Getting the Montagne every year is not as easy as one would think. First, the cost. Just to get the building is pricey then add insurance, staff, game officials, security and emergency personnel.

Then, scheduling conflicts. We could not get it Friday like we wanted because Northwestern State's women's team refused to move their walk-thru (glad Lamar blew them out on Saturday).

Then, you have to have the perfect matchup. And silsbee and kountze was perfect. That was a great game to watch. Spurger shot lights out and I give them a standing ovation because it seemed that every person that lives in that town came to the game.

And thank you to Newton. Coach Northrup raises his hand first every year and is not scared to play anyone in any class.

The Yates of the world are fun to watch, but like we say every year, small schools are the way to go.

As far as the crowd, I'll have the final numbers in a few days but it was well more than any of what Lamar has had this season.

The ones that came to the game: thank you very much for supporting the event!

A big one is already being planned in the fall. We will be bringing in some of the best small school teams in Reg 3 and 4 to Southeast Texas to play the best in the Golden Triangle!

See you guys in the gym!!!!
[/font]

Guest ANGRYANGEL
You cannot compare Ashton Hall's Lamar career to the potential success of Roman, Devin, or DC......

Ashton was a back to the basket BIG during his high school playing career... yes he shot the occasional 3, but he never handled the rock and he never played guard....  in college he had to learn to play guard

Roman, Devin, and DC are all similar in size(minus an inch or 2) to Ashton but they all are truly guards and are by far more athletic and by far more equipped to play as a mid-major 3 guard.... R, D, and DC all can handle the ball,they all can shoot midrange jumpers and 3 pts, and they all can play above the rim..... 

Ashton had to work to become a guard for 2 or 3 years after high school...  He did accomplish that and would have had a great senior year if not for the injuries....... 

But to say they wouldnt be successful at Lamar because Ashton wasn't as great as expected is not fair and is actually totally incorrect....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder