*PNG@Vidor Broadcast/Vidor Wins!!!*

Guest JoesBros

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="ForeverADog" post="756872" timestamp="1265647824"]
Tribesmen sorry but I have to disagree. Vidor has probably just as much or less talent than png yet they were co district champs a few years back. Or look at Ned. now. I know you wouldn't dare tell us we are more talented at NHS would you? Lol but the coach has to be willing to go in and put in the extra work to change the culture.
[/quote]

Starts with the community, School Board, Administration and Athletic Director. Our new AD seems to have some really good ideas for the future of PNG both athletically as well as academically for the kids. That being said, he fits the PNG mold all the way! You can tell by the way things are done now as well as changes in the works that if it doesn't benefit football it is second fiddle in his mind. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. the almighty dollar also helps to dictate that.

Within the Port Neches and Groves communities if we don't have a successful football program then we are NOT HAPPY PERIOD!!! That shows in other sports and in the natural pecking order of things, basketball is way down the list. A single coach will not be able to change that without the help of the AD. And an AD at PNG HAS to focus on football all year.

As far as English, there is no doubt he is a great basketball coach! He implements solid strategy and can adapt to the situations at hand very quickly which is what you need to be successful on the court. And the talent? Well let's just say that playing Nederland today is like playing the old Thomas Jefferson of the Eighties! English SHOULD do well! And Big Ned could have state championship potential by somewhere around 2020.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="757002" timestamp="1265661736"]
Basketball is second at every school in the area pretty much. That is just the way it is. Their is no reason can't be as good as nederland or lcm who is in the postseason or pretty close for years. It has nothing to do with what I think you are implying in my opinion.
[/quote]

Basketball is a distant third in boys athletics at PN-G. Football and Baseball are the emphasis at The Reservation. As far as Nederland goes, there is an ENTIRELY different situation going on there right now. The athletes are in place for English to be very successful in the future. PN-G Basketball history in general has very few highlights. I am not trying to take anything away from Vidor for the victory against PN-G at all. It has to be a frustrating job at PN-G to coach basketball, but on the other hand, the expectations aren't very high. The school would have gone nuts if we would have been the fourth place team and just made the playoffs. Coaches don't get fired at PN-G for losing games in basketball. The coaching history speaks for itself. I guess that you could say that it is a "low pressure - low reward" job. I just don't see that changing in the near future. I see another successful baseball season upcoming. I also feel like PN-G may be on the verge of becoming a consistent powerhouse again in football if we can keep most of the current coaching staff in place for a few years. None of this bodes well for the basketball program. And don't forget, that basketball overlaps baseball, and the elite baseball players will never play basketball and miss the start of practice. That is just the way that it has always been. It is no different than the way Ozen kids probably look at basketball and baseball, just opposite of the way things are viewed at PN-G.

Guest JoesBros
[quote name="Tribesman" post="757342" timestamp="1265725125"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=65668.msg757002#msg757002 date=1265661736]
Basketball is second at every school in the area pretty much. That is just the way it is. Their is no reason can't be as good as nederland or lcm who is in the postseason or pretty close for years. It has nothing to do with what I think you are implying in my opinion.
[/quote]

Basketball is a distant third in boys athletics at PN-G. Football and Baseball are the emphasis at The Reservation. As far as Nederland goes, there is an ENTIRELY different situation going on there right now. The athletes are in place for English to be very successful in the future. PN-G Basketball history in general has very few highlights. I am not trying to take anything away from Vidor for the victory against PN-G at all. It has to be a frustrating job at PN-G to coach basketball, but on the other hand, the expectations aren't very high. The school would have gone nuts if we would have been the fourth place team and just made the playoffs. Coaches don't get fired at PN-G for losing games in basketball. The coaching history speaks for itself. I guess that you could say that it is a "low pressure - low reward" job. I just don't see that changing in the near future. I see another successful baseball season upcoming. I also feel like PN-G may be on the verge of becoming a consistent powerhouse again in football if we can keep most of the current coaching staff in place for a few years. None of this bodes well for the basketball program. And don't forget, that basketball overlaps baseball, and the elite baseball players will never play basketball and miss the start of practice. That is just the way that it has always been. It is no different than the way Ozen kids probably look at basketball and baseball, just opposite of the way things are viewed at PN-G.
[/quote]
Bingo good post!!

EXcuse me Tribesman for stirring up trouble..but you tell me to look at the history of PNG basketball and that should do it?

We haven't been to playoffs since 89! I guess that is because we do not have the 'depth' we need?
When we had Worthington and Jamel we played Ozen to 3 and 7 and lost to Central by 1, and all we need to do was beat LCM and we lost to them in OT, whats the excuse now? 07-08 was our year, but injuries and losing kids to grades was not easy, so we held our heads high and took the losses. 08-09 We had Thompson, and 6'9'' and 6'7'' but of course we couldn't win the close games! My post was NOT directed at the coaching we have, Coach Abel is a good coach, but our records are better than what they show! We lose game after game by 3, 2, 1, sometimes 5 who's fault is that? Look at what Coach English does, he puts his team right up there with his family, trying to make something of the program! Starts 4 sophmores one year, by the time they were seniors playoff bound! And now look at his team, playing extremely well! Ask a PNG kid this year, how many times Coach Abel opened up the gym this summer? I'll give you your answer now 0! Ok maybe one time...So we have to put in the work to see rewards, so now matter how much you have to swallow ur pride, my post was right on!

And I will agree with you that we are always the low man on the totem pole, that was very well said. But you have to see that we have the talent year in and year out, but we just cannot close out the tough games. We should've never lost to Vidor this year, and that shows you what is important at PNG. I believe that PNG basketball can be a contender year in and year out, but I do not understand why we are not. All I was trying to say, that something has got to change at PNG for basketball, it is hard for one man to do it all alone; when we have 20 football coaches in only one basketball coach in an athletic period how are we suppose to win with that?! I agree with everything you said, I hope that our program can turn it around. Give Abel some help in the period!

Guest Two-Dogs...
Did you guys know that a kid that plays basketball at PNG does not attend basketball athletics during the day if he is also a football player? A kid that plays football must go to football athletics even if he participates in another sport. that means for example that on Game day During the 1 and 1/2 hour athletic period the complete basketball team cannot even get together to oh say run through plays or talk about the defenses that will be needed that evening etc.

It also means that a kid who may be playing both sports is working out with weights during basketball season. What do you think that does for his shooting consistency? No wonder our shooting percentages look to be low.

[quote name="IndianPride" post="757529" timestamp="1265749329"]
EXcuse me Tribesman for stirring up trouble..but you tell me to look at the history of PNG basketball and that should do it?

We haven't been to playoffs since 89! I guess that is because we do not have the 'depth' we need?
When we had Worthington and Jamel we played Ozen to 3 and 7 and lost to Central by 1, and all we need to do was beat LCM and we lost to them in OT, whats the excuse now? 07-08 was our year, but injuries and losing kids to grades was not easy, so we held our heads high and took the losses. 08-09 We had Thompson, and 6'9'' and 6'7'' but of course we couldn't win the close games! My post was NOT directed at the coaching we have, Coach Abel is a good coach, but our records are better than what they show! We lose game after game by 3, 2, 1, sometimes 5 who's fault is that? Look at what Coach English does, he puts his team right up there with his family, trying to make something of the program! Starts 4 sophmores one year, by the time they were seniors playoff bound! And now look at his team, playing extremely well! Ask a PNG kid this year, how many times Coach Abel opened up the gym this summer? I'll give you your answer now 0! Ok maybe one time...So we have to put in the work to see rewards, so now matter how much you have to swallow ur pride, my post was right on!
[/quote]

Get your facts right in 08-09 we didnt have a 6'9 or 6'7 nor did we have Thompson.
We've had a 6'7 and a 6'5 in the 07-08 season.

[quote name="IndianPride" post="757532" timestamp="1265749650"]
And I will agree with you that we are always the low man on the totem pole, that was very well said. But you have to see that we have the talent year in and year out, but we just cannot close out the tough games. We should've never lost to Vidor this year, and that shows you what is important at PNG. I believe that PNG basketball can be a contender year in and year out, but I do not understand why we are not. All I was trying to say, that something has got to change at PNG for basketball, it is hard for one man to do it all alone; when we have 20 football coaches in only one basketball coach in an athletic period how are we suppose to win with that?! I agree with everything you said, I hope that our program can turn it around. Give Abel some help in the period!
[/quote]

I know that we have some talent on this year's team. I also know that you can't expect the kids to keep playing to their potential with NO DEPTH. Doty, Deron, Kerr, and company are spent ! They have played ALOT of minutes this year (following a long football season). We traditionally don't have much depth so we definitely can't absorb any grade casualties or injuries. I am not seeing the talent "year in and year out" like you are seeing. Come on, let's be realistic. There may be that much talent tied up in other sports, but they are not all coming out for basketball. This program is a product of the athletic system at PN-G. I just don't see it changing. Since you are focused on Coach Abel not opening up the gym, did you know that Coach Abel's wife runs the PN-G Little Dribblers program ? As a matter of fact Coach Abel and his wife are out until 9:00 PM or later every night of the week with their involvement in Little Dribblers. Here's another bit of information, Coach Abel and his wife COACH Little Dribblers after they leave their REAL jobs due to a shortage of coaches. I know that Spencer Deron and Christian Kerr also coach Liitle Dribblers after practice along with Coach Arnaud. This is the future of the basketball program. If you want to see what Little Dribblers does for a school, go watch Kountze, Hardin-Jefferson, and Silsbee. So if you were implying that Coach Abel is not concerned with the future of the program for "not opening up the gym", you need to see for yourself the sacrifices that his family makes for future basketball players at PN-G. On a lighter note , the Little Dribblers program is doing really well with great participation numbers on the boys' and the girls' side. This will help in the future if the kids choose to stick with basketball.

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="757545" timestamp="1265750794"]
Did you guys know that a kid that plays basketball at PNG does not attend basketball athletics during the day if he is also a football player? A kid that plays football must go to football athletics even if he participates in another sport. that means for example that on Game day During the 1 and 1/2 hour athletic period the complete basketball team cannot even get together to oh say run through plays or talk about the defenses that will be needed that evening etc.

It also means that a kid who may be playing both sports is working out with weights during basketball season. What do you think that does for his shooting consistency? No wonder our shooting percentages look to be low.
[/quote]

You can't use this as an excuse...the same situation exists at Nederland and many other schools as well.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="Razor" post="757929" timestamp="1265811440"]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=65668.msg757545#msg757545 date=1265750794]

[/quote]

You can't use this as an excuse...the same situation exists at Nederland and many other schools as well.
[/quote]

Not using it as an excuse merely pointing out that Basketball is way down the list of importance at PNG!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833