UTSA to FBS, Possibly Out of SLC

UTSA may be leaving the Southland Conference in all sports, as they have decided to charter a course for FBS football - whether that means being an independent for a few years or finding a conference...

This all comes courtesy of the [url=http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college/local_colleges/UTSA_now_plans_to_go_it_alone_in_football.html]San Antonio Express News[/url]...

[quote]Switching gears from a tentative plan to join the Southland Conference in football, UTSA has charted a new course for its fledgling program.

University of Texas at San Antonio athletic director Lynn Hickey said the school, which is slated to begin play in 2011, would attempt to reach the NCAA’s top flight as an independent by its fifth season in 2015.

Should they do so, the Roadrunners would become one of just four independent football teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A). They would remain there indefinitely until an opportunity to move their entire athletic program into an FBS conference presents itself.

“We have worked really hard looking at all our options,” Hickey said. “As a start-up program in a major city, with the aspirations we have, the facility we have, the head coach we have, the best thing we can do is move as quickly as we can to FBS status. And until we’re in a conference that has FBS football, we need to stay independent.”[/quote]

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="752484" timestamp="1264959977"]
I like their decision. It makes sense for them football wise but I think will hurt them in other sports.
[/quote]

It won't hurt them in as many as you think. The only 2 that really matter are baseball and football, and they'll be able to compete baseball wise.

[quote name="AJ25" post="752489" timestamp="1264961592"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=65405.msg752484#msg752484 date=1264959977]
I like their decision. It makes sense for them football wise but I think will hurt them in other sports.
[/quote]

It won't hurt them in as many as you think. The only 2 that really matter are baseball and football, and they'll be able to compete baseball wise.
[/quote]

I think its a good idea for recruiting now, you have something to sell your recruits... wish Lamar would just publicly say we intend to go FBS one day.

[quote name="mffl" post="752492" timestamp="1264962866"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=65405.msg752489#msg752489 date=1264961592]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think its a good idea for recruiting now, you have something to sell your recruits... wish Lamar would just publicly say we intend to go FBS one day.
[/quote]

Yeah, there are a lot of rumors saying so... But it's not official yet. They need to make it official.

[quote name="AJ25" post="752489" timestamp="1264961592"]
[/quote]

It won't hurt them in as many as you think. The only 2 that really matter are baseball and [b]football[/b], and they'll be able to compete baseball wise.
[/quote]
IMHO, the only two that matter are football and mens basketball.  Those are the big money making sports that fund the rest of programs at the college level (tennis, soccer, softball, w basketball).  Going FBS Indy right out of the shoot is a dangerous proposition at best.  Suppose you are still without a conference after year five and your football team has to throw together killer schedules each year, with most of the big money games played away from home?  Enough 2-10 or 1-11 records starts to wear thin on your contributors and fans in general.  And it would be tough on Coker to last very long.
UTSA needs to study this very carefully.  They are not Notre Dame, Navy or Army.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="752510" timestamp="1264968039"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=65405.msg752489#msg752489 date=1264961592]
[/quote]

It won't hurt them in as many as you think. The only 2 that really matter are baseball and [b]football[/b], and they'll be able to compete baseball wise.
[/quote]
IMHO, the only two that matter are football and mens basketball.  Those are the big money making sports that fund the rest of programs at the college level (tennis, soccer, softball, w basketball).  Going FBS Indy right out of the shoot is a dangerous proposition at best.  Suppose you are still without a conference after year five and your football team has to throw together killer schedules each year, with most of the big money games played away from home?  Enough 2-10 or 1-11 records starts to wear thin on your contributors and fans in general.  And it would be tough on Coker to last very long.
UTSA needs to study this very carefully.  They are not Notre Dame, Navy or Army.
[/quote]

I do have to agree, this isn't cut out for every team. But let's be honest.. They're not going to pull the same teams that Notre Dame does. They'll probably pull Texas one year, A&M the next, Tech the next, and then the rest of the schedule be filled with teams such as North Texas, Tulane, Louisiana Laf, New Mexico, La Tech, Houston, Rice, UTEP, Utah State, etc...

Guest coachacola
I think Larry Coker is a major factor in this push to FBS.  He's not a spring chicken so would he actually stay at UTSA that long if he thinks they'll be FCS for a while? I can see him at UTSA for a while if they went FBS, but if they stayed FCS he's probably try to move on to a FBS school.

Another interesting part of the article said the response to staying in the SLC was lukewarm.  Sounds like the interest in UTSA football isn't that great so trying to go FBS quickly will get more fans interested in their program.  Since San Antonio doesn't have another D1 school then it makes sense for them to go this route.  They probably have been in contact with other schools and conferences, plus with the moratorium ending next year there probably will be an opportunity for them.

I agree with Green Menace on this.  They are taking a big risk if they do go this route.  But I don't think they have much choice since they've been talking about going FBS ever since they did a football feasibility study a few years ago.  I think this will push Texas State and Lamar to also go FBS more quickly, so it should be interesting to see what happens to the SLC in the next few years.

It's hard to believe, and kind of sad, to hear that they're having trouble generating interest in their program. I guess that's one thing that LU is clearly a little better at. If UTSA is able to go that quickly, it definitely will motivate LU and TxState to go as well.

Guest coachacola
This announcement of UTSA leaving the SLC to play FBS football has really shaken up a lot of Texas State's fans over at bobcafans.com.  Now if it's true that UTSA won't play Texas State in football then there must be some type of feud between the two schools over this.  But until UTSA has their schedules set in stone I would have to doubt that they won't play each other because they'd be a natural rivalry which could draw a lot of fans.

It should be interesting to see how many big name schools they can schedule.  If they can put together some good schedules then I bet them leaving the SLC is a done deal.  That could work out to Lamar's advantage, especially if UTSA doesn't want Texas State to join them as a direct competitor.  Maybe Tubbs is on the phone with UTSA working on some type of deal with another conference.

I totally agree and great list of teams for new conference (some from the old American South)..I did wonder though why the addition of SMU, Tulsa and UTEP from Conference USA although very good choices..have you heard something from other forums? And any other additions to this list like Rice or Tulane? I was thinking La -monroe but have heard they are hurting for funds and ULL would not want to be in same conference with them also.

Guest coachacola
Unless CUSA totally implodes I don't see any of those teams leaving for a new conference with LU and UTSA.  I could see some of the eastern Sun Belt teams leaving which would open a few spots in the Sun Belt.  I think a long shot would be for the WAC to expand to 12 teams and invite UNT, UTSA and LU.  UNT and La Tech would be travel partners, while UTSA and LU would be travel partners. 

What I've read is that UNT has had an open invitation to the WAC, and since they are building a new stadium, joining the WAC would really get the fans excited.  UTSA is aggressively pursuing FBS status and will probably not join the SLC so the WAC might see this as a great opportunity.  Having Boise State play in the Alamodome would probably draw big crowds.  With UNT giving the WAC the DFW market and UTSA the San Antonio market, LU would give the Houston/SETX market and their 12th team.

[quote name="coachacola" post="756420" timestamp="1265520017"]What I've read is that UNT has had an open invitation to the WAC, and since they are building a new stadium, joining the WAC would really get the fans excited.  UTSA is aggressively pursuing FBS status and will probably not join the SLC so the WAC might see this as a great opportunity.  Having Boise State play in the Alamodome would probably draw big crowds.  With UNT giving the WAC the DFW market and UTSA the San Antonio market, LU would give the Houston/SETX market and their 12th team.
[/quote]

NT does not want into the WAC...their fans echo the sentiment all the time. They'd prefer C-USA and with their facilities coming into place and the likely addition of baseball in the next five years, look for them to get in.

[quote name="UNLV" post="756480" timestamp="1265559453"]
Well yeah, I think there is a chance CUSA will implode.
I think Rice and Tulane drops football.
New Florida conference take CUSA teams east of UAB.
Monroe days as a FBS are numbered.
That leaves the teams I mentioned.
[/quote]

Tulane isn't dropping it. They've had their best two recruiting classes in the history of their program the last two years. The had 21 true freshman start throughout this year. They are young and experienced and should come close to .500 this year, if not reach that mark. They'll be in a bowl game within the next two years. And Rice just went 9-3 the year before last, why would you drop that program?

[quote name="GeauxLamar" post="756491" timestamp="1265562751"]
I can't wait..especially via what RS73 said he overheard Dr. Simmons say in the season ticket line..I truly believe we can and will take that next step...just look at the campus now as compared to when i graduated in the 90's..i think we are definitely on our way
[/quote]

What did RS73 over hear Dr. Simmons say?

[quote name="AJ25" post="756529" timestamp="1265567548"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=65405.msg756480#msg756480 date=1265559453]
Well yeah, I think there is a chance CUSA will implode.
I think Rice and Tulane drops football.
New Florida conference take CUSA teams east of UAB.
Monroe days as a FBS are numbered.
That leaves the teams I mentioned.
[/quote]

Tulane isn't dropping it. They've had their best two recruiting classes in the history of their program the last two years. The had 21 true freshman start throughout this year. They are young and experienced and should come close to .500 this year, if not reach that mark. They'll be in a bowl game within the next two years. And Rice just went 9-3 the year before last, why would you drop that program?
[/quote]Very little interest by locals. Just talk of dropping, I wouldnt bet on it yet

[quote name="coachacola" post="756420" timestamp="1265520017"]
Unless CUSA totally implodes I don't see any of those teams leaving for a new conference with LU and UTSA.  I could see some of the eastern Sun Belt teams leaving which would open a few spots in the Sun Belt.  I think a long shot would be for the WAC to expand to 12 teams and invite UNT, UTSA and LU.  UNT and La Tech would be travel partners, while UTSA and LU would be travel partners. 

What I've read is that UNT has had an open invitation to the WAC, and since they are building a new stadium, joining the WAC would really get the fans excited.  UTSA is aggressively pursuing FBS status and will probably not join the SLC so the WAC might see this as a great opportunity.  Having Boise State play in the Alamodome would probably draw big crowds.  With UNT giving the WAC the DFW market and UTSA the San Antonio market, LU would give the Houston/SETX market and their 12th team.
[/quote]
UNT does, in fact, have a open invitation to join the WAC.  Fans have been split on the issue with the majority saying no to moving to the WAC.  The WAC is more prestigious than the SBC and maybe even CUSA.  But the cost and expenses of being in a far Western conference (moutain and west coast start times for games), and the unknown of "when", not if, Boise and probably Fresno State move to another conference.  Many expect both schools to move to the MWC.  I predict that the MWC will then be an automatic qualifer conference and reach BCS status.

Remember, UNT was in the Big West Conference with most of the WAC members.  UNT knows the expenses of pbelonging to a far West conference.  Football and basketball drive and fund an athletic department. Playing tennis, baseball, volleyball in the WAC is an expensive undertaking.  Your football and BB programs better bring in a lot of moola.

UNT has its eyes set on CUSA, assuming no major loss of teams takes place in the next shakeup.  UNT came in just under UTEP in the last CUSA membership change.  With the new stadium, I think UNT will make it to CUSA during the next conference realignemnt.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124