Kirbyville's Pregame Meal--Legal?

sportster

The rules quoted here refer to a meal paid for by the booster club or someone other than the school. As far as the school feeding the team, they may do so every out of town game as long as the school pays for the meal, and they are not obligated by rule to feed anyone else. The situation with Katy a few years ago involved a meal paid for by a parent before a home game. By the way I am not from Kirbyville, but I do know the rules after 25 years in coaching.

For an out of town game the kids don't have to pay a penny. As long as the school and not a booster is paying for the meal it is perfectly legal. Whether the band, cheerleaders etc.. eat is up to their sponsors and the school district, but it has no effect on whether the team can legally eat a meal paid for by the school.

Guest pirates
[quote name="pirate52" post="731178" timestamp="1260936267"]
For an out of town game the kids don't have to pay a penny. As long as the school and not a booster is paying for the meal it is perfectly legal. Whether the band, cheerleaders etc.. eat is up to their sponsors and the school district, but it has no effect on whether the team can legally eat a meal paid for by the school.
[/quote]

Correct, Summary of the Vidor policy.  $5.00 for breakfast, $7.00 for lunch and $10.00 for dinner.  Usually, the only time the district would pay for a breakfast or lunch is if the team was staying overnight or in some tournament situations.

It is illegal for a parent or supporter to have like a crawfish boil for the team and not charge each team member for the meal.  The only way around this rule is if a non team member were [b]at[/b] the meal also.  Let's say you having a party for your child and he played football, it would be legal to invite the complete team plus a few other friends and those few other friends attended the party.  It would be illegal to invite just the team.  I know, sounds stupid.  This is the UIL rule.

Here is the UIL rule:

*Booster groups or individuals may donate money or merchandise to the school with prior approval of the administration. These kinds of donations are often made to cover the cost of commercial transportation and to cover costs for out-of-town meals. It would be a violation for booster groups or individuals to pay for such costs directly.
*Individuals should be informed of the seriousness of violating the athletic amateur rule.
The penalty to a student-athlete is forfeiture of varsity athletic eligibility in the sport for which the violation occurred for one calendar year from the date of the violation. Student athletes are prohibited from accepting valuable consideration for participation in school athletics - anything that is not given or offered to the entire student body on the same basis that it is given or offered to an athlete. Valuable consideration is defined as tangible or intangible property or service including anything that is usable, wearable, salable or consumable. Local school districts superintendents have the discretion to allow student athletes to accept, from their fellow students, small ‘goodie bags’ that contain candy, cookies or other items that have no intrinsic value and are not considered valuable consideration.
*Homemade “spirit signs” made from paper and normal supplies a student purchases for school use may be placed on the students’ lockers or in their yards. Trinkets and food items cannot be attached. Yard signs made of commercial quality wood, plastic, etc. if not purchased or made by the individual player’s parent, must be returned after the season.
*The school may provide meals for contests held away from the home school only. If the school does not pay for meals, the individual parents need to purchase their own child’s food. Parents may purchase anything they wish for their own child but may not provide food or other items of valuable consideration for their child’s teammates. The school may also provide supplies for games and and practices and transportation for school field trips. Students should pay admission fees during school field trips.
*Parties for athletes are governed by the following State Executive Committee interpretation of Section 441 of the UIL Constitution & Contest Rules.
Section 441: VALUABLE CONSIDERATION SCHOOL TEAMS AND ATHLETES MAY ACCEPT:
1. Pre-season. School athletic teams may be given no more than one pre-season meal, per sport, per school year such as a fish fry, ice cream supper, etc. provided it is approved by the school and given by a nonprofit organization, usually the booster club, before the team plays in its first contest. It may be given after a scrimmage.
2. Post-season. School athletic teams are limited to no more than one post-season meal or banquet per sport, per school year, and it must be given by a nonprofit organization and approved by the school. Banquet favors or gifts are considered valuable consideration and are a violation if they are given to a student athlete at any time.
3. Other. School athletic teams and athletes may be invited to and may attend functions where free admission is offered or where refreshments and/or meals are served, provided all students from that high school are invited to attend for the same fee and on the same basis as the athletes or the athletic team. Athletes or athletic teams may be recognized at these functions but may not accept anything that is not given to all other students.

VALUABLE CONSIDERATION THAT SCHOOL TEAMS AND ATHLETES MAY [b]NOT[/b] ACCEPT
Examples of items deemed to be valuable consideration and thus a violation of this rule include but are not limited to: 

1. meals, snacks or snack foods during or after practices;
2. parties provided by parents or other students strictly for an athletic team;
3. anything that is not given or offered to the entire student body on the same basis that it is given to or offered to an athlete.

Local school district superintendents have the discretion to allow student athletes to accept, from their fellow students, small “goodie bags” that contain candy, cookies or other items that have no intrinsic value and are not considered valuable consideration.
Gatherings of school athletic teams at parents’ or patrons’ homes require each athlete to contribute equally to any food or refreshment. The burden of proof will be on the athlete, his or her head coach and the school if these occasions are questioned. No overnight lodging or sports instruction or practice is permitted.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
I know most people think Kville is back in the sticks,But I do think the administrators have enough sense to know what's legal and what's not...I don't think they would let a box of chicken keep them from winning a state title...This in my opinion is totally ridiculous.. JMO

Guest pirates
[quote name="~old_wildcat~" post="731247" timestamp="1260961817"]
I know most people think Kville is back in the sticks,But I do think the administrators have enough sense to know what's legal and what's not...I don't think they would let a box of chicken keep them from winning a state title...This in my opinion is totally ridiculous.. JMO
[/quote]

I agree, the coaches and administrators have this rule "beat" into them from the start of their career.

[quote name="~old_wildcat~" post="731249" timestamp="1260963113"]
Oh and I see the "smite-bug" has struck me again..I either made a sensible statement or reminded someone of a dumb one they made... ;D
[/quote]
Don't feel bad about the smite bug....there's nothing in the UIL manual that can get rid of us for SMITE, LOL!!

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="SgtRey" post="731273" timestamp="1260969976"]
[quote author=~old_wildcat~ link=topic=63643.msg731249#msg731249 date=1260963113]
Oh and I see the "smite-bug" has struck me again..I either made a sensible statement or reminded someone of a dumb one they made... ;D
[/quote]
Don't feel bad about the smite bug....there's nothing in the UIL manual that can get rid of us for SMITE, LOL!!
[/quote]

LMBO@ sarge...Yep... :D

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Pirates" post="731248" timestamp="1260962405"]
[quote author=~old_wildcat~ link=topic=63643.msg731247#msg731247 date=1260961817]
[/quote]

I agree, the coaches and administrators have this rule "beat" into them from the start of their career.
[/quote]

The thing that got my attention was the delivery method of the meal. It's neat and all, but it does cross into some gray areas regarding costs. I could really care less about what team is doing it. No one here is out to get the good people of Kirbyville. It does raise questions that I would assume the Kirbyville administration feels comfortable in answering.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="GCMPats" post="731282" timestamp="1260971603"]
[quote author=Pirates link=topic=63643.msg731248#msg731248 date=1260962405]
[quote author=~old_wildcat~ link=topic=63643.msg731247#msg731247 date=1260961817]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The thing that got my attention was the delivery method of the meal. It's neat and all, but it does cross into some gray areas regarding costs. I could really care less about what team is doing it. No one here is out to get the good people of Kirbyville. It does raise questions that I would assume the Kirbyville administration feels comfortable in answering.

[/quote]

I don't think the delivery by plane ever actually happened or was supposed to happen,I think someone got some bad info from somewhere,I think someone has already explained what happened in one of the previous posts..not sure, but I remember seeing it..It said that Jenny's Fried Chicken was paid for the meal out of the Atheletic department or something to that effect...If I find it I will post it.....

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="~old_wildcat~" post="731285" timestamp="1260972405"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=63643.msg731282#msg731282 date=1260971603]
[quote author=Pirates link=topic=63643.msg731248#msg731248 date=1260962405]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think the delivery by plane ever actually happened or was supposed to happen,I think someone got some bad info from somewhere,I think someone has already explained what happened in one of the previous posts..not sure, but I remember seeing it..It said that Jenny's Fried Chicken was paid for the meal out of the Atheletic department or something to that effect...If I find it I will post it.....
[/quote]

I saw  where the gentleman said that the bad weather had changed the delivery method. I understand that it's all legit. Just tyring to explain why I have any interest. No sinister plot against the Wildcats. Just a curious observer.

[quote name="~old_wildcat~" post="731249" timestamp="1260963113"]
[/quote]
The smite thing is easy and it requires no thought. You don't have to put into words anything that makes sense or requires thought in any way and this is perfect for some people. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder