Kirbyville's Pregame Meal--Legal?

sportster

Guest GCMPats
Section 441: VALUABLE CONSIDERATION SCHOOL TEAMS AND ATHLETES MAY ACCEPT:

1. Pre-season. School athletic teams may be given no more than one pre-season meal, per sport, per school year such as a fish fry, ice cream supper, etc. provided it is approved by the school and given by a nonprofit organization, usually the booster club, before the team plays in its first contest. It may be given after a scrimmage.

2. [b]Post-season. School athletic teams are limited to no more than one post-season meal or banquet per sport, per school year, and it must be given by a nonprofit organization and approved by the school. Banquet favors or gifts are considered valuable consideration and are a violation if they are given to a student athlete at any time.[/b]

3. Other. School athletic teams and athletes may be invited to and may attend functions where free admission is offered or where refreshments and/or meals are served, provided all students from that high school are invited to attend for the same fee and on the same basis as the athletes or the athletic team. Athletes or athletic teams may be recognized at these functions but may not accept anything that is not given to all other students.

Guest GCMPats
After further review, it's legal. Assuming that the Coach/Athletic Department purchased the meals and not a Booster member.

(Not that I am an expert, but I went Millionaire and "Asked the Expert".)

Good Luck Wildcats and Congrats on your season.

This meal is being billed and paid by the district just like every other meal that we have served them. It is not about superstition or ritual. It is about support and showing our guys that their community is behind them, and that we will do whatever it takes.

BTW- weather looking to be a factor for flying, going to plan B 

Looks like it's working to. Back to back State Championship appearances. Any plans to open a Jenny's in Lumberton. Our kids could use some that "winning" chicken to. (ha)

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Gasilla" post="728665" timestamp="1260643314"]
Haters on this board never cease to amaze me. Let the folks support their team... Dang!
[/quote]

Karma +1....

I agree with you..Frank George is one of the very best business men in Kirbyville,The most supportive of all things pertaining to Kirbyville Schools..Not only HS the whole school system...There is no telling the ammount of food Frank has given away...Iv'e personally seen him feed people that could not pay,He is a good man,and a credit to Kirbyville and the community....

Just to somewhat defend sportster for this post; I think it's always good to ask these kind of questions. It may seem trivial and mean-spirited but were it not for such questions and "watchdog" groups, high school football in Texas would not be what it is.

I have also wondered at the legality of such things but I assumed it was all on the up and up. I still feel that Kirbyville would not knowingly violate a policy against this if they thought it could take away a championship trophy. And Mr. George has definitely done a lot for the community and his heartfelt involvement with the team is surely appreciated. But, nice gesture or not, I wouldn't support it if it is in violation of the rules and sportster shouldn't be referred to as a "hater" for bringing it up.

Again...I support the Wildcats and I think what Mr. George is doing is great but asking these questions doesn't make someone a hater, it makes them, in my eyes, a concerned fan of high school football.

Good Luck Kats! Bring it home! And, good luck to all of those traveling the roads today and tonight. Take care!!!

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="swampdude" post="729366" timestamp="1260682673"]
Well the UIL needs to stop by Kirbyville and try some of that Jenny's Fried Chicken!!  The fish and shrimp are great too!  Hey, if the school paid for it, it doesn't matter where the food came from or how it got there.  Great job this year, Wildcats!
[/quote]

I agree with you...probably the ones who keeps this crap going had a 4 / 6 season... ;D

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="DP#1FAN" post="730651" timestamp="1260881457"]
Who cares?  I can tell you somebody Kirbyville kick the crap out of. This whole topic is a joke!
[/quote]

Amen....Karma + 1

I know for a scrimmage you can feed the kids.  During the regular season if you decide to feed the kids, you basically have to be ready to feed anyone who walks up, this way no one can say it's "for the Team"...the post season is the same, just feed everyone....you'll get the support....I've fed Visitors when we're home and fed home when we're away....you stay neautral and it's not for profit...and you don't violate anything....your just cooking for the free world.. ;D....

[quote name="DP#1FAN" post="730651" timestamp="1260881457"]
Who cares?  I can tell you somebody Kirbyville kick the crap out of. This whole topic is a joke!
[/quote]
You can call it a joke, but the UIL takes all of this quite seriously. If the school buys the team a meal, by rule, it has to buy the band, cheerleaders, pep squad, and any other school entity involved the same meal. Years ago at Newton after all the away games we were fed chicken fried steak meals at restaurants. For a long time now the team packs and eats sandwiches that are prepared at the Newton school cafeteria and paid for out of the athletic budget.

This is definately one of the negatives about having an OPEN forum!  You get a few idoits that try to tear teams and people down, instead of praising when praise is due.  Congrats to Kville on a great season!  Please pay no attention to the negative and Jealous people on this board!!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="setxguru" post="730728" timestamp="1260893052"]
This is definately one of the negatives about having an OPEN forum!  You get a few idoits that try to tear teams and people down, instead of praising when praise is due.  Congrats to Kville on a great season!  Please pay no attention to the negative and Jealous people on this board!!
[/quote]

What in the hades are you talking about! It is a legitimate inquiry. It may have been initiated with "bad" intentions, I do not know and do not care. If you're doing what you know is on the up and up, why worry? It is an open form and I would bet alot of people on this site do not completely understand what they can and cannot provide a student-athlete. Not everything is done with malicious intent. Sometimes people do things out of kindness and it backfires.

Ignorance of the law does not excuse you from the law.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami