BREAKING NEWS: TASO files lawsuit against the UIL

[quote name="Colmesneilfan1" post="723197" timestamp="1259884135"]
TASO's lawsuit will destroy the UIL...I'll say it here right now....TASO has decided that since they can't get what they want,  they'll just bring the UIL to it's knees and to heck with the kids of Texas.....THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THIS LAWSUIT IS ALLOWED TO GO ON....TASO hasn't looked at the unintended consequences of their actions....TASO is going to look very bad when this all pans out and that shyster lawyer they hired will laugh all the way to the bank.....
[/quote]

The only way this would bring the UIL "to it's knees" is if they find wrong doing in the investigation of this case. TASO only wants the UIL to recognize them as always. The UIL wants to collect fees, fees, and more fees. Like I said the only way this hurts the UIL is if this causes officials to look further into the financial records and find something wrong.

P.S. Maybe you should go look for a Global Warming forum to spread your tales of gloom and doom.  ;)

I'm for whatever is in the best interest of the kids. And, although I agree that the UIL may have "gotten above it's raising", I don't think its fair or accurate to make light of what the organization has accomplished over the years. We have all benefitted from much of what the UIL has done but, as with any organization, growth brings greed and complacency. And, it takes efforts like the one TASO has undertaken to bring such organizations back to the basics. So, I support TASO's efforts to bring the UIL back into the fold but I do not support any efforts to destroy the UIL and all that it represents. The shake-up is needed but, hopefully, for the fans who follow the sport and the kids who play it, this will not escalate into something that we will all regret. Just my two cents.

I beleive that the only way the UIL gets "brought down" is a situation that will be of it's own making.  I think the fear by some that the UIL will suffer is because they recognize that the UIL has problems TODAY that are the reult of poor management and greed.  As I said before, the UIL as first envisioned and started was a good thing for the state, and all sports as well. The relationship with TASO was symbiotic, with some small problems here and there, like you have in any business relationship. 

However, to rise to the level of court action, there has to be a serious problem with no solution without court intervention.  This isn't about pay, it's about control, and, if I were an official that had to travel many miles for the same pay because the only group in the state says so, I would tell them to pack sand...and where would that leave the officiating?...Oh yeah...those objective bleacher refs...that would insure a fair contest... ::)

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="swampdude" post="723163" timestamp="1259880448"]
The UIL has been headed down this primrose path for the past 15 years.  They keep adding playoff teams to the point of being embarrassing.  There were several 2 - 8 teams in the playoffs in football this year.  Why have playoffs if everyone is playing?  Oh, you mean the UIL gets a cut of playoff receipts???  Gee, who would have thunk it?  IF you are wanting to know the UIL's motive....."follow the money"!!!  Here is one coach hoping that TASO prevails here!!
[/quote]

AMEN!

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="723151" timestamp="1259878882"]

Call me "beyond blind" because I have no idea what you are talking about.  Can you shed some light on what you mean?
[/quote]

The scope of that answer goes far beyond the time I would have to spend typing it all in. I can say this: surf the net and do the research of the moves the UIL has made the last decade or so. The highly condensed version:

More power + more control + more meddling = more $$$$$$$$$ for the UIL. Thats what it all about, and they are profoundly changing the universe of TX HS sports, at the [i]expense[/i] of HS sports! I support TASO! Hope they win! 

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="723655" timestamp="1259952884"]
[quote author=FriendswoodFan link=topic=63324.msg723151#msg723151 date=1259878882]

Call me "beyond blind" because I have no idea what you are talking about.  Can you shed some light on what you mean?
[/quote]

The scope of that answer goes far beyond the time I would have to spend typing it all in. I can say this: surf the net and do the research of the moves the UIL has made the last decade or so. The highly condensed version:

More power + more control + more meddling = more $$$$$$$$$ for the UIL. Thats what it all about, and they are profoundly changing the universe of TX HS sports, at the [i]expense[/i] of HS sports! I support TASO! Hope they win!   
[/quote]

The fact that you cannot even even begin to explain your position makes me question whether you have a real basis for the anti-UIL postings.

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="726427" timestamp="1260299997"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=63324.msg723655#msg723655 date=1259952884]
[quote author=FriendswoodFan link=topic=63324.msg723151#msg723151 date=1259878882]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The fact that you cannot even even begin to explain your position makes me question whether you have a real basis for the anti-UIL postings.
[/quote]

Stands to reason that you are anti-TASO...I beleive he made it pretty clear, but since you are a Freindswood native, let me explain...

The UIL is trying to FORCE, by regulation, that all sports officials register with the UIL, and pay them a "registration fee".  In addition, they will schedule officials for sports regionally, instead of locally, as it is now, meaning that officials would incur higher out of pocket expenses, in addition to the registration fee.  UIL, other than controlling even more money from the gate, really has no reason for doing this.  To tell you the truth, since they are non-existent on paper, I would wonder if they can take any money from schools at all, so maybe the districts need to get onboard with a lawsuit of their own, and either insure that the UIL "exists", or have it become a quasi-governmental entity...

I am not anti-anything in this deal; just trying to learn whether there exists any legitimate basis for all the rhetoric. 

Nobody, including you Hector, has offered any rational explanation for what is so wrong with the UIL wanting to have control over the officiating [u]at UIL sporting events[/u].  That hardly strikes me as a remarkable, much less evil, development. 

From what you guys have posted, it seems that those who have a beef with the UIL about this issue are likely to be motivated by their own desire to keep control, and the money, with themselves and their organization.  Hector, are you a TASO member?   

BTW, I am assuming the request for a temporary restraining order was denied.  True?

Also, from looking at the UIL website, it seems clear that the UIL is a creation, and a budgeted department, of the University of Texas.  If so, then arguing that the UIL is not properly registered as a non-profit organization and/or does not legally exist strike me as silly arguments that are guaranteed to lose.  It also appears that school districts are free to not become or not become members of the UIL.  However, if they do wish to become members, and to enjoy the rights of membership -- including the right to participate in UIL sanctioned sporting events -- then they must comply with the rules of the UIL, as established by the UIL. 

So, the bottom line is that the UIL is pwerful because they offer mebership benefits that most schools find desirable.  regardless of whether it is because of money, or the perception that sports officiating needs to be improved, I see no reason why UIL cannot requlate its sanctioned events however they see fit.

FW, the question really becomes, why the need for registration, if not for control?  TASO has been officating games for UIL for decades, yet now there is a "need" to register them?  Why?  There has been no situation that has made the change necessary.  Additionally, the UIL would have control over where a refree or umpire officiates, regardless of additional travel costs that would have to be absorbed by the official in question, which would result in many officials turning down games, so where does that leave the teams?  Right now, the same set of officials is used for sub varsity games and varsity games.  Since the new rules being implemented by the UIL would cover only varsity games, the same set of officials could not do both games, there would have to be a different set, or the sub varsity games would have to be refreed by coaches or fans...so there is a lot wrong with these rules, and in the same vein as you are asking FW, there has been little in the way of explaination or justification by the UIL about the changes...it was basically, tough, deal with the new rules...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder