The Myth of the Athletic Baseball Scholarship

Hitman,
I obviously stand corrected on this "draft" issue and with you being an ex player, email me sometime.
Also, "Semi-Pro" was a term used back many years ago, now the term "Independent ball" means Paid emplyment to play for teams who are of non-affiliation with MLB Teams,
and semi-pro is now a term most use for those "adult" league type teams, etc...
But to be accurate, yes Semi-Pro was the term used for minor leaguers in a sense.
Locally many years back we had the Beaumont Exporters etc...a minor league team in the 30-40-50's.

Tell me more about the "Independent draft". I personally want to learn more about the drafting aspect.
Ive worked directly aiding players who signed with such independent teams as the SCHAUMBURG FLYERS and FARGO-MOREHEAD REDHAWKS, but was completely unaware a "formal draft" for these independent players.
My relationship with GM's of that league for which I communicated, had faxed in the players mutual contract to my office directly.
They also have roster guidelines on requiring players who have professional baseball experience as well as adding new players coming out of college, but as the years go by, qualifications and league rules change as well.

The top tier Independent League for years was the Northern League, ie; St Paul Saints, etc...a team JD Drew and Darryl Strawberry played for at one point. They signed directly with the Saints and weren't in a draft. But I suppose after reading your thread, there can be free agent signings and a "draft".
If Im correct on this, I believe the Durham Bulls were orginally an independent team before getting affiliation with the Tampa D-Rays
It used to be stricly upper Midwest states who had strong independent ball, but now they have added teams from Pensacola, Shreveport, La etc....

Id like to be know more about the draft and how it unfolds and the process, and do ALL league players go through a draft process now. This is Interesting.
Or is it a draft thats conducted after a "League-Tryout" with all teams within the league in attendance? I guess to relate it would be like that of which we all basically were evaluated as in a Little League, community baseball tryouts per say, where all players attend the tryout, all players are evaluated by all league team coaches and general managers, then they conduct a draft after the workout?  Id think it would be good knowledge for all to read.

And if your a former player, email me, Id like to hear from you.
[email protected]

Also,

As for as Lamar's 18 locals and the aid they might receive, I cant answer that accurately, nor would I even try to speculate.
However I do know if they receive athletic funding, they MUST receive minimum of 25% mandated by the NCAA.
Since the schools have tripled out of state tuitions(there are waivers for a small percentage who qualify), and are now mandated each athlete must be on a 25% minimum  scholarship(if on athletic aid) AND with a NCAA mandated maximum locker room size of 35 players, it also has a hand to do with all schools recruiting much more locally as well.
Its easier on a college staff to sign a local, have him commute from home and use a larger portion of overall baseball aid(11.7) to sign a player from a distant high school or juco.
Our golden rule in college was to give the money to Pitchers and do your best at signing position players with academic funding, or those from wealthy homes...
I coached collegiately in Louisiana, for we had the TOPS program which allowed us to put "Position players" on TOPS if they qualified and jump in the recruiting war for quality pitchers, offering a higher percentage of financial aid to sale yourself against another schools scholarship offer.
The recruiting world is a monstor and when you sit on the other side of the desk trying to create a competitive ballclub, it is a 24-7 challenge to make it work every season.
You had to really be creative at times to establish a ballclub to not only be competitive, but placing your club in position annually to win championships.

Fackler

here you go coach, http://www.frontierleague.com/tryouts.php
2009 FALL WORKOUT

The Frontier League office has announced that it will hold a fall workout for NCAA student-athletes and players looking for exposure.

The workout, which will be held at the Gateway Grizzlies’ GCS Ballpark, will take place Saturday October 24 and Sunday October 25. Registration for the workout begins at 8:00 a.m. Saturday. The cost of the workout is $50.00 and includes a workout shirt.

“This is a great opportunity for undrafted and NCAA student-athletes to work out for the league,” said Grizzlies Events Coordinator Jeff O’Neill. “The timing of the event is based around the fact that most colleges are wrapping up fall ball and the players still being is baseball shape.”

The Grizzlies and the Ramada Inn in Fairview Heights, IL are teaming up for lodging for the event.

“Most student-athletes are unable to attend the May tryout since they are still in season,” said Grizzlies General Manager Steve Gomric. “The idea is to give these college kids the opportunity to work out in front of all of the league managers while they are still in baseball mode.”

The official sign up for the event can be found on the Frontier League’s website, www.frontierleague.com.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Jeff O’Neill or Steve Gomric in the Grizzlies office by calling (618) 337-3000.

Click here to register online.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For information on individual or joint team tryouts click here.

When I get home I am going to research this all in much more depth.

If I am reading your post correctly, it says a "workout" for team managers, GM's, etc...as I stated in the previous Post.

What I am wanting to now know, is there an actual amateur draft, or is every player signed as free agents.
My personal relationships with GM's, coaches, and players within these independent programs has always been through "free agent signings" without a draft.
But I want to look into this more.

If there is a draft, is it stricly based on those who attend the workout and these clubs are solely "drafting" players in attendance?

If I was a borderline kid with the passion, heart, personal funding, and aspirations to continue chasing that dream, I would think attending one of these workouts would enhance the chances of making a club and signing a contract.

I'm going to make some calls,(One call being to McKeller) to get more insight, and try to spell it out for all of us to better understand in the coming days.

Good job finding the website,

Fackler

ok. here is the truth about this draft that is spoken of and the things that have been said about me.  Yes there is a draft at the end of the tryouts.  It was a Central league tryout that had around 350 to 400 players trying out.  It lasted 2 days. Bangor( which was in the Northeast league) was owed some players and had first pick of every player there. 
The draft was limited to the players there.  Neither of these leagues exist anymore.  The names have been changed.  It is pro ball.  Your getting paid.  Now, I was told that I could not pitch at the D1 level, but all that did was drive me to prove him wrong.  I was not the #1 pitcher at McNeese for both years I was there, but was the last year for a while.  And yes AJ25 you are right about me throwing 81 when I was a freshman at Lamar.  You listened well when I told you that at practice. Hope your doing well at Lon Morris.  Now what I want out there is not the path I had to take, its what these kids need to understand is it takes hard work to get to the next level.  Although Gilligan told me I was not that good, he gave me a chance and that got my foot in the door.  I had to work my butt off to do what I did and had some luck along with that. 
      This is probably one of the only post you will see from me, but I wanted to clear some things up.  For those of you that know me and want a full detail of what I had to do to earn a scholarship just call me.  They don't come easy.  Coaches at that level are trying to build winning programs and they don't just hand them out.  There is a lot of talent in this area that diserves looks, but that does not garantee money.  College sports is more of a buisness now than it has ever been.  Those coaches get paid to win.  They have to do whatever it takes to get the players they need that can give them the best chance to do that.
    Hope this cleared some things up.  If not.....sorry

McKeller

Thanks Mac,
I know after texting yesteday you didnt really care to write on this site, but thanks for spelling it out.

Will Henderson from Lamar played independent, Derek Blacksher(Bridge City-McNeese) who's had 2 tremendous seasons the past 2 yrs pitches up in St Louis, Kevin Millar worked the same path, Mike Trahan recruiting coach at ULL, played for SCHUAMBERG. Sean Obannion from Vidor High played as well. 
So it may be a small percentage who get to sign MLB Franchise contracts coming out of independent ball, yet its still an opportunity for those who get somewhat overlooked by the 'MLB amatuer' draft coming out of college.

[quote name="GTBBaseball" post="725850" timestamp="1260219522"]
Thanks Mac,
I know after texting yesteday you didnt really care to write on this site, but thanks for spelling it out.

Will Henderson from Lamar played independent, Derek Blacksher(Bridge City-McNeese) who's had 2 tremendous seasons the past 2 yrs pitches up in St Louis, Kevin Millar worked the same path, Mike Trahan recruiting coach at ULL, played for SCHUAMBERG. Sean Obannion from Vidor High played as well.  
[b]So it may be a small percentage who get to sign MLB Franchise contracts coming out of independent ball, yet its still an opportunity for those who get somewhat overlooked by the 'MLB amatuer' draft coming out of college.[/b][/quote]

Chris..

Thought I share a story about my favorite "independent leaguer" with you and the others on this thread. It's a story of perseverance and the opportunity that independent league ball can provide, as you mentioned. I'm biased to left handed-pitching  ;D ;D The name is George Sherrill, currently the late set-up and sometime southpaw closer for the LA Dodgers. The following is Sherrill's journey to "The Show".
Jackson State CC, transferred and played 3 years for Austin Peay College in Tennessee. ( Sherrill grew up in Tennesse ).
Undrafted out of college, signs with the Evansville Otters of the Independent Frontier League and plays for two seasons. In 2001, George gets traded to the Sioux Falls Canaries of the Independent Northern League, pitches one season. In 2002, traded to the Winnepeg Goldeyes of the Northern League. In July 2003 gets his 1st break and is signed by the Seattle Mariners, plays AA ball rest of the season. After season gets to play in Arizona Fall League and impresses. 2004- Sherrill pitches in AAA for Seattle. Makes his MLB debut in July 2004 at age 27. In 2005, splits time between AAA and MLB w/ Seattle. Sherrill has breakout season in 2007...now almost 30 years old and a pitcher. He's been counting money ever since. After being traded to Baltimore, Sherrill saves 52 games over 2 seasons and makes the 2008 All-Star game. In 2009, traded from last place Baltimore to title contender LA Dodgers. LA is currently rumoured to be trading Sherrill.....he's up for arbitration.  

What a story IMO.....about a kid ( not any longer ) that is determined to pitch in the "bigs".

Chris,
One of Kendall's pitching coaches is friends w/ Sherrill from their Winnepeg days.........otherwise I wouldn't know all of this.
Just thought I share.

I can concur on the amount of money being tossed around at both JUCO and D1, and the original poster is correct, not much is handed out.  Here are some guidelines:

1.  Good Grades - academic scholarships are out there, through the potential school and other third-parties.
2.  Ask about work study programs.
3.  Ask the questions about what is covered and what isn't.  Ask about other scholarships that are available.
4.  Fill out your Pell grant paperwork early and get it in.  Even if you think you won't quality, you'd be surprised.
5.  Diligence.  Stay on top of grades, paperwork, etc.  Make sure they file with the NCAA clearinghouse.  Call these coaches and ask them if they would try your kid out.

Between academic, athletic, pell grants and third-party scholarship money, athletes can attend school in-state at a bare minimum of expense from the parents.  I was able to get a 25% scholarship (baseball), work study and Pell grant money and out of pocket was less than $1,500 a year.  An Associate's degree later, and "beisbol has been berry berry good to me".

• 2 weeks later...
MMSLB,
I personally think the purpose of this site should be based on those who have traveled that "baseball development" road before to offer significant and relative information to aid those who are in the process of different aspects of the game.
To offer information to those who are in need of their questions being answered.
To 'tell your story and experiences" if you will, to those parents who's children are going through the progressions within the game as each year passes.
Also to bring an awareness of these young men locally who are doing well and attaining goals, be it athletic awards, academic awards, and/or earning scholarships or professional contracts.
And I carry the hopes we can continue to steer these "posts" in that direction and remain on path.

Chris Fackler

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder