Select Baseball effect on High School Baseball

Guest ruben

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think it is a terrible idea. What I have seen first hand over the years is that a select player is an absolute distraction to a high school baseball team. What happens in most, but not all cases is that the rest of the team sees the select player a prima-donna and most of the time the player thinks of himself as such. He is usually the coach favorite and gets special treatment from the coach. The rest of the team resents that fact and he becomes an out-cast while it ruins the team chemistry from there on. The rest of the team has worked just as hard and put in just as much time practicing but they dont get the credit that select players get for doing the same thing. Select ball has ruined all levels of baseball and most parents are also to blame for getting caught up in it. But to be honest- this is the U.S.A. and money talks!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="78Stang" post="716837" timestamp="1259074387"]
I personally think it is a terrible idea. What I have seen first hand over the years is that a select player is an absolute distraction to a high school baseball team. What happens in most, but not all cases is that the rest of the team sees the select player a prima-donna and most of the time the player thinks of himself as such. He is usually the coach favorite and gets special treatment from the coach. The rest of the team resents that fact and he becomes an out-cast while it ruins the team chemistry from there on. The rest of the team has worked just as hard and put in just as much time practicing but they dont get the credit that select players get for doing the same thing. Select ball has ruined all levels of baseball and most parents are also to blame for getting caught up in it. But to be honest- this is the U.S.A. and money talks!
[/quote]

You cannot be serious. What a load of sour grapes.

:D
OMG! You cant be serious!  Select ball only makes the high school team better!.
Any player that has plans on going to the next level plays select.  
If  Jr. is only playing for the letter jacket than he better be ready to ride the pine cause any coach worth is pay check is playing the kid that has been working all summer and fall to improve his game.

[/quote]

AGENDA...BIG TIME

It must be getting slow on the football forum and a long time to spring practice or 7 on 7. Take a look around this spring and see who pitches for most teams and be thankful for select baseball. Select baseball has taken a diminishing enrollment area and kept it close talent and championship wise to the growing areas in this state. It (select) has done wonders for the baseball IQ for East Texas players to where they can compete with the Houston/Dallas/Austin areas on a yearly basis. Money can be spent in a number of ways, but when you cross the chalk line it is all on the kid and his skills that he brings with him no matter where he got them. I'll let the dead horse go back to sleep now!

[/quote]

You can't be serious.  ::) ::) ::)

[/quote]You sound like one of those parents whose son has been surpassed by one of those select baseball players, who has put in the time, effort, and money to get better.

[quote name="bkatdog" post="716944" timestamp="1259087656"]
It must be getting slow on the football forum and a long time to spring practice or 7 on 7. Take a look around this spring and see who pitches for most teams and be thankful for select baseball. Select baseball has taken a diminishing enrollment area and kept it close talent and championship wise to the growing areas in this state. It (select) has done wonders for the baseball IQ for East Texas players to where they can compete with the Houston/Dallas/Austin areas on a yearly basis. Money can be spent in a number of ways, but when you cross the chalk line it is all on the kid and his skills that he brings with him no matter where he got them. I'll let the dead horse go back to sleep now!
[/quote]

Nicely put dog......I think it does wonders for individuals......

[/quote]

Select ball is a great asset to high school teams. The guys that run these programs are top notch and are well known on the state and national level. But, it all boils down to the player. Do they want to make the committment to make it to the next level ?

It's not easy to play Div 1 baseball. Of all the kids that have played Select baseball we have only 5 that have signed. 

Kirby Bellow (Nederland)
Jace Statum (Orangefield)
Jacob Felts (Orangefield)
Matt Hicks (Bridge City)
Trae Hester (Vidor)
Kane Benoit (PNG)

10% of the high school players will play college. We have 30 schools in our area, x 9 players = 270.

Looks like we will have 27 players play college next year, subtract the 6 that already signed that leaves 21 spots open ie. JC, Div II, Div III.

If you aren't playing ball when the high school season is over, the guy that is, just might get your spot.

[/quote]
Select ball is a competitive league. As a kid it takes extream dedication and desire to achieve. Which says alot about the kids work ethic to start out. They do this year round. Instead of playstation. As a parent it is very demanding. It just depends on what the kid is wanting and supporting his or her desires. If Your child Has to much idle time on there hands they will find something to do to fill the time. And you may not like what that is. I choose to support my child with productive things as a family. And select ball happens to be something he wants to do. He has a desire to be better. And he definitely works for it. As for coaches go. I would say that they know the work it takes to play select ball and most are looking for players with this work ethic. And players that truly have the desire to play the game. Not only at this level but beyond. As far as attitude. you would not find a more respectfull person. I have always seen him try and help the others with baseball. and there is no one he feels is below him that is for sure. he is friends with everyone. So I think Select ball is good for the kids and Highschool Ball.

[quote name="CATS80" post="717427" timestamp="1259161890"]
[quote author=78Stang link=topic=62918.msg716837#msg716837 date=1259074387]
[/quote]
Select ball is a competitive league. As a kid it takes extream dedication and desire to achieve. Which says alot about the kids work ethic to start out. They do this year round. Instead of playstation. As a parent it is very demanding. It just depends on what the kid is wanting and supporting his or her desires. If Your child Has to much idle time on there hands they will find something to do to fill the time. And you may not like what that is. I choose to support my child with productive things as a family. And select ball happens to be something he wants to do. He has a desire to be better. And he definitely works for it. As for coaches go. I would say that they know the work it takes to play select ball and most are looking for players with this work ethic. And players that truly have the desire to play the game. Not only at this level but beyond. As far as attitude. you would not find a more respectfull person. I have always seen him try and help the others with baseball. and there is no one he feels is below him that is for sure. he is friends with everyone. So I think Select ball is good for the kids and Highschool Ball.
[/quote]

Nice post..Cats. I agree..Select ball taught my kid more than just baseball.....made quite a few friends along the way too. Some of the best times and memories my son and I will have involve some of the trips we made and games he played.

Wow. I think I touched a few nerves with that post. First of all no it is NOT personal, I am talking about experience, first hand. There seems to be a huge misunderstanding that the non-select players are not playing ball or practicing during the summer and fall. Wrong! They are working just as hard, sometimes harder. No this is not a parent taking up for little Johnny. Little Johnny was a 4 year starter on Varsity and did very well while not playing select. However the select players were given special treatment by coaches while players with the same abilities road pine because of it. The attitudes of some of the select players is the problem I am talking about. Cocky! I watched as it totally tore the team apart and the select players ended up on a lonely island by themselves. NO I am not talking about ALL select players, I am talking about the majority. There are exceptions. As far as the post about select is the only way to get to the next level, that may be true, but that statement is a perfect example of my point. The select player is looking down the road and in most cases the rest of his high school team and buddies pay the price of his future goals not the immediate team goals which should be the most important.

I am glad 78Stang that you clarified your comment and I am sorry you have had a negative experience with Select Baseball. My son has played Select ball for seven years and is beginning his third season of Highschool ball. I have not seen the problems you have descibed. We have several Select players on our Highschool team and I have not heard any complaints. These young men tend to be the leaders of the team and not the source of moral problems. A Select player generally brings to a team a better understanding of the game. This all comes from hard work and most coaches reward hard work whether you are a Select player or not. As for as the "Prima Donas" you described, I can only say that my son has been taught that the team comes first and he needs to do his job. His job is to play the very best baseball he can. I've seen that quality in the other Select players on our team. I believe the experiences you have had are not in the "majority" that you described.

[quote name="GY55" post="717603" timestamp="1259183906"]
I am glad 78Stang that you clarified your comment and I am sorry you have had a negative experience with Select Baseball. My son has played Select ball for seven years and is beginning his third season of Highschool ball. I have not seen the problems you have descibed. We have several Select players on our Highschool team and I have not heard any complaints. These young men tend to be the leaders of the team and not the source of moral problems. A Select player generally brings to a team a better understanding of the game. This all comes from hard work and most coaches reward hard work whether you are a Select player or not. As for as the "Prima Donas" you described, I can only say that my son has been taught that the team comes first and he needs to do his job. His job is to play the very best baseball he can. I've seen that quality in the other Select players on our team. I believe the experiences you have had are not in the "majority" that you described.
[/quote]

AMEN Bro!!!

[quote name="GY55" post="717603" timestamp="1259183906"]
[/quote]

Ditto.

I appreciate all the input. There was plenty of positive, as well as, good information in these posts. From a personal standpoint, I can say that playing Select Baseball is the best thing to do if you want to improve your game and take it to the next level. Will it help at the High School level...you bet it will. There are many kids playing Select Baseball and those schools who have several of these kids playing will improve their High School team. The competition is so great, because you have to bring your "A" game each and every day knowing you will play against the best. This is the part of playing Select Baseball that makes you a much and improved player!

If the parents have the means and their sons wants to continue playing after High School, then Select Baseball is the answer. It's not cheap. There are plenty of expenses associated with playing Select Baseball. You have to look at it like an investment and hope it pays off!

Also, just for your information, when you fill out a Baseball Questionnaire for any College or University, you will see that there is plenty of information asked about Select Baseball. All of those scouts and recruiters want to know what organization you played with and for how long. Another plus for playing Select Baseball, is that if you put out the effort and work hard, your coaches will contact Colleges or Universities and help you get a scholarship. In the end, this is what playing Select Baseball is all about!

IMO....select does give better competition during the summer BUT Here lies the problem....  many of those so called coaches are not trained and are PAID!!  They pick and dump their players based on performance.... even 10 and 12 year olds....
Their is some trouble coming and people are not wise to it.... it has already started in Houston in baseball and is starting in football..
people think that select is the way to go and are being persuaded by their so called select "coach" to NOT play high school and just play select..... saying that to get a scholarship that select is the way to go....NOT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

Look at it from a select coach's point of view: to get paid I have to have players...... they have to have money to pay me... so how can I get paid??? persuade them!!!!

IMO select can destroy high school baseball!!!

Finally somebody who see it the way it really is, thanks hitman. It is all about MONEY, plain and simple. I have the money, I have the time, I can travel but the one thing I will not do is suck-up! Be real and ask yourself how many times you as a parent kissed the select coaches butt? Also be real and ask yourself why, is this super great, all-world coach, coaching a kids select team? Answer- he could not cut it as a high school or college coach so the last resort is taking suckers money and making tons of promises he cant keep. Good luck with all of that suckers.

"Finally somebody who see it the way it really is, thanks hitman. It is all about MONEY, plain and simple. I have the money, I have the time, I can travel but the one thing I will not do is suck-up! Be real and ask yourself how many times you as a parent kissed the select coaches butt? Also be real and ask yourself why, is this super great, all-world coach, coaching a kids select team? Answer- he could not cut it as a high school or college coach so the last resort is taking suckers money and making tons of promises he cant keep. Good luck with all of that suckers."..............

Wow, what a post.  I coach select, and it's a hobby, not a job (although many times it feels like a job).  I have a job that pays the bills, and do this because I take an interest in my son.  How can more baseball be a bad thing?  If you did your job 3 months out of the year, 3 times a week you probably wouldn't succeed.  My son loves baseball, and league ball just wasn't doing it for him.  He loves the traveling, he loves the competition, and he wants to get better.  I've been on both sides, and I kind of see what you're saying in part of the post.  A lot of coaches simply play their favorites, and politics does come into play.  You know the solution, you deal with it, you start your own team, or you go back to league ball.  Every coach though has done their best and we have had no complaints.  To group all coaches into the category you did is simply wrong.  I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with select ball, but it makes the kids better, and it serves a purpose.  I must be doing something wrong, because I'm not making any money coaching, and the only promises I'm making is that I'll do my best.  Oh, I also know I'm not "super-great" or "all-world"....I'm just bumbling through life trying to do the best I can for my kids.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="78Stang" post="718750" timestamp="1259372177"]
Finally somebody who see it the way it really is, thanks hitman. It is all about MONEY, plain and simple. I have the money, I have the time, I can travel but the one thing I will not do is suck-up! Be real and ask yourself how many times you as a parent kissed the select coaches butt? Also be real and ask yourself why, is this super great, all-world coach, coaching a kids select team? Answer- he could not cut it as a high school or college coach so the last resort is taking suckers money and making tons of promises he cant keep. Good luck with all of that suckers.
[/quote]

What a contradiction you seem to be. Do you like "select" or not? Make up your mind.

This world is full of suck ups. It's what they do. Please do not paint "select" with such a broad paint brush. If my child plays for a "select" team and that coach plays kids based on what their PARENTS do, I'm outta there. There are just too many other opportunities available. If you had some problems with a coach, address him personally and move on.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
    • I heard the assistant was going to get this job and assume it was referring to the old Vidor coach, Nate Smith.  I always thought he did more with less at Vidor and can't help but think he shares some responsibility in Vidor's recent success. 
    • Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.
  • Topics