Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

[quote name="bh89-2" post="711751" timestamp="1258592389"]
I agree and have always said, Price did what appears to be a great job securing money for facilities.  Wish him luck and he should not have trouble finding a job.  I figure he would retire with his wife somewhere in the hill country.  She can practice law anywhere.

As for a new coach, I agree and hope we go outside and do our due dilligence to find the best candidate for the job.  That's coming from someone who is about as BH as it comes, from a relative and historical family tree standpoint.  I want to be able and sit in the stands, win or lose know the coach is doing the best he can to lead the boys on and off the field.  [b]The respect and sportsmanship [/b] [b]everyone credits Price for is something kids who live in BH learn long before they reach high school.[/b]  That has always been the case, at least since we beat a team by 90 or more points long ago.

Like it or not, this is the right decision for BH due to many reasons.  This decision had very little to do with X's and O's or wins and losses.  There are politics everywhere, especially in a high profile job.

[/quote]

Not a knock on Price but you are absolutely correct on that one.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will definitely be interesting to watch and see how the search for a new AD/HC will go for The Hill.

But I agree with many of you. Coach Price did one heck of a job in his tenure as both a Head and an Assistant Coach. It is sad to see him go, simply because he is a great guy and did so much to improve this program and more importantly the work he did to help, improve, and make men out of the kids that he coached. He will be sorely missed. Congrats on a great tenure at The Hill Coach.

Your Price's, Evans', Martel brothers, Valastro's are hard to come by.  With the politics on the Hill, I hope they can find someone good to replace Coach Price!!! Living in Chambers County, politics are thick and hopefully it won't cause a problem, I'm sure it will, because the KIDS need someone there who is a coach on and off the field!!!  Good Luck BH

I want to say this to all of you that have been praying for this day to come. If our board doesn't hire a great coach, and we get a guy in here that goes 5-5 the next three or four years, or who gets beat in the first round of the playoffs every time. I will be on here throwing it back in your face. See what I'm expecting with all the great talent we have, is a State Championship for the next three years. It wasn't exceptable for Price to go one or two rounds seven out of ten years, so the bar is set very high for the next guy.

With that said, if we get a guy that does great with our program and improves it. I'll be on here saying how wrong I was about Price, and it was time for him to go and all of you were correct. If we are kicking tail I'll be happy to eat (you know what) everyday...I'd love that. I guess you can tell I don't have ANY confidence that I'll have to do that.

I hope and pray, that I get to eat all of my words...I mean it, I really want to eat them. I'm not one, that just because a coach I like is leaving I want the program to go down...I'm afraid of exactly that.

[quote name="watup" post="711799" timestamp="1258598686"]
Your Price's, Evans', Martel brothers, Valastro's are hard to come by.  With the politics on the Hill, I hope they can find someone good to replace Coach Price!!! Living in Chambers County, politics are thick and hopefully it won't cause a problem, I'm sure it will, because the KIDS need someone there who is a coach on and off the field!!!  Good Luck BH
[/quote]

Ah heck...show me an Optimist Club program, a little league baseball league, or high school board ANYWHERE where there aren't politics involved in some capacity!!!!  It's everywhere!!!!!!

Hey Hillguy, is there chance cuz' would come to the Hill????

[quote name="bh34" post="711892" timestamp="1258609177"]
I want to say this to all of you that have been praying for this day to come. If our board doesn't hire a great coach, and we get a guy in here that goes 5-5 the next three or four years, or who gets beat in the first round of the playoffs every time. I will be on here throwing it back in your face. See what I'm expecting with all the great talent we have, is a State Championship for the next three years. It wasn't exceptable for Price to go one or two rounds seven out of ten years, so the bar is set very high for the next guy.
[/quote]

I'm sorry before I even start but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The Hill has a lot of mediocre athletes that mommy and daddy think are at least small D1 material and the honest truth is that I can think of maybe 5 since 1995 that would be D1 football players possibly. And thats not a hit on the kids at all. Cause they work their butts of and have for years to be better than teams that out-athlete them. But the truth is that they are not all that naturally talented and never really have been. And when you are playing in District you face teams that are good and bad. But when you get to the playoffs... everyone is good. So natural athletes start to play a much bigger role. And when a team like the Hill who is and has been very fundamentally sound and hard working but just mediocre athlete-wise and they get to the playoffs and play a team like we have in the past (Kirbyville, Central, PNG, etc.) who is also fundamentally sounds but has one or two big name players that are naturally great athletes it is the deciding factor. Barbers Hill in the last 10 years has not had the Athlete-pool do go any further than one or two rounds. That has nothing to do with coaching and it will remain that way with the next coach unless he brings some phenomenal athlete to town with him.

[quote name="BHBrave08" post="711925" timestamp="1258636089"]
[quote author=bh34 link=topic=62612.msg711892#msg711892 date=1258609177]
[/quote]

I'm sorry before I even start but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The Hill has a lot of mediocre athletes that mommy and daddy think are at least small D1 material and the honest truth is that I can think of maybe 5 since 1995 that would be D1 football players possibly. And thats not a hit on the kids at all. Cause they work their butts of and have for years to be better than teams that out-athlete them. But the truth is that they are not all that naturally talented and never really have been. And when you are playing in District you face teams that are good and bad. But when you get to the playoffs... everyone is good. So natural athletes start to play a much bigger role. And when a team like the Hill who is and has been very fundamentally sound and hard working but just mediocre athlete-wise and they get to the playoffs and play a team like we have in the past (Kirbyville, Central, PNG, etc.) who is also fundamentally sounds but has one or two big name players that are naturally great athletes it is the deciding factor. Barbers Hill in the last 10 years has not had the Athlete-pool do go any further than one or two rounds. That has nothing to do with coaching and it will remain that way with the next coach unless he brings some phenomenal athlete to town with him.
[/quote]
This is the truth Barbers Hill fans don't want to hear...
As someone who has seen all the talent that is feeding up to Barbers Hill from Junior High (by watching them play at Dayton), there are two groups that do have talent, the current 9th graders and 7th graders are GOOD!, but...
not good enough to beat Dayton, which is one of the best 4A football programs in the region.
Forecast for Barbers Hill over the next half decade is they will have a team good enough to post winning records and maybe win a playoff game here or there, but a region III championship trophy (winning quarter finals) is probably not in the opting considering NONE of their teams beat Dayton this year (except for the last round of junior high games (8th A beat Dayton)).
IMO...
Coach Price was a good coach and got all he could out of what he was given.
If the people in Barbers Hill think they can win the Kentucky derby riding a mule more power to them, but it is setting up the new coach for failure.

[quote name="BHBrave08" post="711925" timestamp="1258636089"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What Big time athlete's does PNG have this year? This always seems to be the case where folks talk down the talent at BH while hyping the coaches. There are plenty of programs that are successful in the state with out DIV1 talent. BH has been beaten in the playoff by teams with no big name athlete's. Now don't get me wrong I am aware that BH doesn't have DIV1 talent, but as a whole I think the kids at BH should be able to compete in our area. The coaches are a big part of the developement of the kids, but BH parents spend tons of money during the off season with special camps and coaching to make there kids better. I know some folks are upset due to coach Price leaving and some (BH34) would just love to see the next guy fail ,so he could flap his wings an say "I told you so". Me on the other hand could care less! Alot of folks have been wanting a change at BH and Price made several changes during the last 4-5 years to try and make BH better, Those attempts failed for what ever reason. The important thing here is the Kids at BH and the schools Tradition! Folks live in BH for a reason and its not the new Sonic ;D Bring on the new coach and lets see what the Eagles are capable of! 10 years is a lifetime for a Football Coach to be a t a school! I hope Coach Price goes to another school and wins 5 State Championships! This is not the end of the world for Price or BH both will be just fine!

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="711941" timestamp="1258638629"]
[quote author=BHBrave08 link=topic=62612.msg711925#msg711925 date=1258636089]
[/quote]

[/quote]
This is the truth Barbers Hill fans don't want to hear...
As someone who has seen all the talent that is feeding up to Barbers Hill from Junior High (by watching them play at Dayton), there are two groups that do have talent, the current 9th graders and 7th graders are GOOD!, but...
not good enough to beat Dayton, which is one of the best 4A football programs in the region.
Forecast for Barbers Hill over the next half decade is they will have a team good enough to post winning records and maybe win a playoff game here or there, but a region III championship trophy (winning quarter finals) is probably not in the opting considering NONE of their teams beat Dayton this year (except for the last round of junior high games (8th A beat Dayton)).
IMO...
Coach Price was a good coach and got all he could out of what he was given.
If the people in Barbers Hill think they can win the Kentucky derby riding a mule more power to them, but it is setting up the new coach for failure.
[/quote]

Purple please pull your head out ;D you could have said the same thing about Dayton the Year before Stewart showed up! The only thing you know about BH is the last 3 years, BH had lots of talent in the early 2000's! Dayton was blessed with 2 DIV 1 players which lead them to state and regionals, doesn't mean that it will just be like that from now on. Goodluck in the next round

Just like we said earlier BHFAN its the parents..At the Hill all the parents send there kids to special camps...Sending your kids to camps is not going to make him a D-1 kid..Camps are nothing but a money making scheme for the assistant coaches in college...Price was in hot water before the season even started due to parents from the 9th grade bitching about there kids should be playing on varsity..What a way to start your year off before the first snap...

[quote name="Stranger" post="711968" timestamp="1258641177"]
Sorry BHFan, but BH did not have lots of talent in the early 2000's.  They had a bunch of guys that worked their tails off week in and week out and did what it took to win.
[/quote]

Sounds like talent to me ;D

[color=blue]"What Big time athlete's does PNG have this year? This always seems to be the case where folks talk down the talent at BH while hyping the coaches. There are plenty of programs that are successful in the state with out DIV1 talent. BH has been beaten in the playoff by teams with no big name athlete's. Now don't get me wrong I am aware that BH doesn't have DIV1 talent, but as a whole I think the kids at BH should be able to compete in our area. The coaches are a big part of the developement of the kids, but BH parents spend tons of money during the off season with special camps and coaching to make there kids better. I know some folks are upset due to coach Price leaving and some (BH34) would just love to see the next guy fail ,so he could flap his wings an say "I told you so". Me on the other hand could care less! Alot of folks have been wanting a change at BH and Price made several changes during the last 4-5 years to try and make BH better, Those attempts failed for what ever reason. The important thing here is the Kids at BH and the schools Tradition! Folks live in BH for a reason and its not the new Sonic  Bring on the new coach and lets see what the Eagles are capable of! 10 years is a lifetime for a Football Coach to be a t a school! I hope Coach Price goes to another school and wins 5 State Championships! This is not the end of the world for Price or BH both will be just fine!"[/color]

BHFan even if some folks did wish the next guy to fail it would be no different than what the Price haters have done for the last several years. Believe it or not, although we disagree with the decision because of the reasons he was forced out, most of us all want the best for BH athletes.

To adress the PNG portion of your comments, BH no doubt had the best athlete on the field period at the QB position. But look at the OL & DL size of PNG and the size at just about every position on the field and the sheer number of players PNG had compared to BH. It wasn't even close. Sure we had more team speed which is why we competed, but not game changing, break away speed.

I have no idea whether or not you are in that group of fans that agree with the inner circle on the board that wanted him gone so they can bring back the glory days to the other sport BH was known for. But I do know that you have been around long enough to know what they tried in the past and that it is that same group driving this change.

Good luck to the new regime coming in but know this, if the sport you coach has a ball with pointed ends on it, you will be second fiddle now that the roundballers are in control.

Coach Price did a good job trying to stay on top of 2 jobs (AD/HC). It is time to step it up and have a coach who is up to speed and current on Football only and have an AD to watch over the budget, all sports and teams. What I noticed from watching our football teams versus the teams that beat us is that the other teams knew how to make adjustments (at halftime) toward what we did and we never did adjust for the them. Case in point, we went back to running the QB and throwing passes the whole PNG game and just 3 weeks before we were running Stubbs (McMillan hurt) and making good gains. We had the chance to run Stubbs and McMillan the 2nd half to ADJUST and we never saw them. To me, that is bad coaching. We would have been in the game if we had. That happened al year. Just My 2 cents.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="711945" timestamp="1258638787"]
[quote author=BHBrave08 link=topic=62612.msg711925#msg711925 date=1258636089]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What Big time athlete's does PNG have this year? This always seems to be the case where folks talk down the talent at BH while hyping the coaches. There are plenty of programs that are successful in the state with out DIV1 talent. BH has been beaten in the playoff by teams with no big name athlete's. Now don't get me wrong I am aware that BH doesn't have DIV1 talent, but as a whole I think the kids at BH should be able to compete in our area. The coaches are a big part of the developement of the kids, but BH parents spend tons of money during the off season with special camps and coaching to make there kids better. I know some folks are upset due to coach Price leaving and some (BH34) would just love to see the next guy fail ,so he could flap his wings an say "I told you so". Me on the other hand could care less! Alot of folks have been wanting a change at BH and Price made several changes during the last 4-5 years to try and make BH better, Those attempts failed for what ever reason. The important thing here is the Kids at BH and the schools Tradition! Folks live in BH for a reason and its not the new Sonic ;D Bring on the new coach and lets see what the Eagles are capable of! 10 years is a lifetime for a Football Coach to be a t a school! I hope Coach Price goes to another school and wins 5 State Championships! This is not the end of the world for Price or BH both will be just fine!
[/quote]

Hey, Brave and Bhfan, are ya'll smoking crack? Did ya'll actually read my post?  

First off Brave, what do you think I was getting at in my post? Me and you agree 100%!! I know what Don had to work with and understand the great job he did with the talent he had. It wasn't good enough, for some though, they thought we should go three or four rounds every year(I wish we could have also) I understood were we stood talent wise with other teams once we got past the first round, and then throw in some bad luck, like losing Chris his senior year etc.etc. So now the next coach coming in here(using Price as a standard) has to go more than two rounds every year or he should be fired also...I mean, isn't that what we just did? I think you missed the sarcasm in my comments.

Now Bhfan, I DO NOT want our next coach to fail!!! I said I hope that I get to eat my words on defending Price!!! I love this school and, NEVER, EVER, would want it to do bad, just so I could flap my wings about how wrong others were. I hope and pray that our board hires a great coach, that comes in here and far exceeds anything Price has done...I want to be wrong about Price leaving!!!  I want... no desire, to come back on here and tell you, and all the others, that I was wrong about Price and he should have gone long ago. But, if we get some nothing coach that takes the program backwards, then I'll be on here reminding you and others of what we lost...I hope and pray I don't have to do that. BHfan please don't turn my words around to say something I didn't say. I said in my post, that I am NOT one of those people that hope the program fails because my guy is gone. No matter what, I will always support our team, and the new coach. If he does a great job, I'll stick up for him just like I and others have done for Don. I have NO personal relationship with Don, so this isn't about politics. I just understand the great thing he has done here, and where the program was when he came and how much it improved under his leadership...even moving into 4a.

[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="711994" timestamp="1258642466"]
Coach Price did a good job trying to stay on top of 2 jobs (AD/HC). It is time to step it up and have a coach who is up to speed and current on Football only and have an AD to watch over the budget, all sports and teams. What I noticed from watching our football teams versus the teams that beat us is that the other teams knew how to make adjustments (at halftime) toward what we did and we never did adjust for the them. Case in point, we went back to running the QB and throwing passes the whole PNG game and just 3 weeks before we were running Stubbs (McMillan hurt) and making good gains. We had the chance to run Stubbs and McMillan the 2nd half to ADJUST and we never saw them. To me, that is bad coaching. We would have been in the game if we had. That happened al year. Just My 2 cents.
[/quote]

Dayton's AD/HC doesn't seem to have any problems juggling both jobs.

Price is a good coach, if BH wants change then change it. [b]You don't have to villainize a good man to make it OK[/b]. It sounds like a done deal, thank him for what he has done for BH Athletics and move on.

[quote name="bigdaddyblue" post="711970" timestamp="1258641237"]
Just like we said earlier BHFAN its the parents..At the Hill all the parents send there kids to special camps...Sending your kids to camps is not going to make him a D-1 kid..Camps are nothing but a money making scheme for the assistant coaches in college...Price was in hot water before the season even started due to parents from the 9th grade bitching about there kids should be playing on varsity..What a way to start your year off before the first snap...
[/quote]

Exactly

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012