2010 TRACK MEETS

TFOREMAN

[quote name="TFOREMAN" post="715962" timestamp="1258945824"]
WOS will host Mustang Relays at Orangefield on Feb. 27 2010.  I will be sending out info on this meet sometime after the Thanksgiving holidays.  For any additional info you can contact me by email at [email protected] or [email protected].

Thank You,

Toby Foreman
[/quote]

Looking forward to helping out in this one!

[quote name="TFOREMAN" post="710690" timestamp="1258475009"]
I know I'm early on this question, but if your school has set your track meet date, could you please list the date and location.  I know of a few meets:  Ozen will host a meet on Feb. 20 and Nederland will host a meet on Feb12.

Thank You,

Toby Foreman
[/quote]
i can wait to run in this one

[quote name="3A-CC-Coach" post="723580" timestamp="1259945465"]
Here are the meets I found on txrunning and texastrack.

Friday March 5              Barbers Hill
Saturday April 10           Ty Terrel – Lamar U

Also, I have heard that most of the 4A schools in the area are wanting to host their meets on Thursday so that the baseball guys can attend.  Personally I hope this doesn't happen.  I'd hate to lose an extra day of training the whole season.  Once or twice wouldn't be too bad, but I would take a Fri/Sat meet over Thurs any day.  

[/quote]
Yeah you have a good point running meets on a THUR takes away from your good training.. most teams should have four good workouts b4 a SAT Meet and 3 good workouts b4 a Fri meet..

What days do you think schools like the Woodlands, Kingwood, Skyline, Rowlett, and other high powered track teams run on?  Let me answer that one for you on Friday and Saturday.  Seriously if the whole team has to suffer for a few individuals that is retarded.  You should practice monday - friday and then have a meet on Saturday.  Most coaches would rather sleep on Saturday that does a disservice to the kids and coaches who love track.  There are way too many Thursday track meets.  When I was in high school in '99 we never went to a Thursday track meet.  Just doesn't make any sense.

Your right, for schools like The Woodlands that is great.  But, some smaller schools the athletes play all sports and most of your track athletes are just athletes running track.  Not track athletes like some schools like TWHS has.  You have to do whats best for your program.

Well I coach at a 3A school Huffman, and I would like to think that we have Track Athletes (4 State Qualifiers in Track last year, and one State Champion).  If you wanna be the best, shouldn't you practice like the best.  Cutting out practices isn't going to make you better.  If you have a kid who is good enough to help out your Track team while still competing at other sports, then they will make it happen (practice that is and making it to the meets).  How many baseball/softball games are on Saturdays besides tournaments?  Not many I promise you that.  The track season is long enough to coordinate games and meets, if you are at a smaller school then your coaches should get together and plan tournaments opposite of track meets, and if one overlaps then the baseball/softball kids miss the track meet.  It is as simple as that, and it is that simple with a little communication among coaches.  

You have 2 scenarios:  
1)  Thursday - Track Meet; Friday - Baseball/Softball Game and possible track practice if you can get them to come after a LONG THURSDAY NIGHT usually till 11 or 12 pm; Saturday - softball/baseball practice (Dual Sport kid beneficial, Track athletes not beneficial missing out on practices and quality track meets, Lazy Coaches - beneficial)

2) Thursday - Track, baseball, softball practice;  Friday - Baseball/Softball game, track practice; Saturday - Track Meet, Baseball/Softball Practice (Track Athlete beneficial, Dual Sport Beneficial, Lazy Coaches - Not beneficial)

Hopefully that makes since.

I understand that I am a die hard track/cross country coach, but believe it or not all kids aren't good at just football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball.  ALL SCHOOLS 1A - 5A have kids that are willing to put in the work, but the problem is sometimes the coaches aren't.  You have to find them!  Track is a sport that can benefit all Schools Athletic programs, if they take it serious. I ran track at McNeese State University, and I always talk about every football player that went pro either was on the McNeese Track Team or came out their every week during offseason for advice or workouts from the track coaches.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder