Vidor vs. Dayton Predictions?

Everybody in Dayton knows that the 28 - 0 Crosby game was a fluke. Everyone knows it, but nobody wants to say it because it would sound like we are making excuses. But I'll say it. It was a mud bowl fluke! 5 fumbles inside your own 20 yard line is a fluke! Don't get me wrong though, Crosby is a very much improved team this year. They probably would have beaten us anyway. Just not 28-0. IMO

I think the key to the Vidor game, for Dayton, will be those nasty turnovers. Gotta hold on to the pigskin! Also field position will be another big key. Vidor will have some success running the ball. We just can't give them short fields. I seem to remember Crosby running the ball fairly well against us. They just didn't have far to run.

Dayton's team has improved alot on both sides of the ball. The sophmore QB still has some maturing to do but he has done a fine job. Dayton moves the ball well, but we have to finish drives with TD's to win. That has been a problem at times this year. I don't think it will be "ugly" like some of my fellow Bronco fans seem to think. I see it playing out much like the Livingston game last year. Hard fought in the trenches. Dayton wins by 10.

Good luck to both teams!

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the deal with only beating BH forgive me if I get this wrong but I think the score was 24 to 21? My only point is that I really believe that 19-4A is not that tough. I mean who is really a tough out  you have nobody in 19-4A  that was like last years Broncos team or even like last years C.E. king team. I really think that the whole district is weaker than last years if you look at the fall off of King/ North Forest and Crosby, who in my opinion was much better last year. I also happen to rember your scrimage with Lumberton this year that didn't turn out too well. To be honest with you I really followed last years Bronco team closely and have also this year just a habit after the last 2 years post seasons. I am just not that impressed with this years edition of the Broncos.

[quote name="daddy23" post="703663" timestamp="1257890519"]
I have not seen Dayton play in person or on film this year.  I have seen all the Vidor games (except PNG).  I am inherently biased towards the Pirates.

I would really be surprised if Dayton's offense is not succesful on Saturday.  I do not see anybody (including Vidor homers) predicting a shutout by the Pirates.  In fact, the best defense that Vidor has against Dayton is their offense.  If the offense can move the ball the way it has in most of the games this year, then Dayton will be given a limited number of possesions to work with.  If Vidor can break up some passes, get some sacks, or big penalities, then Dayton's offense may fail to find a solid rythm.  

On Saturday, I really thought that the game would be high scoring and hopefully with the Pirates coming out on top.

Now, I read 12 pages of Dayton homers posting about how strong their Defense is.  How good they are against the run.  How they do not have the lineman to go with any more than a 3-man front.  How fast and smart their LBs are.  How no team has been able to run the football on them all year.  

All of this I want to chalk up as trash talk (remember, I am a fan) but I realize that it is probably mostly true.  

Vidor's stregth is no secret.  You can check for yourself.  Vidor has run the ball with great sucess against almost every opponent.  If Dayton's strength is stopping the run, then this really is going to be a battle of Strength's.  

Dayton is the favorite based on district seed, experience, and record.  But I do think this is a match-up that Vidor can win (and I really hope that they do).  I do think that I now know what to look for on Saturday night early.  If Vidor can run the ball early, then I think the advantage swings back to Vidor.
[/quote]

Dang it....what is this??  There's no room on this thread for intelligent football talk!!  Dayton's strength on defense is stopping the run. The offense is balanced and capable of scoring every play.  The achilles heel has been turnovers....

Vidor did a good job forcing turnovers and stops against Lumberton.  Vidor is also BIG and will have to be able to take advantage of their size.  It's not really about pure speed either....it's about quickness and Dayton is quick.

[quote name="daddy23" post="703663" timestamp="1257890519"]
I have not seen Dayton play in person or on film this year.  I have seen all the Vidor games (except PNG).  I am inherently biased towards the Pirates.

I would really be surprised if Dayton's offense is not succesful on Saturday.  I do not see anybody (including Vidor homers) predicting a shutout by the Pirates.  In fact, the best defense that Vidor has against Dayton is their offense.  If the offense can move the ball the way it has in most of the games this year, then Dayton will be given a limited number of possesions to work with.  If Vidor can break up some passes, get some sacks, or big penalities, then Dayton's offense may fail to find a solid rythm.  

On Saturday, I really thought that the game would be high scoring and hopefully with the Pirates coming out on top.

Now, I read 12 pages of Dayton homers posting about how strong their Defense is.  How good they are against the run.  How they do not have the lineman to go with any more than a 3-man front.  How fast and smart their LBs are.  How no team has been able to run the football on them all year.  

All of this I want to chalk up as trash talk (remember, I am a fan) but I realize that it is probably mostly true.  

Vidor's stregth is no secret.  You can check for yourself.  Vidor has run the ball with great sucess against almost every opponent.  If Dayton's strength is stopping the run, then this really is going to be a battle of Strength's.  

Dayton is the favorite based on district seed, experience, and record.  But I do think this is a match-up that Vidor can win (and I really hope that they do).  I do think that I now know what to look for on Saturday night early.  If Vidor can run the ball early, then I think the advantage swings back to Vidor.
[/quote]
Good post...
Vidor MUST have at least one or hopefully two long drives in the first half.
If they have more than one three and out, it will be a long night.
From experience, I know how good a Vidor running machine is.
If Dayton can't slow down Vidor's running game it really puts pressure on the Bronco offense.
Just looking at my videos over the last three games, it is amazing how many times the Bronco's defensive front has tackled teams for losses on running plays between the tackles.
I don't think Vidor has the team speed to run sweeps against the Broncos.
Vidor will have to run the ball between the tackles, if they can't do this, the Black Pearl will sink until next year.

[quote name="VHS89" post="703692" timestamp="1257892173"]
What was the deal with only beating BH forgive me if I get this wrong but I think the score was 24 to 21? My only point is that I really believe that 19-4A is not that tough. I mean who is really a tough out  you have nobody in 19-4A  that was like last years Broncos team or even like last years C.E. king team. I really think that the whole district is weaker than last years if you look at the fall off of King/ North Forest and Crosby, who in my opinion was much better last year. I also happen to rember your scrimage with Lumberton this year that didn't turn out too well. To be honest with you I really followed last years Bronco team closely and have also this year just a habit after the last 2 years post seasons. I am just not that impressed with this years edition of the Broncos.
[/quote]
Against Barbers Hill that is the game Dayton moved all of it's people around.
Dayton's sophomore QB took 2 quarters to get in rythm then.....
BAM!
Dayton crushed Barbers Hill in the 3rd quarter, then the Eagles did a great job of moving the ball in the 4th quarter with two long drives.
The score was close, but given the situation with Dayton's QB and moving the players around, and NOT HAVING PLOCH, if Dayton were to play the Eagles now, they would win by much more than three points.

[quote name="vidor96pirates" post="703695" timestamp="1257892364"]
Vidor Pirates 3436 rushing yards this season, returning 19 starters I believe.
[/quote]
That is right at 343 yards per game.
If they can do that Saturday, they may be able to stay close.
The last three teams Dayton played had less than 100 yards per game rushing.

It's only Tuesday and the smack talk is fading into good football analysis :(.  We haven't even made it past the our team is better than your team and gotten to the our town is better than your town (although we typically lose that battle, can we get a Wal-Mart at least?).

Toups/RAPayne....can one of y'all post the stats of both teams?  What about starting line-ups?  Anyone from Vidor have some game film?  P4E has all the Dayton highlights out on Youtube (well he normally does but he's been SLACKING this year). 

Concerning Daytons linebackers, I just spoke with a buddy of mine who lives in Dayton and he was saying that there has been tremendous movement of players at the inside linebacker position I assume that the ex running back is one of the current starters and that the other is an offensive lineman that has been moved there . Now he wasn't certain but he thought that they had only been playing at these positions for the last 2-3 games. Is this true if so that is not much experience to think that you can stop a running attack like Vidor has. I bet that the coach has a couple of things that these boys haven't ever seen before at least on the defensive side of the ball. I still get back to the same question who have you beaten??

[quote name="VHS89" post="703730" timestamp="1257895606"]
Concerning Daytons linebackers, I just spoke with a buddy of mine who lives in Dayton and he was saying that there has been tremendous movement of players at the inside linebacker position I assume that the ex running back is one of the current starters and that the other is an offensive lineman that has been moved there . Now he wasn't certain but he thought that they had only been playing at these positions for the last 2-3 games. Is this true if so that is not much experience to think that you can stop a running attack like Vidor has. I bet that the coach has a couple of things that these boys haven't ever seen before at least on the defensive side of the ball. I still get back to the same question who have you beaten??
[/quote] I might ask you the same question !

[quote name="rollinac" post="703722" timestamp="1257894673"]
It's only Tuesday and the smack talk is fading into good football analysis :(.  We haven't even made it past the our team is better than your team and gotten to the our town is better than your town (although we typically lose that battle, can we get a Wal-Mart at least?).

Toups/RAPayne....can one of y'all post the stats of both teams?  What about starting line-ups?  Anyone from Vidor have some game film?  P4E has all the Dayton highlights out on Youtube (well he normally does but he's been SLACKING this year). 
[/quote]
Games 8 and 9 are posted...
Will start working on the LBJ game tonight.
With me doing the voice overs, I am only going to post those videos up....

I will give you that our record is no more impressive than yours, but  I have read all that you have had to say about your team on this site and I have even been to one of your games to watch. I have also seen us play BMT Central to within 1 point and I don't believe that you are better than Bmt. Cntl. I will also pass along something  that all of our players get on this site and read what we have to say some of these kids might actually believe that they are as good as we say they are, maybe the Dayton linebackers I hope HA HA HA. Good luck to both teams lets hope for a hard fought game. God Bless and everyone have a safe trip there and back.

[/quote]

I typed a long response typed and then deleted it..... we'll just have to see how those 2 do on saturday.

I see you amended your statement about the teams we have beaten.  :-\.... nothing terribly impressive on your end to back it with. ;)

Love our team....supreme confidence in our coaching staff.  We've watched this team grow and mature and everyone is settline into their roles.  They are starting to peak.  The who beat who is meaningless or who have you beat.  Dayton has problems against the spread offense with teams that can throw the ball.  I guess we had "problems" with Livingston....more like we beat them by 10 instead of 35.  I assure you this year's team is right in line with the past 2. 

[/quote]

You guys haven't beaten a single team with a winning record.

[quote name="downgoesfrazier" post="703805" timestamp="1257903723"]
You guys haven't beaten a single team with a winning record.
[/quote]

Well ... there is always a first time for everything. And after looking at this season so far, eh...  ;D

But hey, like the rest of this season, I'm not predicting a score. I'm just going to predict a very exciting and hopefully injury-free game on both sides.

GO PIRATES, JAGS, BULLDOGS, AND INDIANS!!!

[/quote]
Actually...
Dayton has beaten three teams going to the playoffs...
Barbers Hill, Goose Creek Memorial, and Austin LBJ.
How many of Vidor wins came over playoff teams  ;)

[quote name="vidor96pirates" post="703867" timestamp="1257908079"]
The 3 teams Vidor lost to...... would Stomp all over dayton, and the rest of 19-4a.
[/quote]
Sept. 25 @ Beaumont Central*, L, 56-57 2OT

Oct. 16 @ Port Neches-Groves*, L, 13-35

Oct. 30 @ Nederland*, L, 20-22

So...
If Dayton were to win by more than 22 your analogy would be totally false.
Crosby will waylay the Nederland.
PN-G and Central should win this week.  I am sure all the Vidor fans were jumping up for joy when they found out they drew Dayton in the first round.  That was the best news Vidor basketball fans have heard since last February.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833