I think the time has come for......

pngfan1

.....a bunch of people to eat crow.

I remember last spring when the PNG folks saw and expressed excitement over what was taking place on the reservation with coach Faircloths arrival , there were a lot of people here (most) that wanted to give all kind of reasons why we would not be much better than last years 3-7. I remember some of the Lumberton and Beaumont posters commenting on lack of talent at PNG(thats pretty funny with a running back that will rush for over 1500 yds., a qb that will throw for close to 1500 yds, a host of receivers and a defense that has been lights out). One poster from Beaumont said coaching wasn't the problem. She said "Coach Burnett doesn't go on the field and play", I agree neither does Coach Faircloth but he definitely has our kids better prepared. There was couple of Nederland posters who said Faircloth was offensive minded and that our defense would suffer. One used Nederlands D the last couple of years as an example of being able to score 50 points and still lose. Another one even claims he saw Keller (where coach Kroeker was defensive coordinator)
and that they were week, "no attacking" and pretty much just stood straight up( that might get my vote as the funniest). One poster ( a very honest, call it as he sees it unbiased poster) from Nederland said we hired an unproven coach( even though he was a very successful record breaking OC at Permian). There was one poster that follows Beaumont and PA , who said " sissy ball was coming to PNG" and sissy ball promoted weak defenses. Maybe so but i'll take what we got.

Last but not least I want to take this time to give credit to our School Board for sticking to their guns and hiring the right coach. They received a lot of heat for requiring a masters degree. Most here felt we were bypassing the best coaches by requiring this. Well, I guess not because we definitely got the right coach for us. And to boot most of the coaches that came with Faircloth also have Masters Degrees. We had a local coach that wanted to talk to our Superintendent about the job after the application deadline and the School Board did the right thing.

I have also seen some posts lately about SOME of the PNG fans getting cocky. Even though i'm not one to talk and predict we will blowout anybody, I say the fans who want to have the right to after all the talk last spring and summer.

I figured PN-G would be improved this season, but I never thought they'd be 9-0. They have really done a good job of improving every week. I thought they were overrated early on as they were squeaking by in games, but they have really turned it on and impressed me the past several weeks. Balanced offense and a very good defense is a good combination.

[quote name="jake94" post="692316" timestamp="1257000659"]
I figured PN-G would be improved this season, but I never thought they'd be 9-0. They have really done a good job of improving every week. I thought they were overrated early on as they were squeaking by in games, but they have really turned it on and impressed me the past several weeks. Balanced offense and a very good defense is a good combination.
[/quote]
Coach Faircloth and his Indians have exceeded our expectations. I believe most PNG fans felt we would be good and make the playoffs. But I don't know if too many can honestly say they felt we would be 9-0.

Pngfan1, that is probably the BEST post I have EVER read on this forum.  I remember the debates, the put downs, the "sissy" ball remarks, the saracasm, and all the other possible "negative" remarks that could have been made AGAINST PNG last year.  And, we did have some fans on here that lashed out with every right to do so.  But, for the most part...the PNG faithful stuck to their guns..the school board, the fans, players, parents and all involved knew we were on the right path.  Every though, PNG has gone out this year and proven themselves over and over, there are STILL naysayers out there that REFUSE to recognize that PNG IS the real deal.  I, for one, knew PNG would improve, but I would NEVER committ at the beginning of the season that PNG would make the playoffs, let alone, be 9-0 (ask COOP.....he'll tell u I was skeptical). But, Faircloth and company, came in, realized our weaknesses and strengths, and pulled these young men together to make an exceptional team.  I'm not putting down any other team or their fans, God forbid, but I will tell you this...there is "magic" at The Reservation this year! Reminds me of the "magic" of the 70's.  People that bleed "purple" are committed to PNG.  I diddn't graduate from PNG, but from Newton..another football powerhouse with dedicated fans (purple & white as well).  When my wife took me to my first PNG game, I heard the beat of the war drums, the Indian Spirit, the hordes of fans, I was hooked.  My son was an Indian Spirit his senior year, my daughter was an Indianette.  I bleed purple, and I'm dang proud of PNG!  Honor>>>>>>Pride>>>>>Tradition>>>>>>>PNG Indians!  Enough said!

[quote name="9buck9" post="692329" timestamp="1257001524"]
I think Faircloth will make this whole district better!!.....we are seeing and preparing for plays that nobody sees  or prepare for until playoffs!!!  
[/quote]
Good point I have to agree. Neumann even stated this past week he was using the PNG/Vidor game film to see what PNG did to stop Vidor.

I saw PNG play a game this year and they were impresssive.  Very large line, plays physical, very good defense.  It looks like a completely different group of kids from last year both in stature and the way they played.  Fairclothe should no doubt be coach of the year and I would now be shocked if PNG doesn't make some noise in the playoffs.  As far as the fans, being on the other side of the posts, there definately is some deep seeded emotion bleeding through from the nearly 10 years of mostly average teams.  It definately comes accross as if the fans believe it is their birthright for PNG to always win district.

That said, Fairclothe is making quite a name for himself accross the state for his turnaround, which will only get more prevalent depending on how deep the team goes in the playoffs.  With his connections from Permian, Westlake and Highland Park, he will not go under the radar.  Not being a local product or PNG alum, I would think that if a Metro 5A school especially one of the high profile programs comes calling in the next few years, it will be hard to hold onto him.  But no matter, he definately has it going again on the Reservation.  He was smart to pick a school with so much tradition and history as his first head coaching stop.

Thankfully I can say, and you can go back through my posts to prove it, I wasn't one of those putting PNG down like that. You guys are playing strong ball and that's good for you. I am wondering something though, how many of the boys paying this year are the ones who Burnett wouldn't play and how many stayed off the team until this year for the same reason? Just curious as I remember someone, I forget who, talking about how Burnett was playing favorites and not playing the guys who should be in the game. Finally, you probably should have waited another week or two before posting this, although I'm pretty sure you've been homping at the bit for awhile, the timing here does actually come off a little as gloating.

Last years post by me stated PNG was much better than their record and were in almost every game and they were tradition in transition.I'm backing every team from Setx of course not when playing Dayton.And most on here will probably do the same.Glad no storms this year to interrupt the season.I say congrads and let's get ready to show the pollsters Setx is a force without all the media glamour our opponents get.Again just like last year hardly any folks outside of Setx thought OUR teams would do so well.

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="692368" timestamp="1257003019"]
Thankfully I can say, and you can go back through my posts to prove it, I wasn't one of those putting PNG down like that. You guys are playing strong ball and that's good for you. I am wondering something though, how many of the boys paying this year are the ones who Burnett wouldn't play and how many stayed off the team until this year for the same reason? Just curious as I remember someone, I forget who, talking about how Burnett was playing favorites and not playing the guys who should be in the game. Finally, you probably should have waited another week or two before posting this, although I'm pretty sure you've been homping at the bit for awhile, the timing here does actually come off a little as gloating.
[/quote]
No matter what happens from here on out, we have far exceeded what most expected (even amongst our own). No reason to wait a week or two.

PNG1: It's easy to draw those conclusions and (I'm noy saying I disagree), however, it's important to note that PNG has a big team, a lot of depth at all positions.  They've played great ball collectively as a team which is extremely important and overlooked a lot.  And although Harmon has been good, he wouldn't have had his success if he ran behind Lumberton's line, that's just a fact.  Faircloth has done an excellent job putting it all together.  Also, these same group of boys had success when they played middle school ball for Pt. Neches and Groves, so I think they were destined to have a good year regardless of the coaching.  To me the depth, the size, the skill and of course the coaching is the key to any team's success.  PNG's depth is similar to last year's Central team, which by the way will be a very good game this week.  Although the PNG team is awesome, I would not start crowing just yet until after the regular season.  I wish PNG, Central and all other 20-4A teams the best of luck in the playoffs.  It's easy to look ahead, but keep it one game at a time.  I know Faircloth will do this, I've been very impressed with the new coach.  The tradition continues...  

Yes improving each week is a direct result of good coaching, but also having the depth and no injuries.  I think I heard Coach Faircloth say in an interview this past week that each player has one position and consequently each player practices that one position for two hours instead of one hour.  You can only do that with depth and although it may take most of the season to get clicking on all cyclinders, once you get to that point a team could go very deep into the playoffs just like Central did last year.  A very nice position to be in for PNG.

[quote name="outrider52" post="692419" timestamp="1257005798"]
From an outsider's point of view, the most obvious thing the Indians have going now is that they appear to be improving each week.
[/quote]
Agreed from an insider! To me that is one of the real signs of a good staff.

Also of note, someone asked about players not getting PT last year that should have. Well last year we had 5 Sophomores sitting on the bench on Friday nights. They never played. WHY? They should have been playing on JV or playing on Varsity. Those same 5 are now dominant starters on Varsity and as I went through the Varsity Roster this week I realized that every Junior and the one Sophomore (just brought up a few weeks back) all see alot of PT. Several are starters and the others are part of a rotation. None of them are just getting what they call garbage time either. I think that is great. If the underclassmen are not going to play on Friday night they are going to play on Thursday night not sit the bench getting no experience.

Ok, I don't post on here much, but just have to get my thoughts in.  When district play started, each team we played would get on here and talk smack about how we haven't played anyone yet, then after we took care of business, at least one poster from the other team would say.."PN-G is the real deal!"  It has happened with LCM, Nederland, Livingston, Vidor, and now Ozen, go back and look at the last few posts from each game!  I look forward to the Central/PN-G thread when the game is over next week...any Central fan care to say it now and get it out of the way... ;D!

To answer the post about Burnett playing his favorites last year and not the kids with the talent, yes, there was some talk about that, and it certainly seemed that way, and two kids who have shined this year come to mind, Spencer DeRon and Aaron Easley!!  When these guys were put in the games last year, they were GREAT, then for whatever reason he would take them out, and we lost!!  Now, they are both having a record year and have contributed leaps and bounds to the success of this team, one will be back, one will not.  There are others I am sure, but these two I remember well because people were screaming for him to play them more...several of our games last year may have had a different outcome.  So, there was talent on that team...just took the right guy to do something with it.  Please don't think I'm bashing Burnett, I'm not, he's a great guy and was a great coach, but something changed with him and it was his time to go.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont