How Come Hamshire Fannett Gets No Respect

[quote name="stevenash" post="697151" timestamp="1257370399"]
[quote author=Ron Burgundy link=topic=61413.msg696632#msg696632 date=1257343234]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=61413.msg696597#msg696597 date=1257336366]
[quote author=team first link=topic=61413.msg696440#msg696440 date=1257305196]
Sir or Mam?..Actually AAU is played until kids graduate from h.s. which is about 18 yrs old..Little dribblers is usually played from 8 to 14 yrs old, with a few exceptions...The posters who talk about the universal off-season have a pretty good idea of what it does for the average h.s. basketball program...Which is not much..Most basketball coaches are looking for basketball players, not guys who look good in a mirror.
[/quote]

Lets get real honest here.  Universal Off Season is a code word for "Make em all football players because every other sport is secondary"   Thats fine if everyone is on the same page and the only priority is to make football a success.  However, if a school/coach/administration chooses to embrace the Universal Off Season approach, that school will definitely "pay the price" in other sports and it seems to be most evident in basketball.  The "Whats wrong with UOS, it will just make them bigger, stronger, and faster" theory sounds good but the results do not support the theory.  If the players need to lift weights, why not let it be done under the supervision of the primary sport coach?
[/quote]

See, American people make sense. Canadians like Steve Nash are traitors and should go back to Canada.
[/quote]\Steve Nash may be considered a traitor, but, Canadian or not, is quite conversant with basketball
[/quote]Good, then you know HF will win State in 2015?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="stevenash" post="696597" timestamp="1257336366"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=61413.msg696440#msg696440 date=1257305196]
Sir or Mam?..Actually AAU is played until kids graduate from h.s. which is about 18 yrs old..Little dribblers is usually played from 8 to 14 yrs old, with a few exceptions...The posters who talk about the universal off-season have a pretty good idea of what it does for the average h.s. basketball program...Which is not much..Most basketball coaches are looking for basketball players, not guys who look good in a mirror.
[/quote]

Lets get real honest here.  Universal Off Season is a code word for "Make em all football players because every other sport is secondary"   Thats fine if everyone is on the same page and the only priority is to make football a success.  However, if a school/coach/administration chooses to embrace the Universal Off Season approach, that school will definitely "pay the price" in other sports and it seems to be most evident in basketball.  The "Whats wrong with UOS, it will just make them bigger, stronger, and faster" theory sounds good but the results do not support the theory.  If the players need to lift weights, why not let it be done under the supervision of the primary sport coach?
[/quote]Interesting, I guess maybe we should look for property in Sour Lake as a back-up against the UOS .

[/quote]

So what ur claiming HFHS has only kids in athletics that lift weights year round as/with football players? And also your point is that if you do not play football at HF you aren't in athletics? Please explain your post, because I am not following ur argument? If there are any HF athletes on here maybe you can tell me what you are doing year-round and expand on Steve's argument. No basketball, no baseball except during the season? If this is true why does HF have so few kids playing football? Or are all the programs hurting in numbers because of this? But all are talking at both ends by stating weights are important but....... Who cares when they lift as long as they lift? Because ebing stronger will only make you better at whatever sport you choose to play! Name one college or professional athlete male or female that does not lift and train year-round? Get out of the dark ages. If you want to be good at something you have to pay the price in hard work .

[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="697479" timestamp="1257389569"]
[quote author=fisherking link=topic=61413.msg697356#msg697356 date=1257383330]

[/quote]

So what ur claiming HFHS has only kids in athletics that lift weights year round as/with football players? And also your point is that if you do not play football at HF you aren't in athletics? Please explain your post, because I am not following ur argument? If there are any HF athletes on here maybe you can tell me what you are doing year-round and expand on Steve's argument. No basketball, no baseball except during the season? If this is true why does HF have so few kids playing football? Or are all the programs hurting in numbers because of this? But all are talking at both ends by stating weights are important but....... Who cares when they lift as long as they lift? Because ebing stronger will only make you better at whatever sport you choose to play! Name one college or professional athlete male or female that does not lift and train year-round? Get out of the dark ages. If you want to be good at something you have to pay the price in hard work .
[/quote]

OK, here is the current situation at HF. 5th period athletics is for JV and Varsity Football athletics (basically if you play football and you are a sophomore and older). 8th period athletics is for freshman football and every other team sport. During 8th period athletics, each coach works out their own players in their own sport. If you don't play football, you don't have to lift with football players. You aren't even in the same athletic period as the football players if you don't play football.
[/quote]
Ok thanks for the info. Has it always been this way at HF? Or is it recent? Are the head coaches of the other sports with the basketball, baseball, etc., or are these players being "baby sat for", like PE. And again, what is the stevenash saying then is the problem at HF, he said "universal off-season"? It sounds like all athletes are getting there time in the sport of there chosing?

What I heard was, if you play football and then want to play baseball or basketball, that you have to continue to work out with weights with the football team the remainder of the year.  After their workout they are allowed to join up with their baseball/basketball team.  Once football is over these players should be released to the next sport.  You have pitchers being forced to lift weights on the day they will be pitching in a game.  Not smart.  This is the reason for such few kids in football.....they know that if they join football and want to play baseball/basketball they can't get out of the year long lifting, which takes away from training for the next sport, therefore, they don't play football at all.

[quote name="postup" post="697519" timestamp="1257391326"]
What I heard was, if you play football and then want to play baseball or basketball, that you have to continue to work out with weights with the football team the remainder of the year.  After their workout they are allowed to join up with their baseball/basketball team.  Once football is over these players should be released to the next sport.  [b]You have pitchers being forced to lift weights on the day they will be pitching in a game[/b].  Not smart.  This is the reason for such few kids in football.....they know that if they join football and want to play baseball/basketball they can't get out of the year long lifting, which takes away from training for the next sport, therefore, they don't play football at all.
[/quote]

Can't believe any coach would force a pitcher to lift if he was throwing that day?

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="697539" timestamp="1257392199"]
[quote author=postup link=topic=61413.msg697519#msg697519 date=1257391326]
What I heard was, if you play football and then want to play baseball or basketball, that you have to continue to work out with weights with the football team the remainder of the year.  After their workout they are allowed to join up with their baseball/basketball team.  Once football is over these players should be released to the next sport.  [b]You have pitchers being forced to lift weights on the day they will be pitching in a game[/b].  Not smart.  This is the reason for such few kids in football.....they know that if they join football and want to play baseball/basketball they can't get out of the year long lifting, which takes away from training for the next sport, therefore, they don't play football at all.
[/quote]

Can't believe any coach would force a pitcher to lift if he was throwing that day?

[/quote]Just repeating what I was told. Bottom line is, you shouldn't have football coaches working out baseball/basketball players before releasing them to their respective coaches and practice.  Once a player moves on to the next sport, they should be released and trained by THAT coach only.

Thanks Burgundy.  Good info.  Set me straight......football player playing baseball/basketball still works football for entire offseason.....when and how do they  work on their other sport?  If you play baseball/basketball, but not football, is your athletic period different?

Lets get real honest here.  Universal Off Season is a code word for "Make em all football players because every other sport is secondary"   Thats fine if everyone is on the same page and the only priority is to make football a success.  However, if a school/coach/administration chooses to embrace the Universal Off Season approach, that school will definitely "pay the price" in other sports and it seems to be most evident in basketball.  The "Whats wrong with UOS, it will just make them bigger, stronger, and faster" theory sounds good but the results do not support the theory.  If the players need to lift weights, why not let it be done under the supervision of the primary sport coach?
[/quote]

[/quote]

OK, here is the current situation at HF. 5th period athletics is for JV and Varsity Football athletics (basically if you play football and you are a sophomore and older). 8th period athletics is for freshman football and every other team sport. During 8th period athletics, each coach works out their own players in their own sport. If you don't play football, you don't have to lift with football players. You aren't even in the same athletic period as the football players if you don't play football.
[/quote]
Ok thanks for the info. Has it always been this way at HF? Or is it recent? Are the head coaches of the other sports with the basketball, baseball, etc., or are these players being "baby sat for", like PE. And again, what is the stevenash saying then is the problem at HF, he said "universal off-season"? It sounds like all athletes are getting there time in the sport of there chosing?

[/quote]

This type of athletic periods with each sport doing their own thing has been installed since Coach Mangan has been here. When Coach Walker was here, you were either in football athletics or P.E. Coach Walker was strictly a football guy and I can remember our former baseball coach, Chad Landry (now at BC), used to get frustrated because he would work the daylights out of a pitcher the day before a district game. However, that's all in the past now. Don't get me wrong though, if you are a football player at HF (that will return the next year) you work out with football for the entire offseason.

REPLY TO POST UP: A baseball player who is in football athletics does not even have to dress out on gamedays, and wouldn't dare work out on a game day. Thats foolish.
[/quote]
Thanks for the facts . This rare in AAA in the state of Texas that sports besides football get to workout in there sports yearround. Maybe this is why numbers in football are so low. And it should definitely help improvve the other programs. I will say that if HF wants to improvee in football they better lift year round. And whenyou think about it this is only three days a week, correct, since baseball and basketball players do not lift on Tuesday and Friday because of games, if Ron is correct. And he is since it is a UIL rule. I would say HF is doin it right. And steve nash is "misinformed" as I thougt

[quote name="fisherking" post="697637" timestamp="1257401432"]

Lets get real honest here.  Universal Off Season is a code word for "Make em all football players because every other sport is secondary"   Thats fine if everyone is on the same page and the only priority is to make football a success.  However, if a school/coach/administration chooses to embrace the Universal Off Season approach, that school will definitely "pay the price" in other sports and it seems to be most evident in basketball.  The "Whats wrong with UOS, it will just make them bigger, stronger, and faster" theory sounds good but the results do not support the theory.  If the players need to lift weights, why not let it be done under the supervision of the primary sport coach?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This type of athletic periods with each sport doing their own thing has been installed since Coach Mangan has been here. When Coach Walker was here, you were either in football athletics or P.E. Coach Walker was strictly a football guy and I can remember our former baseball coach, Chad Landry (now at BC), used to get frustrated because he would work the daylights out of a pitcher the day before a district game. However, that's all in the past now. Don't get me wrong though, if you are a football player at HF (that will return the next year) you work out with football for the entire offseason.

REPLY TO POST UP: A baseball player who is in football athletics does not even have to dress out on gamedays, and wouldn't dare work out on a game day. Thats foolish.
[/quote]
Thanks for the facts . This rare in AAA in the state of Texas that sports besides football get to workout in there sports yearround. Maybe this is why numbers in football are so low. And it should definitely help improvve the other programs. I will say that if HF wants to improvee in football they better lift year round. And whenyou think about it this is only three days a week, correct, since baseball and basketball players do not lift on Tuesday and Friday because of games, if Ron is correct. And he is since it is a UIL rule. I would say HF is doin it right. And steve nash is "misinformed" as I thougt
[/quote]

It's simple===== MAKE SOME CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest stevenash
Not misinformed here.  I dont know the specifics of the HF program.  I DO KNOW however, that if you want to improve the basketball program, you are going to HAVE to DO MORE than just let the players practice during the season.  That statement is not misinformation but rather years of observation.  And no, being stronger is NOT necessarily the answer to the problems a school is having in a particular sport.  I believe there was an HJ coach ( note the success of their basketball program) who said(on this board) that they have their basketball kids lift every other day(under the guidance of the BASKETBALL coaching staff) instead of every day and the stats they maintained showed greater improvement in amount lifted from the every other day group vs the every day group.  Yes, strength will help you to some degree and obviously it will help you more in football than basketball.  Basketball, as compared to football, is more of a skills game and, therefore, it would not take a mental giant to conclude that some of the "football weight training time" should possibly be replaced with "basketball skill development time"  Still wondering who the weight trainer for Larry Bird was in his high school and college days.  Larry probably never saw a bench press or a hundred yard dash and it was very evident from looking at him.  However, his basketball skills/intellect more than made up for the fact that he wasnt very strong or fast.  So, I ask you:  If everybody out there is getting bigger, stronger, and faster and your program is a relative failure, would it be worth considering the thought that maybe there is more to basketball than bigger, stronger, faster?  Could it be that what is necessary for success in football should not necessarily be prescribed for all athletic programs?  Once again, lets face the reality. Most athletic directors are also the head football coach and where do you think their main interests/concerns lie?

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="697480" timestamp="1257389603"]
HF has a strong girls program and the baseball program has always been competitive.
[/quote]HF has a elementary coach who start the girls young and works with them. They are scheduled to play Lumberton this weekend. Coach Moore drills and practice the girls. He's all about basketball and learning the game.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="697986" timestamp="1257444615"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=61413.msg697480#msg697480 date=1257389603]
HF has a strong girls program and the baseball program has always been competitive.
[/quote]HF has a elementary coach who start the girls young and works with them. They are scheduled to play Lumberton this weekend. Coach Moore drills and practice the girls. He's all about basketball and learning the game.
[/quote]

Isn't that illegal???? haha

[quote name="hjhawks" post="698737" timestamp="1257518152"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=61413.msg697986#msg697986 date=1257444615]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=61413.msg697480#msg697480 date=1257389603]
[/quote]

Isn't that illegal???? haha
[/quote]Hmm? Well I was just joking and really mistyped some words. My finger has a tendency to slip and type all these wrong sentences. But just pretend I never wrote this..casie I only joking  ;)

the fact is that football is king in the eyes of our beloved AD.  if you are in football athletics, you work out all year around because football is the only thing that matters at hf.  if you are in basketball or baseball the only time you see the court/field is after school or on your own time. 

Guest stevenash
[quote name="Abe Lincoln" post="701782" timestamp="1257713188"]
the fact is that football is king in the eyes of our beloved AD.  if you are in football athletics, you work out all year around because football is the only thing that matters at hf.  if you are in basketball or baseball the only time you see the court/field is after school or on your own time. 
[/quote]

It wouldn't appear that the dedication to football is bearing fruit for any sport, most notably of which, is football.

[quote name="Abe Lincoln" post="701782" timestamp="1257713188"]
[/quote]Why are my sons telling me they have to have their football cleats at school after the football season is over? Football is over!!! It's basketball season gents.If anything, basketball should take a priority because of the skill level it takes to play the game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86