How Come Hamshire Fannett Gets No Respect

Is it just a long dry spell for HF's basketball? What is it going to take to turn things around in the program? Is it just that the talent is lacking or do the coaches have the dedication to turn their program around? Or a combination or both? I don't know the coaches so I can't comment on them. The one thing that I do notice is that the middle school programs fair well in sports. But I also understand you can't base future performance from middle school heroics. Kids develop at different stages. Some grow in height faster than others and stop growing. Some become slower in foot speed as others speed on. You can't keep the same workout routine you had in the 8th grade and expect to be successful in high school. Which may be why in high school the HF program seems to hit a down-slide. So, what is it going to take? I'm ready to dog-out HJ and EC before 2013 ;D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="687683" timestamp="1256663285"]
I am not sure.................but they have not been cometitive since Brian DeLord graduated!!!!
[/quote]

DeLord graduated in 99 or so -- They went a few rounds in the playoffs a few years later ('02 or so) when Jeff Keener was coach and Cedric Lornette, Cody Elliott, Sonny Haynes and Jake Loicano. 

Bottom line is they had a good coach back then and he got a lot out of his players. Jeff was a ral basketball coach, not an assistant football coach that got assigned to bball.

Not much since then though.

[quote name="Dav-J" post="687932" timestamp="1256675278"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=61413.msg687683#msg687683 date=1256663285]
I am not sure.................but they have not been cometitive since Brian DeLord graduated!!!!
[/quote]

DeLord graduated in 99 or so -- They went a few rounds in the playoffs a few years later ('02 or so) when Jeff Keener was coach and Cedric Lornette, Cody Elliott, Sonny Haynes and Jake Loicano. 

Bottom line is they had a good coach back then and he got a lot out of his players. Jeff was a ral basketball coach, not an assistant football coach that got assigned to bball.

Not much since then though.

[/quote]As earlier as 02 in the playoffs? So HF did beat out HJ that year? Thats not that long ago. I certainly hope that HF have a true basketball person out there and not an ass't football coach running their program. That would say a lot about they feel about the program.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="687679" timestamp="1256663093"]
Is it just a long dry spell for HF's basketball? What is it going to take to turn things around in the program? Is it just that the talent is lacking or do the coaches have the dedication to turn their program around? Or a combination or both? I don't know the coaches so I can't comment on them. The one thing that I do notice is that the middle school programs fair well in sports. But I also understand you can't base future performance from middle school heroics. Kids develop at different stages. Some grow in height faster than others and stop growing. Some become slower in foot speed as others speed on. You can't keep the same workout routine you had in the 8th grade and expect to be successful in high school. Which may be why in high school the HF program seems to hit a down-slide. So, what is it going to take? I'm ready to dog-out HJ and EC before 2013 ;D
[/quote]

UNIVERSAL OFF SEASON!!!!!!

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="687967" timestamp="1256677682"]
Lets just say it would be easier to move to HJ...Then you wont have anything to worry about...JK. I wish them well this year and hope they right the ship.
[/quote]hahahah! My wife was talking about buying property from a relative of hers out there, who now lives in California.

[quote name="stevenash" post="687977" timestamp="1256678137"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=61413.msg687679#msg687679 date=1256663093]
[/quote]

UNIVERSAL OFF SEASON!!!!!!
[/quote]You know Nash, I think it starts in about 2 weeks. Kids that age, all they need to do are push-ups and sit-ups.

The way they are quitting football, they should hit the floor during athletics.  Unless that coach said you quit football, you quit all athletics!!!  It's ashame that happens in High School sports because no one likes the coach!!  H-F has good kids and good athletes, EC is better, and H-F want go out and try to find a top of line coach.  And you know BlueDove, H-F had good quality teams several years ago and the last with all the changes in coaching, it has gone down.

[quote name="watup" post="688343" timestamp="1256703374"]
The way they are quitting football, they should hit the floor during athletics.  Unless that coach said you quit football, you quit all athletics!!!  It's ashame that happens in High School sports because no one likes the coach!!  H-F has good kids and good athletes, EC is better, and H-F want go out and try to find a top of line coach.  And you know BlueDove, H-F had good quality teams several years ago and the last with all the changes in coaching, it has gone down.
[/quote]I understand your love but I'm more proned to tough love. Those kids look good against the Bridge Cities, Huffmans, St.Annes, Hardin-Jeffersons and Dishman Elementarys of the world. But when you see them compete against the Jaspers, Silbees, and lord have mercy the Orangefields, this is not a coaching problem. It goes much deeper than most people want to admit. Most of the kids just aren't that good. My 8th grader is fast but does not have or at least has not shown on a consistent basis to play the game the way it should be played. Consistent being the key word. They are consistenly bad each year.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="688485" timestamp="1256737875"]
[quote author=watup link=topic=61413.msg688343#msg688343 date=1256703374]
The way they are quitting football, they should hit the floor during athletics.  Unless that coach said you quit football, you quit all athletics!!!  It's ashame that happens in High School sports because no one likes the coach!!  H-F has good kids and good athletes, EC is better, and H-F want go out and try to find a top of line coach.  And you know BlueDove, H-F had good quality teams several years ago and the last with all the changes in coaching, it has gone down.
[/quote]I understand your love but I'm more proned to tough love. Those kids look good against the Bridge Cities, Huffmans, St.Annes, Hardin-Jeffersons and Dishman Elementarys of the world. But when you see them compete against the Jaspers, Silbees, and lord have mercy the Orangefields, this is not a coaching problem. It goes much deeper than most people want to admit. Most of the kids just aren't that good. My 8th grader is fast but does not have or at least has not shown on a consistent basis to play the game the way it should be played. Consistent being the key word. They are consistenly bad each year.
[/quote]

Dove- You are really confusing me.  You are saying that the HF kids "aren't that good" and, at the same time, declaring them to be the 2013-2015 State Champs.  What am I missing?

For ANY school to truely be successful(be it winning state or just being able to compete with the other teams in the district) it takes a LOT of work. Way too many kids don't wont to put in the time and work needed, and end up doing what [b]they[/b] think is good enough to get by. For teams like HF has had recently it takes even more time and work.
I know the coach knows his stuff and how to work the kids. When he was at Lumberton he was always competitive and has beaten some schools he "shouldn't have" like PAM, WB, Silsbee...
Invest the time and effort and it'll pay off. Just ask H-J kids!

[quote name="stevenash" post="688505" timestamp="1256739022"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=61413.msg688485#msg688485 date=1256737875]
[quote author=watup link=topic=61413.msg688343#msg688343 date=1256703374]
[/quote]

Dove- You are really confusing me.  You are saying that the HF kids "aren't that good" and, at the same time, declaring them to be the 2013-2015 State Champs.  What am I missing?
[/quote]We're talking football

[quote name="The Ingredient" post="688563" timestamp="1256743943"]
For ANY school to truely be successful(be it winning state or just being able to compete with the other teams in the district) it takes a LOT of work. Way too many kids don't wont to put in the time and work needed, and end up doing what [b]they[/b] think is good enough to get by. For teams like HF has had recently it takes even more time and work.
I know the coach knows his stuff and how to work the kids. When he was at Lumberton he was always competitive and has beaten some schools he "shouldn't have" like PAM, WB, Silsbee...
Invest the time and effort and it'll pay off. Just ask H-J kids!
[/quote]Exactly! You see it in baseball@HF.  Kids are practicing and playing almost year round.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="688591" timestamp="1256745144"]
Hamshire-Fannett 2009 District Champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

In Volleyball!!!!!!  Congrats Lady Horns!!!
[/quote]There is a strong commitment to volleyball out there. They have a passion to get better and compete.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="688640" timestamp="1256748580"]
Maybe they should get the volleyball coach to coach the boys basketball team
:D :D :D
[/quote] >:(  hmmm, lets see....2010 +2011+2012+2013

You won't be laughing in 2012. Thats when the core will all be in hs together..........

hey, on a serious note, how tall is that Bosha kid now? Looks like he has grown some.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder