Volleyball shouldn’t be played on Fridays

Volleyball shouldn’t be played on Fridays

By Evan Mohl

The Daily News

Published August 14, 2009

High school volleyball players get the raw end of the deal in Texas.

Every Friday night, teams take on two opponents: the adversary on the court and the proverbial Texas king and behemoth, affectionately known as Friday night football.

University Interscholastic League rules state volleyball can play one contest per week during the school week and one after the school week has finished, which goes from Monday morning until when school lets out Friday afternoon.

The trend then developed to play Tuesdays and Fridays. It allows for extra practice time Saturday with a day off Sunday and adequate rest time between games. Wednesdays were avoided in the past because of religious significance while no one likes to play on Monday, trying to deal with rust after a day off.

“It’s a format that has been going on for years,†UIL assistant athletic director Traci Neely said.

“It has worked because it satisfies coaches’ wants. If you want to stay in form, practice on Saturday is necessary, and everyone hates playing on Mondays.â€

Still, scheduling on Friday doesn’t make sense, and it’s just not fair. Parents, fans and students must make a tough decision every Friday — football or volleyball.

Thousands choose the tradition and pageantry, packing stadiums to the brim. It leaves sparsely filled gyms, where hours of hard work and sweat go unnoticed, unreported and unappreciated.

How many, honestly, saw a volleyball game last fall? How many got to see Megan Pendergast (Nebraska) hammer a spike, Haley Jacob (Oregon) dive for a dig or Kaylee Hawkins (Sam Houston State) slam the ball over the net?

The Friday conundrum goes even further. The lack of attendance means less money for the volleyball program and school.

That just hurts the athletes in myriad ways like uniforms, road trips and practice equipment.

“Sometimes, you wish it could be different, especially for the girls’ sake,†Santa Fe coach Anna Marie Milligan said. “But you learn to deal with it.â€

Programs have tried to combat the issue with earlier start times on Fridays. It works to some degree, particularly for students and the athletes who then can go to football games.

But parents and other community members can’t attend 4:30 p.m. games due to work and other obligations.

Obtaining referees that early and getting the traveling team to miss school also causes issues.

“There are so many things to consider when scheduling,†Neely said. “It can make things tough to figure out.â€

Detractors will point to the fact that volleyball has games on Tuesday.

But those contests are generally less attended because it’s the middle of the week.

Most have work the next day or meetings to attend or other conflicts.

Volleyball, as a result, is left on the fringe, with scarce attendance numbers.

“You always want to increase the exposure,†Neely said. “But it would take a massive movement to change what we have now, and I don’t know if those people who attend football games on Friday would come to a volleyball game on Saturday.â€

It’s worth a shot. A move from Friday night couldn’t hurt and would at least give volleyball a fair shot.

And that’s not what volleyball currently has.

I agree with everything written by Evan Mohl of The Daily News.

I can remember when one of the VB games were played on Saturday morning.  Attendance was good at BC then even though VB wasn't as popular as it is today. 

I think a winning VB program will normally have fairly good attendance unless the school has an above average football team.  I believe that any sport will suffer if they are forced to compete with the most popular sport on Friday night.

Football avoided their overlapping schedules by playing HS on Friday, College on Saturday & Pro on Sunday.

It  is my opinion that most VB programs will never get support (money) unless they are no longer forced to compete with FB or athletic funds aren't partially distributed according to attendance.

Any other sports want to volunteer to play on Friday nights in Texas?  How about switching VB & BB?  Don't think so. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bleed orange

I'd much rather watch HS Volleyball than HS Girls Basketball.

The problem I have with volleyball is, when someone makes a mistake they clap hands,  laugh and think it is OK. It is not OK. They should be mad. I cannot watch a sport where mediocrity is condoned. Kids like it because there is no running involved. I agree, I too like to see a good volley but that does not happen very often. Sorry but I am basketball.  This could be a good topic Basketball vs Volleyball.

The problem I have with volleyball is, when someone makes a mistake they clap hands,  laugh and think it is OK. It is not OK. They should be mad. I cannot watch a sport where mediocrity is condoned. Kids like it because there is no running involved. I agree, I too like to see a good volley but that does not happen very often. Sorry but I am basketball.  This could be a good topic Basketball vs Volleyball.

No contest bball all day

Guest bleed orange

No contest bball all day

I like you Bucof2010. ;D ;D ;D

• 2 months later...
[quote name="Rizon" post="625681" timestamp="1250559671"]
A great majority of people don't like volleyball because they haven't watched a good varsity game. Anyone that I personally know that thought they didn't like volleyball but then watch it...it all changes. But I agree...it's like hockey...it doesn't get the hype but when people watch it they usually love it.
[/quote]

the reason that its not as big of a deal as other sports is because it isnt broadcasted in this area. Or whoever said this doesn't know whats actually out there. volleyball is one of the largest sports played. i know because i play nationaly. there is more out there then just whats in this area. and hockey? really? its on ice thats why its not hyped up down here.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="636310" timestamp="1252019665"]
[quote author=nobodysfool link=topic=58016.msg636225#msg636225 date=1252010731]
[/quote]

The problem I have with volleyball is, when someone makes a mistake they clap hands,  laugh and think it is OK. It is not OK. They should be mad. I cannot watch a sport where mediocrity is condoned. Kids like it because there is no running involved. I agree, I too like to see a good volley but that does not happen very often. Sorry but I am basketball.  This could be a good topic Basketball vs Volleyball.
[/quote]Bleed, believe you me any competive volleyball squad out there sees their fair share of running. My wife is a head volleyball coach and she can tell you right now hands down when it comes to conditioning a group of girls in the offseason, when the VB girls and the BB girls come together it is always the BB girls that are dragging behind. She also helps with the summer speed and conditioning program and all those big bad football boys, hate going through her station at the sand volleyball court it is by far the most difficult and her VB girls see it 3 times a week in the offseason for an hour. Those boys may only see it for 15 to 20 min.

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="625609" timestamp="1250552086"]
There's always a crowd at tuesday basketball games. I think the problem is not many people want to watch volleyball. No offense to the players and fans but its like hockey around here just not much intrest.
[/quote]

i see your point but when there is a volleyball game on friday night where are all the fans headed? football games football brings in a larger crowd always has except for parents they are always rooting for their girls no matter what how would a football team feel if just their parents came to their games? not the best feeling in the world i would know i dont think that changing games to sat would be the best idea because it is a weekend day and people have plans usually...why not have them on a thursday night and pu jv football on mondays? Boys sports have ruled schools for years now and i think its time for a change fans need to realize there is more to high school sports than just football do something for the girls for once...

Guest HFGirlsSportsFan
[quote name="Volley_baller2010" post="706051" timestamp="1258139134"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=58016.msg625609#msg625609 date=1250552086]
There's always a crowd at tuesday basketball games. I think the problem is not many people want to watch volleyball. No offense to the players and fans but its like hockey around here just not much intrest.
[/quote]

i see your point but when there is a volleyball game on friday night where are all the fans headed? football games football brings in a larger crowd always has except for parents they are always rooting for their girls no matter what how would a football team feel if just their parents came to their games? not the best feeling in the world i would know i dont think that changing games to sat would be the best idea because it is a weekend day and people have plans usually...why not have them on a thursday night and pu jv football on mondays? Boys sports have ruled schools for years now and i think its time for a change fans need to realize there is more to high school sports than just football do something for the girls for once...
[/quote]

Volleyball plays two games a week.  UIL rules allow only one game a week on a school night.  Volleyball has its fan base.  It is a lot like baseball.  Lots of meaningless rules that take the athleticism out of the equation.  In general, only one position requires significant diversified athletic ability in volleyball, the setter.  Volleyball is a game of perfection.  Any error by a player usually results in a point for the other team.  This is not the case in most other team sports.  I have brought several family members and friends to watch my daughter's volleyball games.  To the person, they find it hard to get into.  I have watched college coverage on ESPN2 and really find it boring because I have no connection to the players but, I am more of a basketball fan.  As for conditioning, I am glad that some volleyball programs value conditioning.  I can honestly say that after volleyball we spend a significant amount of time trying to get in better shape for basketball because the physical demands of volleyball pale in comparison to that of basketball.  I really don't believe that playing volleyball on different nights or moving it to another time of the year would increase its popularity.  Our schools volleyball games were played on Tues/Fri.  The games on Friday at 5:00 were well attended by fans other than volleyball parents.  I see nothing wrong with the current system. 

I have to respond to CrazyLikeThat's comments:
*  You say that baseball, like VB, has meaningless rules.  All sports have meaningless rules if you are looking at the sport in a negative manner.
*  You say " Only one person requires significant diversified athletic ability in volleyball, the setter."  It is obvious that you don't really understand volleyball.  While I am the first to say the setter is a vital part of a team (Quarterback of VB); other positions are just as important.  If the ball isn't passed to the right position, a good setter can look like a rookie.  Also; a good passer or good hitter can make a weak setter look good. A good server can make an entire team look good. The setter normally uses both hands while setting the ball.  Hitters and servers only use one and have to be just as accurate.  A good setter relies more on knowing when and where to put the ball than having "significant diversified athletic ability".
*  You also say VB conditioning "pales in comparison to basketball".  I believe that is entirely up to the coach in each sport.  I would put most VB players up against most BB players without worry.  Certainly, different skills are needed in each sport.
  You might get more appreciation for VB if you attended a few practices or better, the preseason conditioning.  Truth is; most reasonable basketball coaches appreciate the conditioning thats done in VB before they are allowed to begin their own conditioning.
  I love BB & VB unconditionally.  Many players (especially in small schools) are playing both sports.

Guest rambleonus
CrazyLikeThat I didn't understand the baseball part of your post. What rules take away from athleticism in baseball. Not everyone can play baseball or softball.  It's not a sport where one day you just decide to start playing it and be successful. Also maybe you should get out on the court with your daughter and see how easy it is. 

• 3 months later...
In school, I played many sports including volleyball and basketball. Over time, I leaned towards volleyball and eventually quit basketball. To say that volleyball requires no running and little athleticism- you have obviously never attended a Silsbee practice/game. The Silsbee coaches put me and my teammates through the most intense workout I've ever done. Volleyball is a sport that requires stamina, edurance, and perseverance. It is also a mental game. Volleyball is a great sport and I prefer it over basketball. So there's my vote.

The kids that play VB are very very very well conditioned. My daughter plays for Silsbee and Tiger11 is correct she is put through mini boot camps so to speak on a very regular basis. What people that don't think that VB is not a run conditioned sport need to do is to join in on a practice and you would be breathing very funny by the end of practice if you make it, hard but true, I'm sure any VB Coach in the area will gladly let you or ya'll participate but beware you'll probably get laughed at. She also lifts weights to improve strength and leaping ability. From what I hear most kids that are looked at by D1 schools have the ability to leap 10', how high is a BB goal? This summer she'll continue her conditioning through camps and health club activities. And the thing about laughing when a mistake is made instead of getting mad is like I guess War , if you get mad during war you get Dead because getting mad usually inhibits another mistake correct. If they get mad then nobody can tell them anything. I use to watch FB without reservation but now I enjoy VB and make FB when I can and I believe this to be true even after she Graduates, but I hope I'm going to higher level games.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siya
    Newest Member
    siya