PN-G fans... I need your help

I've been arguing the case that PN-G has one of the largest fan bases in the state on the 5A board...  feel free to chime in!!

I've got Permian, Longview and Lufkin folk agreeing with me but it would be nice to have some local fans opinions.

This is the hidden content, please

I've been arguing the case that PN-G has one of the largest fan bases in the state on the 5A board...  feel free to chime in!!

I've got Permian, Longview and Lufkin folk agreeing with me but it would be nice to have some local fans opinions.

This is the hidden content, please

I believe you can call the PNG admin building and they will more than likely have an attendance record of all the home games. Last seasons attendance was down, not just because of how well (bad) the team was doing but because of IKE. I know that when MCM rolls around there are over 12,000 in attendance at those games, good season or not. If I were to guess and average home side, home game attendance I would put it around 9,000 on average. Nederland has a large home attendance as well. Playoffs, larger following. Like myself and my dad, if PNG dosen't make the playoffs we will go and watch other locals who have made it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that aspect. When lumberton played LaMarque 2 years ago, I know they had a large crowd, but in that crowd were alot of folks from PNG and Nederland and other schools. It all carries over in the playoffs. I feel the top 2 in our 4A district crowd wise would be PNG and prob Nederland, closely followed by Lumberton (depending on the type of season they are having) as is the case with most schools. Consistency of crowd, (good or bad season) PNG and Nederland.

As soon as my account is activated.....i'm on my way

Ditto.

I'd say that we have at least 8,000 fans per game in preseason and season play, 12,000+ at MCM, and 10,000 at our first playoff game, with that number increasing at every playoff game that may follow.

I went ahead and posted this request on both the PN-G forum and the PN-G Space forum.

Still waiting on activation also.

WOS if you go to pngindians.com under traditions there is a picture of the crowd for the '99 Stephenville State Championship game.

I remember that game!That was the first PNG game that I had attended and PNG had the Dome filled up to rainbow seats :o when the Indians took the field and the indian chant started it was deafening! Then There was Stephenville with their propane tanks and ball bearings!! they didn't have near the crowd but the noise they created was equally loud!

WOS if you go to pngindians.com under traditions there is a picture of the crowd for the '99 Stephenville State Championship game.

I remember that game!That was the first PNG game that I had attended and PNG had the Dome filled up to rainbow seats :o when the Indians took the field and the indian chant started it was deafening! Then There was Stephenville with their propane tanks and ball bearings!! they didn't have near the crowd but the noise they created was equally loud!

I remember the propane tanks also. I can't imagine sitting by them without hearing protection. It definitely was loud.

I just took a look over there at that site. The Farmer guy looks to be getting the best of WOS87. By those pics that were put up, I would have to agree that the Carroll-Trinity game had just as much if not more than the Plano-PNG game of '77.

BTW, I attended that PNG game in '77. I was 13 years old and remember two things about that game. One, I was amazed at the amount of people that both schools had at this game and two, how bad Texas Stadium was compared to the Dome. It really wasn't that great of a stadium.

I just took a look over there at that site. The Farmer guy looks to be getting the best of WOS87. By those pics that were put up, I would have to agree that the Carroll-Trinity game had just as much if not more than the Plano-PNG game of '77.

BTW, I attended that PNG game in '77. I was 13 years old and remember two things about that game. One, I was amazed at the amount of people that both schools had at this game and two, how bad Texas Stadium was compared to the Dome. It really wasn't that great of a stadium.

Texas Stadium is a wind tunnel, remember how cold the 77 state game was?

Texas Stadium is a wind tunnel, remember how cold the 77 state game was?

It was very cold and really only so because of the wind that whipped through that sorry stadium.

My son and I attended that game as well. Unbelievable atmosphere.

IMO, PNG travels as well as anyone in the state.

WOS if you go to pngindians.com under traditions there is a picture of the crowd for the '99 Stephenville State Championship game. If you want to link to it or post the picture on that 5a site.

Thanks!  I posted several of the 1999 pics... they're all imprinted with the website from which they came so I'm assuming I won't get into copyright trouble from it?

WOS if you go to pngindians.com under traditions there is a picture of the crowd for the '99 Stephenville State Championship game. If you want to link to it or post the picture on that 5a site.

Thanks!  I posted several of the 1999 pics... they're all imprinted with the website from which they came so I'm assuming I won't get into copyright trouble from it?

Nah ,I don't think so. In fact your request for help has been posted on the PNG site. I would think there are several waiting on activation. I know i'm still waiting.

Just posted a 1977 black-and-white newspaper pic of the crowd in Texas Stadium from the Abilene News...  The number cited in the caption is over 2000 less than what was the eventual official attendance recorded.  Are there any actual pics from the 1977 game out there?

png77.gif

I attended that game also. I remember the dust on the chairs from a dust storm from west Texas. The record attendance still stands I believe. If I remember right the attendance was 49,970. I don't believe anyone has beaten it. Plano seemed to have a little more people there than PNG but remember Plano is in the back yard of Irving.

I've been reading the thread on the other site. I think you've held your own with those guys. SLC and ET are huge 5A schools with a much larger population that PNG has. So I would hope they would be able to bring more folks to games !  Even Odessa Permian has a larger pop than PNG. But, to say even as a 4a school we probably have more folks at games than 99% of most 5A programs across the state. I think that PNG has the largest following across the state just do to length of the football program and tradition ! If they all want to say they are number one in attendance let em think that, and to me who cares ! We all know that Southeast Texas is the football capital of Texas ! No one can compete with that !  All the area schools from 5A to 1A are all good and they all have potential !  Southeast Texas just puts out some great competitors for football, baseball, basketball etc !!!!  Dosen't matter which school, we just have that talent pool year end and year out ! and all the  communities around know that !!!!

I'm with you aggie.Went to Texas Stadium for the first when WO-S played Ennis.Was not impressed at all...was a little disapointed to tell you the truth.I felt like it was closing in on me...really felt small.Now the dome had all the room you wanted.What a wonderfull place to play football.

From Buck Ford's book: Down Trails of Victory, page 317

In the 5 playoff games PNG played in '77, the total paid crowd was 177,837 for an average crowd of 35,567, per playoff game.  It also states that in the Plano game the total paid crowd was 49,953. 

Also Listed in a conversation with Doug Ethridge, on same page (as of '93)

Plano vs PNG            49,953 #1 All Time

LaPorte vs PNG          33,836 #15 All Time

S.A. Lee vs PNG        32,043 #18 All Time

Kashmere vs PNG      38,570 #6 All time

Forest Brook vs PNG  25,335

14,000 in attendance at the Nederland game that year (p310)

12,000 at homecoming vs Vidor (p310)

14,000 at the game vs Lincoln (p310)

18,000 at the game vs TJ (p311)

Page 319 DToV

Lists top 5  Astrodome "The Big Tee-pee" records: PNG holding 4 spots (#'s 1,3,4,5) '81 Yates vs Lake Highlands game had the #2 spot.

in '89  The tribe played before two crowds of 30,000 +

Being a 1982 Longview graduate and after watching numerous Longview games,I agree that PNG has one of the best fan base in the state. I moved to Mid County 4 years ago and have only attended a couple games. Longview has a great fan base as well, but there are 3 high schools there.Longview would average around 7500 longview fans at home games and around 4500 on away games except for the playoffs.I know for sure PNG average is better.I am new to this area, but will defend it.Good Luck this season to all.

the last time PNG visited WOS for a 7:30 game, i arrived at the stadium about 6:00.  fans were parking a mile away.  the visitor (PNG) side  of the stadium was completely full.  i couldn't believe my eyes.  there is no doubt in my mind,  PNG has a great following.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami