Barbers Hill's All time team!!

Hey guys, I would like some input on your all time team for 'dem Eagles! (or as far back as you can remember)

Here's my list: (as you can tell it only goes so far back)

QB:Northcutt, Daniels, Jabo?

HB: Carrington... big time back from McGallion Era

FB: Thurman Blake, McWilliams

TE: Zach Tompson, Dale Sexton, guy from 95ish?

WR: Priest? Fisher, Moore, Joseph Daniels

OT: Marek, Robinson? Robinson

OG:Aycock,

C:  Cannon

Nose:Swart

DT: ?

DE:Cox, Dan Walsh (small but technically perfect)

LB: Dolan, Joe Sexton, Byrd,

CB:Patton,

S: Sonnenberg,

K:Jabo, Harvey

P:Hargraves

Ret:?

What say ye? I think most would fall between 90 and 2007 because of the time differences in athletes and the quality of teams. There were always studs of course!

Or direct me to the topic where this was discussed already. ;)

There were many before '98.  How about BH's all-time leading rusher... Jeff Jones. 1991-1993 football  seasons.

You would have to put some of the kids from the early to mid 70's tweams on there..They won State Championships.. Gordon Speer, obviously is a name you left off......Quality of athletes, hmm, i think they were in better shape in many ways in years back..Today's offensive lineman are typically out of shape and overweight IMO...

I edited to include '90, typo....

Gordon Speer is a brainfart, I guess the main problem is we never have those Elite athletes that distinguish themselves (outside of Kenny Robbins), are not eligible for college, or are too small for the big time schools (dolan, joe sexton).

Honestly I can only vaguely remember Jeff Jones.

I think there is a general bias towards more current players due to the athletic differences.

Yes I would say that I am biased, simply on the numbers, I.E. linebackers are now 6'4 250 running 4.75 whereas those would be linemen even 25 years ago. Also, outside of new restrictions on practices where coaches cannot treat players like they used to, players in years past did not have more heart or toughness, its just that there are MORE wusses now. The quality of equipment also takes away from the cuts and bruises. Just my opinion.

Tackles - Jaime Harvey would join Robbins at Tackle.  Victor Mamich also did well about the time Kenny came through and went on to  UH.

Guards - Jimmy Sylvia I think was a 4 year starter and went on to college

QB - Randy McCollum

LB - Pete Garner from 80's

Bobby Steck I think was one of the fastest to come through and was a good running back in real old days.

Of the ones I've seen in the last 30 years I would have say Troy Hansen at Running Back.

Jabo is the real historian....He can probably rattle off top 5 at every position.

TNT, some reading comprehension, I said they have no MORE than today's players, it was not hotter back in the day, kids did not hit harder, its simply that coaches could push much much more and the equipment sucked. (But many more kids are whiners nowadays)

Also, I did the LB example to make a point, not to be exact. To be realistic, Chad Jones for LSU is 6'3 230+ and runs damn close to a 4.45, could you ever fathom this for a SAFETY 20 years ago? (Not to mention 93+ from the left!!) And yes you are right BH has nothing close to this.

Mamich, Sylvia, and Harvey I should have remembered, they are locks. A friends dad said Garner was a beast, and Steck is in the hall of honor.

Also, I am not trying to antagonize, rather trying to live in the past and not thing about the present state of BH football. ;)

:-\ Good Players but BH played football before 98. Some of your recievers caught like 2 balls for thev season and wear scared to death to get hit. You really need to get with some one who knows the history of Bh before you post any kind of list like this one.

Buddy Tinsley was by far the best lineman to ever play at Barbers Hill.

He played for 17 seasons in Canada, and has been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of fame.

Donnie Myers (receiver) was a good one.

Bill Kilgore was probably as good of an overall football player that ever went through the Hill.

J.W. Pittman........three words about him..........fast, fast, fast.

For the most part BH has never had exceptional athletes, although there have been more than most remember, but we've always had some of the hardest working kids around.  Guy's like Jabo, Kenneth Ducet, Bill Kilgore, Jamey Harvey, Vance Hale, a kid with last name Clark and many more, were some of the more talented athletes.  Go check out the hall of fame sometime.  Then you have guy's like Beaver Trousdale that played so far beyond his size and ability, that he had an award named in his honor. 

I think we still have good kids now, and many that believe in hard work.  With that said, I'm not sure we have many kids that would go through the kind of program that the boy's in the late 60's and early 70's went through under Gene Sharp.  I've heard that the practises were so tough it made the games a cake walk.  On one occasion one of the fathers from another team took his kid out of the game because BH played so hard and tough.  I know they were not as big and strong as the kids are today, but I'm going to say that they could hang with the kids today because they were tougher and better conditioned.  Go ask Jabo about the things Gene Sharp put them through...you won't believe it.

I think the idea of coming up with an all time team, would be very interesting.  I think it would be a good idea for that to be a part of the hall of fame.  I think it would be best to do it in 20 or 30 year intervals, because every few years it would change.  You could do a best of team for the 30's & 40's, and so on.  For me though, coming up with an all time team would require far more research than just the last five or ten years.

Is it time for kick off yet?

Here are some State Record results for track and field that include Bobby Steck and Gordon Speer.  Both were pretty darn fast. 

FIVE CONFERENCES FROM 1959-present 

CONFERENCE B (1959-1980)/1A (1980-present)

1958 Speer, Gordon Barbers Hill 9.8

1959 Green, David L. Richland Springs 9.8

1961 Smith, James L. Cherokee 9.8

1962 Ronald Fountain Longview Spring Hill 9.7

100-yds 1967 Ed Kubicek Vernon Lockett 9.7

100-Met 1980 Kerr, Larry Gene Snook 10.7 New Event

1981 Keeling, Greg Miles 10.6

1982 Keeling, Greg Miles 10.6

1984 Kerr, Stanley Snook 10.2

1985 Kerr, Stanley Snook 10.1 10.34*

CONFERENCE 1A(1959-1980)/2A (1980-present)

1952 Hall, Ken Sugarland 10.2

1959 Adams, Don Groesbeck 9.8

1962 Holmes, Mike Reagan County Big Lake 9.7

1967 Steck, Bobby Barbers Hill 9.7

1970 Graves, Sherman Groesbeck 9.5

1977 Kerr, Leslie Roy Snook 9.5

State record stats for Jabo:

Single-Game Passing TDs

8-Drew Tate, Baytown Lee vs. Baytown Sterling, 2001

8-Kirk Saul, Turkey Valley vs. Chillicothe, 1986

8-Jabo Leonard, Barbers Hill vs. Deweyville, 1971

7-Chandler Dane, Decatur vs. Fort Worth Dunbar, 2003

7-Graham Harrell, Ennis vs. 3 Diff. Opponents, 2003

7-Kellen Haynes, Crosby vs. Houston Davis, 2003

7-Graham Harrell, Ennis vs. Cleburne, 2002

(nine others tied with 7)

PATs — Career

227-Jarrod Martin, Celina, 1993-96

212-Jason Fernandez, Southlake Carroll, 3A, 1988-90

168-Brian Hulett, Springlake-Earth, 1992-94

167-Kyle Matthews, Copperas Cove, 2004-06

162-Jabo Leonard, Barbers Hill, 1969-71

You'd be hard pressed to find a better QB than Jabo Leonard. He knows how to win and to this day, is just as good a motivator. The kid love that guy....Great coach and person....

I wish Jabo would coach and bring that Eagle spirit and drive back to the Hill!!! BH is getting watered down with move ins that don't quite understand what BH is all about.

Couldn't agree more BHFAN.. Jabo can light a fire under anybody because the kids can see he really cares..and the move ins, no doubt many of them are clueless about the BH football tradition...

Those "move-ins" include coaches........

Hey son where you been?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83