Liberty ISD athletic director discusses 1st year

This is the hidden content, please

Liberty ISD athletic director discusses 1st yearBy MELECIO FRANCO

Updated: 06.22.09

Liberty ISD Athletic Director Shane Deel addressed the members of the Liberty Rotary Club on June 16 and discussed his first year on the job and how well the teams did this past school year.

Deel said that the overall goal for all of the teams was to get to the playoffs. This year, every team went to the playoffs except for football, softball and girls basketball.

He said that Hurricane Ike impacted the department especially football. The football department has been in a building process since Deel arrived.

“When I got here there were 50 kids in the football program,†said Deel. “Now we have 130 as of August.â€

Deel said that students are training hard during the offseason and making gains by lifting weights.

He said that one of the major successes of the district’s athletic program was getting the middle school athletic program started. He said that approximately 55 to 60 middle school students will be enrolled in football next year.

“We have an eighth grade group proud to be Panthers,†said Deel. “They are already coming up to the school to work out.â€

In addition, the middle school has approximately 120 students in golf and tennis.

The athletic department introduced a soccer program in February, but there was no coach. Deel said that he spent two weeks calling around the area looking for teams to play.

“The boys’ soccer team went undefeated,†he said. “It’s been a tremendous success.â€

Deel explained that even though they didn’t have a UIL team, the no-pass, no-play rule was still enforced.

By offering boys soccer, 30 kids are now in the athletic program that weren’t doing anything before, according to Deel.

Other high points in the season included hiring a new basketball coach. The team went to the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

“The baseball team also went to the playoffs, but unfortunately faced another first round defeat,†said Deel.

He described evidence of increasing athletic program participation was the need for additional lockers. At the high school, the PE locker room was converted into an athletics locker room to accommodate the additional students. He predicts that the 300 lockers currently available will be filled up in three years.

“Every kid in every sport is getting more confident in what they are doing,†said Deel. “I’m excited with the progress we’ve made this year. We are a 3A school that offers as many sports as a 4A school.â€

Deel told the audience that he appreciates all of the help he receives from the community and he encouraged parents to keep bringing their kids into the athletic program.

i heard from reliable sources that the only reason there are such good numbers is because the a.d. lets anyone and everyone participate without any consequences for their actions.  including kids that did not previously play because of discipline and grade issues.  i have a friend that works at liberty and i was told that as soon as the new a.d. took the job it was like night and day as far as discipline in the classroom is concerned.  next year will definitely be interesting though.....because if they are still unsuccessful with 130 kids in the program then something else may be the issue.  and i have a feeling that the "number" of players isn't going to matter in this case.

i heard from reliable sources that the only reason there are such good numbers is because the a.d. lets anyone and everyone participate without any consequences for their actions.  including kids that did not previously play because of discipline and grade issues.  i have a friend that works at liberty and i was told that as soon as the new a.d. took the job it was like night and day as far as discipline in the classroom is concerned.  next year will definitely be interesting though.....because if they are still unsuccessful with 130 kids in the program then something else may be the issue.  and i have a feeling that the "number" of players isn't going to matter in this case.

so... the discipline got worse or better?

As far as academics goes, I would think it'd give those kids with grade issues an incentive to pass. Everyone of those kids deserves a chance to turn it around, he can't just black list them as soon as he gets there. If there are TRULY no consequences, which I doubt, then there will be definite issues. i wish the panthers the best!

maybe since he was new to the school he decided to give everyone a chance...i dont know if he is kicking out kids with discipline issues now but since he had to deal with all the kids without knowing them previously maybe they all got a clean slate to start out with...that seems reasonable...

if liberty can keep that many kids in the athletic dept then it will eventually reap the benefits...the competition is higher and you get your best athletes in school on the field instead of in the stands or at home...they may not come through this year but eventually they will see progress....now whether or not he can keep the kids coming out is another question that will have to be answered...

maybe since he was new to the school he decided to give everyone a chance...i dont know if he is kicking out kids with discipline issues now but since he had to deal with all the kids without knowing them previously maybe they all got a clean slate to start out with...that seems reasonable...

if liberty can keep that many kids in the athletic dept then it will eventually reap the benefits...the competition is higher and you get your best athletes in school on the field instead of in the stands or at home...they may not come through this year but eventually they will see progress....now whether or not he can keep the kids coming out is another question that will have to be answered...

well said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder