Class 2A Preseason Coach's Poll

Guest rykerx144

bucs aint always been spectacular either.  Look at the stats from late eightys and early ninteys, and besides they dont even play east chambers and havent in a long time so how could they get tired of them beating em??

I dont buy the K-ville hype yet, I just dont think they will have a very good QB, and the argument will be a great RB, But i just dont think he will be enough to overcome a bad QB.

A preseason poll is all hype they are based on what the team did the year before and who they have coming back and what they think they will do.  There are prob 3 or 4 teams on this list that wont be on it a few weeks into the season.

I dont buy the K-ville hype yet, I just dont think they will have a very good QB, and the argument will be a great RB, But i just dont think he will be enough to overcome a bad QB.

A preseason poll is all hype they are based on what the team did the year before and who they have coming back and what they think they will do.  There are prob 3 or 4 teams on this list that wont be on it a few weeks into the season.

Both good points but what gets me is that everyone is questioning their D this yr.  We all know that they lost alot of starters but those starters didn't play the majority of each game last yr.  The playing time that the underclassman got will be a huge key to ther defense.  Somewhere in the 5-10 spot sounds about right for a pre-season poll.

Both good points but what gets me is that everyone is questioning their D this yr.  We all know that they lost alot of starters but those starters didn't play the majority of each game last yr.  The playing time that the underclassman got will be a huge key to ther defense.  Somewhere in the 5-10 spot sounds about right for a pre-season poll.

Well that is a bit of an overstatement I think.  They did not lose "alot of starters" they lost all 11.  It is also not likely true that the starters played less than half of the downs for the season (or if it was true then the posted stats were not accurate).  I get your point that Kirbyville was often up (particularly in most district games) and the backups/underclassmen likely got a good bit of playing time.  I also agree that playing time will certainly help in the coming season.  I just don't buy that they played more than the starters.

I think "questioning" the D is fair.  I don't think it is fair to say they won't be good or even that they don't deserve any ranking they have but losing 11 starters is enough for me to say I don't know how good that D would be.

From my chair, this is a very telling year for the Kirbyville program.  They have had a very special group of kids the past few years that all just left.  How they do without them will likely be a good indicator of things to come.

Well that is a bit of an overstatement I think.  They did not lose "alot of starters" they lost all 11.  It is also not likely true that the starters played less than half of the downs for the season (or if it was true then the posted stats were not accurate).  I get your point that Kirbyville was often up (particularly in most district games) and the backups/underclassmen likely got a good bit of playing time.  I also agree that playing time will certainly help in the coming season.  I just don't buy that they played more than the starters.

I think "questioning" the D is fair.  I don't think it is fair to say they won't be good or even that they don't deserve any ranking they have but losing 11 starters is enough for me to say I don't know how good that D would be.

From my chair, this is a very telling year for the Kirbyville program.  They have had a very special group of kids the past few years that all just left.  How they do without them will likely be a good indicator of things to come.

They didn't lose their entire starting D.  Still have 2 starting LB's a Dlineman and 2 DB's coming back.  Losing key parts....yes.  From the experience of calling every game the young players did play alot more than you think, and not necessarily in mop up duty.  "Maybe" I was of base in saying the majority of the time.  Questioning their D is fair...it's called an opinion.  People have always questioned it for the last 3-4 yrs.  Nothing new, but I can asure you that there are alot of young guys who got key playing time in the playoffs and if that isn't enough then what is?  Getting Johnson is another key...remember that.  Apparently you haven't noticed the young talent that keeps coming up and "is" still there.  I am not saying that they will be a lock down D but they will not be horrible as some people seem to think.  As stated, the new QB will be the key to the team.  Losing a leader like Hazlewood is big.  To me this team will have more to prove than in yrs past!  All teams that get to the finals have something to prove the next yr.  It just gets me that everyone is willing to write them off so soon.  Alvarez has been a proven winner there since his second yr and there was far less talent than now.

Apologies if I was misinformed.  DCTF reports 4 offensive and 0 defensive starters returning.

P.S.  It is JohnsTon  :P  and yes, that will most certainly help.

Also, I don't know what gave you the impression I am down or Kirbyville or the defense.  I am not.  At all.  As I said, there are a couple question marks..but those could turn out that this year's squad is better than last year..I just don't know.

The DCTF poll does not reflect the loss of Johnston at Newton and his addition to Kirbyville. I believe it will turn out to be a lot bigger deal than people think. The replacement at Newton has not ever been able to get kids to respond and play like Johnston could. Kirbyville should improve as the year goes on with Johnston's assistance. He is very good at adjusting players and where they best fit in a defense. He will move players around until he finds a chemistry that works. Sign of a good coach. I still think Newton will miss him greatly.

Apologies if I was misinformed.  DCTF reports 4 offensive and 0 defensive starters returning.

P.S.  It is JohnsTon  :P  and yes, that will most certainly help.

Also, I don't know what gave you the impression I am down or Kirbyville or the defense.  I am not.  At all.  As I said, there are a couple question marks..but those could turn out that this year's squad is better than last year..I just don't know.

No problem...I think that DCTF gets quite a bit wrong....there are alot of HS teams to cover.

Guest hardcore

I feel that their QB will surprize alot of people because I know something thta people are over looking.  I will not say.  You have to wait until the first game of the year.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hardcore

P.S. IT is JohnsTon  :P and yes, that will most certainly help.

k-ville will surprise alot of people this year when they finally win state.  I have a good feeling about this team and their desire to win.  I am a firm believer that heart can win games just take a page out of jasper baseball squad who had the heart and desire to not give up when everybodyelse wrote them off several years ago. One person does not make a team.  A team is base on working together to achieve a certain goal without self praise. You heard this from hardcore that is the bottom line.

No problem...I think that DCTF gets quite a bit wrong....there are alot of HS teams to cover.

• 1 month later...

The DCTF poll does not reflect the loss of Johnston at Newton and his addition to Kirbyville. I believe it will turn out to be a lot bigger deal than people think. The replacement at Newton has not ever been able to get kids to respond and play like Johnston could. Kirbyville should improve as the year goes on with Johnston's assistance. He is very good at adjusting players and where they best fit in a defense. He will move players around until he finds a chemistry that works. Sign of a good coach. I still think Newton will miss him greatly.

Obviously, either you don't know the "replacement" or you are a disgruntled parent.  The "replacement" has consistently produced winning seasons as JV head coach.  He was there before Johnson and has been the one constant on the defensive coaching staff at Newton.  Might want to get to know the man before you post.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833