Barbers Hill Quarterback

There is a lot of talent that gets passed up in high school because coaches have tunnel vision. Once you start a position in 7th grade, you generally stay put. I don't agree with it because kids grow, get faster and ability changes. It has been that way since the dawn of time seems like. They put a little time in a kid at a position and think that if they tried him somewhere else then they wasted their effort in the early years. The biggest challenge for a coach is to learn change could be good, especially changing your rprgram to fit the athletic abilities of the group of kids you have. JMO

Can someone please email this to Coach Price  ;D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of talent that gets passed up in high school because coaches have tunnel vision. Once you start a position in 7th grade, you generally stay put. I don't agree with it because kids grow, get faster and ability changes. It has been that way since the dawn of time seems like. They put a little time in a kid at a position and think that if they tried him somewhere else then they wasted their effort in the early years. The biggest challenge for a coach is to learn change could be good, especially changing your rprgram to fit the athletic abilities of the group of kids you have. JMO

Can someone please email this to Coach Price  ;D

This happens everywhere. PNG has been the master of tunnel vision these past several years but hopefully this has changed with the new coaching staff.

Can someone please email this to Coach Price  ;D

I think BringinTheHeat is Coach Price ??? ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Area grid teams search for QBs

By Dave Rogers

Published August 6, 2009

Football could be the ultimate team game in that all 11 of the players on each side of the ball must make a contribution in order for their team to succeed.

But having a veteran quarterback surely helps.

Just ask Goose Creek Memorial coach Bret Boyd or Crosby’s sixth-year busman Kevin Flanigan. Memorial’s Cody Larson and Crosby’s Dominic Merka are the only returning quarterback starters at the area’s UIL schools.

“There are so many more things you can do,†with an experienced quarterback, Flanigan said. “You can start at a point that’s so much father along. It may take you three-quarters of the season to get to that point with a new guy.

“It’s one of those deals where you know what he can do. You’re not second-guessing how’s he going to react to varsity competition. It’s just a matter of continuing with your teaching.â€

Memorial’s Larson, a 5-10, 180-pound senior, passed for 1,177 yards and 10 touchdowns and ran for 305 yards and three more TDs in a 1-8 Patriot season in 2008.

“Cody is definitely our starter,†Boyd said after three days of preseason workouts.

“Cody’s really increased his speed. You can tell a difference when he runs a play: it’s a lot faster than last year. A lot of that comes with confidence.â€

Merka, a 6-4, 210-pound junior, guided the Cougars two rounds deep into the playoffs, passing for 1,565 yards and 13 scores and rushing for 762 yards and five more six-pointers.

“Dominic’s going to get a lot better, and the good thing is that he knows it,†Flanigan said. “He’s got the physical tools, definitely. Mentally, he’s one of the toughest kids in our program and his work ethic is second to none.

“That’s why he’s going to be successful.â€

Junior Price Jacobs is back as No. 2 quarterback for Memorial, behind Larson. Since Jacobs is expected to start at wide receiver this year, he’s sharing backup reps in practice with sophomore Chris Cowen, who was Memorial’s freshman team QB last year.

Senior Wesley Holloway, a cornerback starter last year, is running No. 2 for Crosby, with sophomore Donnie Starks, the younger brother of two-year Cougar QB starter Durran Starks (2006-07) making a push.

Here’s a look at how the quarterback position is shaking out at other area schools:

Robert E. Lee

Senior Daniel Guzman, junior Malcolm Ruben and sophomore Nate Scott have gotten most of the practice reps at quarterback in the first three days of preseason practice for the Ganders.

Senior Jarrett Havins is the only player on the roster to have played quarterback in a varsity game, but Havins has been known for his versatility during his career at Lee, having also played receiver, running back and linebacker the past two years.

Sterling

The Rangers don’t begin practice until Monday and they’ll start with the same four guys splitting time at QB as did in the spring: seniors Andre Corley, Rashawn Williams, and Colton Kolaja and junior Chance Nelson.

They might play all four this season, coach Herb Minyard said.

“We’re going to do whatever is necessary in order for the Sterling Rangers to be successful,†he said.

Barbers Hill

Seniors Matthew Viverette and Cade McDonald are battling for the No. 1 spot for the Eagles. Viverette played quarterback as a sophomore, but moved to defensive back last year, where he excelled.

McDonald has been a background at quarterback. He has also played receiver and defensive back.Anahuac

Junior Cody Johnson, a linebacker for the Panthers a year ago after playing quarterback as a freshman, appears likely to land the man-under job for coach Darrell Barbay with sophomore Justin Albritton as his backup.

“He’s a very intelligent kid and he’s made great strides this week with his throwing,†Barbay said of Johnson. “I’m very excited about him.â€

Baytown Christian

Gary Kissinger, a receiver and halfback most of the 2008 season, was the Bulldog starting QB in their final game, a six-man football victory. As BCA is shifting to six-man mostly full-time this year, he has the edge.

Freshman Brandon Horne will be in the mix after he recovers from a broken arm. Two others who will get reps are junior Caleb Harp and freshman Kye Fontentot.

This was a "no brainer".. Price isn't going to start a freshman at QB....The Viverette and McDonald kids are both very capable of handling the job. Both have good arm strength, speed and leadership ability as Seniors..Viverette is a good sized kid,and that won't hurt his chances...

Banana Shake-----Large  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I watched a few of the 7 on 7 matchups and as far as accuracy throwing the ball, McDonald had the edge.  both have good arms.  Mathew is a little more athletic so I guess it's about what the coaches are looking for.  I hope it's not QB left, right and up the middle again.

I'm guessing we will see both taking snaps, at least early in the season.  May need Viverette in the secondary for some opponents.  Also think that to make the playoffs and maybe win a round, 3-4 kids may have play go both ways most of the time in critical games.  Whaterver happens, ready to see them strap it up and get after it!  Go Eagles!

I watched a few of the 7 on 7 matchups and as far as accuracy throwing the ball, McDonald had the edge.  both have good arms.  Mathew is a little more athletic so I guess it's about what the coaches are looking for.  I hope it's not QB left, right and up the middle again.

I've seen it for 9 years if they change I'll buy everyone a shake!! ;D

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen it for 9 years if they change I'll buy everyone a shake!! ;D

Again, the Sophomore QB looked great.  The High Island Coaches said his name was Newcombe, does anyone know anything about him?  After watching his ability last week, I really hope the coaches at BH are doing the same.  Where did that kid come from?  He was the Energizer Bunny!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• No chance in hell that this pos is found guilty. 
    • After his silly conviction, President Trump has raised over 200 Million dollars!  The people are seeing through it!  Excellent!  
    • Let’s see if joe biden’s words about no one is above the law, made after the rigged trial of President Trump, rings true with his po💩son.  Hopefully, but I’m not going to hold my breath, they put the sorry sob in prison.
    • I liked his no bull crap attitude. He was a man of very few words. Extremely strong and freaky athletic!!! As close as possible to being the best offensive lineman to ever play the game. I hope his family finds peace without him!!! RIP #73
    • Chester, a small town in NE Tyler County.  A town that is seeing growth with the addition of a national chain store and a new school being built.  If you travel 287 toward Dallas from the Golden Triangle you have probably passed through Chester.  Things tend to stay pretty consistent and it is your typical small town.   A trip to state is the buzz around town, and the talk before church services begin on Sunday.  This year’s graduating class will number 11.  We don’t have a radio station that covers the Yellowjackets.  We are never a lead story on any of the news stations that broadcast to our community. With all that said, there is a closeness and sense of pride in our community.  Every community rallies behind their kids as they progress into the playoffs.  We are proud of our boys as they have represented our community well and with class. We invite you to follow our boys as they go to state.  We welcome the greater SETX communities as honorary Yellowjackets.  Tune in, watch live or come to Round Rock personally and join us in supporting the Chester Yellowjackets.  Go ‘Jackets!!! ⚾️💜💛⚾️🟣🟡⚾️💜💛⚾️
  • Topics