Barbers Hill Quarterback

he well not be on varsity next year and if he does it well only be for a few games and wont get any playing time, so just because he wins some FRESHMAN camp doesn't mean that much in Friday nights where there are Jr. and Sr.'s, so get over it and in joy seeing him with the JV or maybe freshman

You a kid or a Coach? "and the beat goes on".  8) Look kids good luck to the young man who I do not even know and to the Eagles. Hope everyone on the rock has a good year. I will be hanging out in district 13-4a watching the likes of Marshall, Longview, Texas High, and SSprings. Come see me on the fifty at Maverick Stadium and I will show you some qbs.  8)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what happens this year with the QB position, BH is not a strong playoff team.

When he takes over his Soph year, things are going to starting changing.    His Junior/Senior year Barbers Hill will be loaded and ready to make a DEEP run.

I'm pumped about this freshman phenom ,but unfortunalty he will be utilized as a running back in the QB spot at BH. Mark my word that these coaches will not adjust for this kid it will be the same ole BH (Price) football untill BH hires a new AD. Goodluck to Preston and I hope he stays healthy and brings BH many wins in the future. Fresman and the QB spot works! look at Drew Tate from Baytown Lee although he was the coaches step son the coach had the vision that the kid could start and compete.

Jaggart , just curious how big would you say the Townley kid is, I just saw Viverette the other day, he's about 6-2" 175, I'd say, definitely gotten taller..He's a good sized kid, and very quick...and theres no guarantee that he'll be the QB either, they really like him on Defense, but lets not forget it'll take team effort by "ALL" of the kids to have good season, there won't be a "One Man" show regardless of who's under center. Lets not forget about the MCdonald kid, hes worked hard and is very smart, may lack size, but he's a got a great arm and touch on the ball...GO BH

You did say Texas A&M camp right....lol...Last time I checked these guys need to spend more time evaluating their own talent..

Geez you must work for a Gig'em.  ;D

Yes, I saw him probably 2 weeks ago at the store...I'm 6' and I was looking up. Dave Campbells Texas football has him at 6'-1". He's grown in the last couple of months and probably will some more before he's thru. Good size kid, and very well mannered..I hope he has a great year whichever side of the ball he's on.

I'm hearing now that come 2-a-days the QB spot is wide open. They will be looking at as many as 5-6 kids, including Freshman, and 2 kids that split time on the JV from last years team.  Apparently the coaches are wanting lots of competition.. Maybe the freshman kid has shot? That said, I still expect one of the senior boys to get the nod.

• 2 weeks later...

You did say Texas A&M camp right....lol...Last time I checked these guys need to spend more time evaluating their own talent..

so true, Texas A&M good call

As far as the Townley kid yea he a big kid, D1 ??????. He wont start this year so leave him on jv to get his snaps in. Sounds like a lot of family members tooting there horns. I guess only time will tell I know I have season tickets so I will be watching. Dont look for the hill to do any better than last year. But the future looks bright so I have heard we should be back in the playoffs in a couple years

Just wanted to say congratulations to the BH Quarterback Preston Townley.   He won the Texas A&M football camp for incoming Freshman.   (He also won the camp last year, as the top 8th grader in the state.)

I do know that the A&M coaches are VERY impressed with him!!!

BH will finally have a passing attack with this kid, I just hope they use him to his abilities.   I hope the Playbook is adjusted to his talents, because he is a special.

Congrats to the Townley kid on the camp award but you might want to keep things in perspective. I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself. Saying he was the top 8th grader in the state I believe would be a little presumptuous considering that only a handful of 8th graders in the state would attend any one camp. Also, don't expect anyone to make changes to their system for an unproven freshman that has only competed at the Middle School level. Things will get tougher now that he is no longer bigger, stronger, and faster than the defenses he is facing. He does have a strong arm, but at the varsity level your not going to have 2 or 3 receivers running wide open down the field on every play and your not going to have 8 to 10 seconds on most plays to make a decision. Arm strength is an important quality but it takes a lot more than that to be a successful QB at the varsity level. I look for him to get a chance to possibly compete at the JV level this year and we'll see where it goes from there.

When a school starts plays a freshman QB on varsity, that means two things.

1. The school has no QB depth. OR 2. This kid is the next Joe Monatana.

So no don't look for him to start

WHy not? If he can play who care what grades hes in? Being in the situation that BHas been over the last two years sure that they would welcome a kid like this.

I don't think the people posting have a problem with his age. I think most, including myself, do not believe he is ready to play at the varsity level. This is not Jr. High football anymore. If he's the best QB then without a doubt you give him the job, otherwise leave him on one of the lower level teams where he can play but not be overwhelmed. Your not going to know what he's ready for until he starts competing against some older kids, but I don't think throwing him out against varsity players is in his best interest. Move him up slowly as you find out what he can handle.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the dad and son have good connections with the BH quarterback coach to me. I have watched him and he is a good athlete, but still very immature. I saw a few plays he made in Jr. League baseball this year and needs to be more agile. All I have ever heard is how far he throws, once I even heard 70 yds. Accuracy, speed, agility and taking a hit at BH QB position is what it's going to take in their offense. He is a good kid and very talented, but I think he needs some playing time before "taking over the helm". The in coming freshmen have lots of good athletes, but so do the sophomores...McMillan, Duke, Thompson, Sexton, McDonald, etc...JMO

Viverette impressed the heck out of me last year. If it wasn't for an injury to the starting DB we may have never seen him! I remember thinking what in the heck is this kid sitting on the bench for!!!!!!! Did no one reconize his talent in 2 a days last year?

One of the best athletes Dayton's junior high played against last year.

There was also an 8th grade qb from one of the New Caney schools that was AWEsome!

Viverette was an excellent QB and a good defensive player last year when they came to Dayton.

BH fans must also realize that most of the talent at the high school will be freshmen and sophomores next year.

Starting him at Varsity might not be pretty next year.

The jump in speed of the game is TREMENDOUS from 8th grade to varsity and the QB position has to be the hardest to make the jump.

Good luck to him whatever happens, and I wouldn't be frustrated if he isn't playing varsity at the beginning of the season.

Might be a better plan to give him a few games at JV then make the jump to varsity if needed.

There is a lot of talent that gets passed up in high school because coaches have tunnel vision. Once you start a position in 7th grade, you generally stay put. I don't agree with it because kids grow, get faster and ability changes. It has been that way since the dawn of time seems like. They put a little time in a kid at a position and think that if they tried him somewhere else then they wasted their effort in the early years. The biggest challenge for a coach is to learn change could be good, especially changing your rprgram to fit the athletic abilities of the group of kids you have. JMO

There is a lot of talent that gets passed up in high school because coaches have tunnel vision. Once you start a position in 7th grade, you generally stay put. I don't agree with it because kids grow, get faster and ability changes. It has been that way since the dawn of time seems like. They put a little time in a kid at a position and think that if they tried him somewhere else then they wasted their effort in the early years. The biggest challenge for a coach is to learn change could be good, especially changing your rprgram to fit the athletic abilities of the group of kids you have. JMO

Thank you.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder