Barbers Hill Quarterback

Just wanted to say congratulations to the BH Quarterback Preston Townley.   He won the Texas A&M football camp for incoming Freshman.   (He also won the camp last year, as the top 8th grader in the state.)

I do know that the A&M coaches are VERY impressed with him!!!

BH will finally have a passing attack with this kid, I just hope they use him to his abilities.   I hope the Playbook is adjusted to his talents, because he is a special.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine not too many head coaches want to start a freshman at QB.  This kid however is not your average Freshman.  He has the SIZE and strength to get it done, and his work ethic is great.  Then there is the Arm strength, that I doubt anyone else has at BH.  I've heard in the past that it was the "small ball" in the junior high that he was throwing.  He proved this past week, that he can throw with the big boys.

Not to mention the kid makes excellent grades in school, and is a yes sir type kid who does whatever you ask him to.  He is never in trouble and is natural leader.

Should he start at QB?  Yes.   Will he?  Probably not in that system.  

I am guessing they want speed/athlete with Viverette (senior) playing the position.   I understand wanting a mobile quarterback, but now you have one who can actually THROW.  

If I had to bet, I would put my money on him starting on the J.V.   There is no sense in having him stand on the sidelines on Friday night just watching in uniform.

You can already tell he will be a D1 prospect.

Preston Townley is a good kid, very talented and his time will come, but its a huge step going from the 8th grade in my opinion and all the sudden being thrown in to the starting QB role at age 15. He needs at least a half season on Jv IMO just to get accustomed to the diffence in the quality of talent he'll be facing. Most all of the kids that are playing on Friday night  are strong, quick, and talented or they wouldn't be starting. The Mcdonald kid at BH has an arm, just not alot of size. IMO either him or Viverette will be taking snaps on Friday night. His time will come after he's paid his dues. And by the way, most of the kids at BH are "yes sir" kids....

Just wanted to say congratulations to the BH Quarterback Preston Townley.   He won the Texas A&M football camp for incoming Freshman.   (He also won the camp last year, as the top 8th grader in the state.)

I do know that the A&M coaches are VERY impressed with him!!!

BH will finally have a passing attack with this kid, I just hope they use him to his abilities.   I hope the Playbook is adjusted to his talents, because he is a special.

Sounds like a good one and will be fun to watch over the next four years.  ;D

Guest Ranger83

How many D1 d-linemen were putting pressure on him during this camp? How many D1 corners and safeties were in coverage at this camp? There is a big difference in doing well at a camp and getting the job done on Friday nights. Sounds like a terrific athlete, don't hand him the keys to the city just yet.

I agree Ranger83, there just alot of pieces that have to come together. These kids that take snaps on Friday night are under a huge amount of pressure. The QB has to know what everybody's doing. You should have seen the playbook  my son brought home when he used to Quarterback , (super thick), believe me once you've seen what they go through, I '"never" second guess these kids anymore, their doing the best they can. And Believe me the coaches see these kids all day and for the most part do a good job of evaluating talent,but don't always see the things the same way we do as parents. I believe the only D1 player to come out of BH has been Gordon Speer.. Maybe I'm missing somebody. Anyway I wish whoever gets the nod the best of luck this year and in the future. Hey it's their game, not ours!

PS:All the kids are busting their rears from the lineman,to the Defensive backs, Quarteback gets way to much credit and also way to much criticism. Go BH...

I forgot about Coach Skidmore, not familiar with the other two guys.

The Daniels kid, unfortunately lost a scholarship opportunity to Rice after knee during his senior season at BH injury and coaching change there. He then tried to walk on at Army and made the team, but kept having heat related problems and dropped out of football. He was a super athlete for BH and a well mannered "yes sir" kid.

The bottom line becoming a "D1" player takes lots of hard work and some luck. Everything has to fall into place.

When a school starts plays a freshman QB on varsity, that means two things.

1. The school has no QB depth. OR 2. This kid is the next Joe Monatana.

So no don't look for him to start

WHy not? If he can play who care what grades hes in? Being in the situation that BHas been over the last two years sure that they would welcome a kid like this.

Because IMO and I believe the coaches will see it the same way, he simply won't be ready for varsity QB job. The Daniels kid was every bit as athletic and had the size. He was huge as freshman and he didn't start. This kids day will come but it won't be this year, the kids ahead of him are better prepared so he needs to work hard, listen and enjoy this year on JV. Also BH hasn't had dominant running back in a number of years. Thats had alot to do with the lack of successs the last couple of years. BH coaches aren't going to hand the reins over to this kid or any other. He'll have to earn it.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. Chris Daniels was huge is freshman year, mush bigger than his classmates as far as skilled athletes go., and his arm strength was super. He didn't even get close to starting a varsity game until the end of the season and then only after the games was well in hand. He stopped growing about his Junior year and other kids finally caught up with him, but he was super athlete. Very few 4A and 5A programs ever start a freshman QB and this year won't be any different for BH. I'll be shocked if this freshman even sees varsity uniform until near the end of the year. That said, I wish him the best of luck in the future, he's obviously  a great kid and athlete, and BH can use him in the future.

Camp football means nothing,just like 7 on 7..Put the pads on and then you can see who can play....Just ask Baytown Lee fans several years back when they won the 7 on 7 State Championship...When they put the pads on they won one game for the whole year...

Hmm does not mean anything? So a college coach cannot detect that a kid has some talent?? Ya right. Give the fish a break bc if he is good let it be and give him a chance. Not like BH has torn it up over the last two years so just MAYBE he will  be given  one.  I am sure there are  some bigger skewls that would luv to have the kid.  Who is the qb coach at BH?

I am sure this kid will be a good player but don't jump the gun because of a camp trophy.  The drills competed in at this camp were 1) Long ball -how far can you throw with a crow hop  2) accuracy - throwing to 5 stationary nets  3) quick release - throwing as many balls as you can into a target 15 yards away in 25 seconds  4) moving target - hitting a dummy on a moving gator  5)  don't remember the 5th.  I would venture to say none of these tests measure athletic ability.

I am not saying the kid will not be good but just remember the one qb at the camp with professional experience did not do well on any of the tests.  Be happy for the kid but keep it all in perspective and don't berate the coaches if the kid is not starting as a freshman only because he is big and won a camp trophy.  He also only competed against the other freshmen in the camp.

I am sure this kid will be a good player but don't jump the gun because of a camp trophy.  The drills competed in at this camp were 1) Long ball -how far can you throw with a crow hop  2) accuracy - throwing to 5 stationary nets  3) quick release - throwing as many balls as you can into a target 15 yards away in 25 seconds  4) moving target - hitting a dummy on a moving gator   5)  don't remember the 5th.  I would venture to say none of these tests measure athletic ability.

I am not saying the kid will not be good but just remember the one qb at the camp with professional experience did not do well on any of the tests.  Be happy for the kid but keep it all in perspective and don't berate the coaches if the kid is not starting as a freshman only because he is big and won a camp trophy.  He also only competed against the other freshmen in the camp.

Who is berating the coaches? Real simple and that is kid goes to a camp, does well, wins some awards and someone points that out right?  Next thing you know you have jealous parents or coaches or here racking the lad. What gives? Is there not enough room for everyone here? Get over it and win some games at BH instead of calling out a kid and proud parent. Instead of worrying about a lad that good had a good camp lets worry about winning some football games this year.  ???

he well not be on varsity next year and if he does it well only be for a few games and wont get any playing time, so just because he wins some FRESHMAN camp doesn't mean that much in Friday nights where there are Jr. and Sr.'s, so get over it and in joy seeing him with the JV or maybe freshman

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder