Installation of turf to begin at LU's football stadium

From Lamar University

Heavy equipment will roar to life and work will begin a 10 a.m. Tuesday morning to prepare for the installation of a state-of-the-art artificial field turf at W. S. "Bud" Leonard Field in the Provost Umphrey Stadium at Lamar University.

This is the hidden content, please

Yes I bet it will and it is interesting that they went with Hellas to do the turf instead of Olympia Turf who did the baseball field.  You wonder where your tax dollars go. Hellas was $116,000 over Olympia Turf.  Just think of what else could have been done with that extra money.  Also seems it would have been great to go with a local company.  I know for a fact that the baseball program was very satisfied with Olympia.  Rumor has it that they wanted to go with the same as what was just put in the Dallas Cowboy Stadium.  Funny,  Olympia is a better product just not as well known as the original "Field Turf".  "Field Turf" is the product that was just replaced at Ford Park go out and look at the difference in the fields.  Another example of our govt. wasting money.

Guest coachacola

Tax money isn't being used for the field turf.  And I doubt Lamar would spend and extra $116,000 just because it's used at the new Dallas Cowboys stadium.  How do you know that the bid Hellas made for the football field was $116K more than Olympia Turf?

You are correct in that the money was donated by an anonymous donor, however any funds not used would be used for something else.  It was an open bid process and was available to the public.  You are correct in that I am sure they are not using Hellas just because they did in Arlington. Just would have been nice if they had used a local company and kept the money in our economy and not sent it elsewhere when the products are almost like comparing apples to apples.  I am just glad the decision has been made and it will be done before next year.

All the dirt from the stadium is going to be used to build a 2nd practice field next to the current one. Also it was funny I was at football camp there this morning and crews asked Coach Woddard if he wanted them to stop bringing the dirt over until the camp was over he said heck no we can deal with some dust just get it done. He also said work on the field house starts in 2 days.

Guest coachacola

I can't wait for them to start on the field house.  We've seen drawings of the front, now it's time to see some of the back that face the field.  How close will it be to the field?  Will the suites and club seats be part of the field house or part of the stadium?  Will the field house be further from the field than the Montagne Center to allow for seats in the future?  There's still a lot of unanswered questions!!

Guest coachacola

I think a major renovation of the Montagne Center is in the works after they finish all these other renovations.  A $5 million plus renovation of Vincent-Beck is next on the wish list.  After that is done then I think they want to add some practice courts to the Montagne Center, so probably at that point they'll redo the outside so it matches the stadium better.

Since Dr. Simmons stated that the stadium can be easily expanded to hold 36,000, that must mean they have planned for seats in both end zones along with upper decks.  Hopefully the demand will be there for them to start expanding the stadium soon.

they are smart waiting though, making sure first off that we can win, and second off that we can fill the stadium.

the inside of the montagne is fine, other than the hanging scoreboard thing.. that needs to go.

and i figure part of that $5 million for beck is finishing turfing the entire field.. but beck is already one of the nicest in the southland. i'm guessing more bleachers, or new bleachers? not sure if any of that is needed..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami