**PN-G at LC-M Updates...8-4 LC-M Wins!!!**

Bears corral PN-G, 8-4

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — If people in Southeast Texas do not think Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears coach Steve Griffith knows his baseball, think again.

Griffith made a prediction it would take multiple homers for either the Bears or Port Neches-Groves Indians to win Thursday’s game at homer-friendly Don Gibbens Field.

The Bears won the home run battle 3-1 and LC-M defeated PN-G 8-4 in a key District 20-4A game.

“I knew the wind was blowing out and I knew we would need two or three homers to win,†Griffith said. “I’m just dang glad it was the Bears.â€

The first home run came off the bat of Matt Johnson in the bottom of the third to give LC-M (17-9, 7-1) a 2-0 lead.

Johnson was yet to have a home run this season and yes Griffith even predicted Johnson would hit a dinger Thursday night.

The Indians would crawl to within 2-1 in the top of the fifth when Austin Sangster crossed home plate off a balk from LC-M pitcher Shane Waddell.

LC-M went on top 3-1 in the bottom of the inning when Tayler Thompson hit a home run to left field which knocked off the scoreboard.

PN-G (10-9, 6-2) answered again in the top of the sixth as Amir Jalai hit a solo homer to left field to make it 3-2.

LC-M would not play around in the bottom of the sixth scoring five runs on five hits.

The biggest hit coming off the bat of Stefan Cloeren who ripped a homer to very deep left field with Tim Barry on first.

Thompson later made it 6-2 with a RBI double to score Johnson.

Scott Vaughn got into the act with a RBI single to score Thompson.

Shane Waddell came in to score when Dallas Brown plated the Bears’ last run with a RBI single to center.

The Indians did not go quietly as PN-G scored two runs in the top of the seventh.

Blake Reyenga and Jerin Spikes each scored on a two-RBI double by Zach Rhame.

LC-M’s Dallas Brown picked up the win with three innings of work. Brown allowed no runs on two hits with two walks and one strike out.

Spikes started the game for the Indians and allowed two runs in four innings of work. Spikes allowed five hits with two walks and four strike outs.

“PN-G is always tough,†Cloeren said. “It is great to take two from that team this season. Now we are right in the middle of the fight for the district championship. Our team is playing with a lot of confidence right now.â€

The Bears venture to Beaumont Central Tuesday.

Cloren hit a home run in the bottom of sixth inning that was one of the furthest I have ever seen.  Great high school baseball game on both sides.

You couldn't even see how far it went because it disappeared into the trees and the night. It was a bomb. Jalai's HR was a shot too.

What a great highschool game.  The atmosphere was great.  I know all the homers were the story, but I would just like to say nice job to Brown and Waddell.  Both competed real well despite not looking to have their best stuff they really made pitches when they had to. Great job guys.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder