Did Billy Gillespie really make the right move going to UK?

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

What do you guys think? I think he is a pretty good coach, but it just does not seem like UK is a good fit for him....Should he have stayed at A&M?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hind sight is 20/20, but things transpired fast for Billy and he probably should've stayed at A&M at least a few more years before accepting a new position, especially at Basketball U!!  I don't think he'll be fired this year, but he will next year if they have the same results!

Guest nostradamus

If you are the basketball coach at Texas A&M and the best basketball job in the country (as proclaimed by Rick Pitino) offers you their job.....you take it....no questions asked.

I hope they give him one more year but, you never know in Kentucky. 

Guest DickVitale

Hold on now!! Billy Clyde was the MAYOR of College Station!  :D  He could do no wrong when he was there...He is also a very down to earth guy...Sometimes its just better to wait...I have learned that lesson myself...For some reason, UK is not responding the same way that A&M did....Billy is a hard nosed defensive minded coach and that just has not translated into UK as it did the A&M bunch...

he went to a great school, but his timing was bad. he left a program on a major upswing to go to a traditional power that has been on a steady decline for a few years.  if he can right the ship next season, however, and he can become successful at basketball U, and have an extended successful run there, he'll have an opportunity to be remembered as a great coach.  if it doesn't work out, he should have no trouble finding another good job at another good basketball school.

He made the best choice... He only has one recruitment class that is 100% his... He inhereted bad talent and getting them out the way! He has a really good  Freshman classes coming in with one five Star (#3 rated center, #12 rated overall) and two 4 star recruits.  He has a young talented team now.  Billy has a couple of more years left before they run him out of town...  I would not be surprise if he won the SEC next year... Definately the right move!

who cares? I played golf last week with a UK alum and they hate his fish eating guts. Don't kill the messenger just telling you he will be out soon and should be the way he did Gig'em.,

Guest aschrapps

So is this Alumni going to fire Gillespie? How did he do A & M? your telling me you wouldnt leave your job to be at one of the best jobs in your profession give me a freaking break.

So is this Alumni going to fire Gillespie? How did he do A & M? your telling me you wouldnt leave your job to be at one of the best jobs in your profession give me a freaking break.

yes the alumni can and will get his job bc just ask Tubby Smith. Tubby Smith looks like the Pope now. Billy Clyde thinks he is the first rock star in the rocking ranks. UK and NIT do not add up just ask Billy Clyde.

Bitter A&M fans....Turgeon would and will do the same thing if the chance presents itself and i dont blame him one bit

BCG will be fired just matter of time. Bitter? Ha

Guest aschrapps

your obviously bitter because your on here complaining about him leaving for Kentucky its not like he left for iowa state for gods sake

Guest DickVitale

I agree. If you are at A&M, you gotta take Kentucky...I can see Billy Donovan turning it down to stay at Florida, but you gotta make that jump....If he gets fired from there, he will have to be paid 6 MILLION DOLLARS....Don't think UK wants that tab....He stays at least 2 more years. AT LEAST.

Bitter A&M fans....Turgeon would and will do the same thing if the chance presents itself and i dont blame him one bit

I myself like Turgeon better, but as the headline reads, did he make the right move?  While any coach would be stupid for turning down Basketball U (see Donovan @ Florida?), this obviously is a prime example of the wrong move, looking back of course.  The headline doesn't read is he making the right move by going to UK!  I'm just saying he probably would have benefited better by staying put a few more years, and honestly, Kentucky probably shouldn't have come after him.  What seems funny is, I can see him replacing the coach that's gonna replace him!  :D

I'm an Aggie fan, and Billy made the best career decision for him, Kentucky is such a prestigious B-ball school and to be honest when you're at Kentucky you are going to get the big time recruits, thus giving you a better chance at winning it all. Right now I think our school is kind of a skipping stone of sorts to bigger jobs. Good thing is things are looking up for the ags with some big names coming in like Naji Hibbert.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont