Orangefield at Hardin-Jefferson Updates!!/ OF WINS!!!! 50-39!!!!!

Bobcat1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good game OF!  I normally don't comment about officials but 3 team fouls in the second half for

OF in a game that closely resembled a rugby match at times is ridiculous.

They missed a lot of calls on both sides.

I hope you aren't taking away from Orangefields effort tonight.  ???

Congrats OF. A very well played game.

As for my Hawks-so many in and out shots combined with several missed 2 footers spelled doom. It was just one of those games. LaLa never got on track offensively and she is so vital to our sucess. I do believe the officiating was a little suspect at best. Seems any foul that could have gone either way went against the Hawks with the one ref, but you have to deal with that and overcome it. On the point side of the game I am surprised the score was within 10 points the majority of the game the way HJ executed. If they can be that off and keep it respectable I like their chances next time. As for OF, you played steady for 4 quarters and deserve the win. Congrats again.

Also congrats to the Hawks JV.  HJ 39 OF 14

My hats off to OF and the way the girls played. They made the plays and worked hard the entire game. They stopped every run HJ made and they deserve a lot of credit. Now it means more than likely another game to decide the didstrict champion and I believe HJ will do a better job and I am looking forward to the game. I applaude the Orangefield fans you showed up in force like always and the gym was rocking.I know Jamie was sick and LaLa will get it going again so HJ  will be ready. Wagner and Fontenot each put on a show great job girls.

If they play again it will only be for seeding heading into the playoffs, it will be a shared district title. If they are tied after Tuesday, it is a co-district championship. A tie-breaker can only say who is the No. 1 seed and who is the No. 2 seed for  the bracket. Just wanted to remind everyone that  ;)

Lady 'Cats force tie in 21-3A with 50-39 win over Lady Hawks

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — Lady Bobcats’ Coach Chris Jost made a mistake Friday night.

He failed to tell Lady Bobcats’ senior Jessica Weldon an important piece of information — Orangefield’s senior night is Tuesday in Bobcats Gym.

Weldon spoiled Hardin-Jefferson’s Senior Night with her second double-double in as many games as the No. 9 Lady Bobcats defeated the No. 17 Lady Hawks, 50-39.

Weldon shined with 11 points and a game-high 10 rebouds to will the Lady Bobcats (23-5, 8-1) into a first-place tie with the Lady Hawks (20-7. 8-1).

“It’s amazing,†Weldon said. “We have been looking forward to this game since the loss. We wanted it so bad tonight. I’m just so excited right now.â€

The Lady Hawks defeated the Lady Bobcats 55-38 in the first round of district.

If one needs a glaring change of pace, the Lady Bobcats were 5-for-14 from the free throw line in that first contest.

Orangefield was 15-for-24 Friday, which is still not great, yet the Lady Bobcats were 12-for-16 in the fourth period.

Senior Olivia Wagner, who finished with 19 points ands and eight rebounds, was 8-for-8 from the line in the game’s final eight minutes.

Allie Beach had six points and eight rebounds for Orangefield while Aimee Scales added five points, four rebounds and four assists. Ashton Wagner had three points, three steals and three rebounds while fellow sophomore Kacy Juneau finished with four points and Kasidy Hayes had two points.

Orangefield also came up huge on the defensive side of the ball all night, which impressed Jost.

“We challenged every shot and they missed a bunch tonight,†Jost said. “it is not just the Lady Hawks have so many weapons because they run so many schemes. We had to prepare for everything. The first time we were prepared but we did not execute. This time we did. There are not very many teams that can hold H-J to 39 points. We have been searching all year for a full game of defensive pressure and we finally got it tonight.â€

The Lady Bobcats only allowed the Lady Hawks to lead once the entire game.

Hardin-Jefferson, who was led by 16 points from Victoria Fontenot, took a 17-16 lead with 4:24 left in the second period.

Orangefield quickly responded and responed in a fury.

The Lady Bobcats went on a 10-0 run to finish off the first half.

A pair of three-pointers from sisters Olivia and Ashton Wagner combined with a bucket and free throws from Olivia gave the Lady Bobcats a 26-17 lead at the break.

Both teams scored 12 points in the third as Orangefield led 38-29 heading into the fourth.

Fontenot scored eight points in the third for the Lady Hawks.

Then amazingly in the fourth Orangefield got all its points off of free throws and did not convert a single bucket.

“We had some calls go our way and were able to hit our free throws in the end,†Jost said.

Jaime King put in 10 points for the Lady Hawks while Taylor Sutherland finished with eight points and four rebounds.

Orangefield also cut down on the turnovers this go-around with Hardin-Jefferson. The Lady Bobcats had just 10 turnovers Friday, compared to 23 in the first round of district.

H-J had 17 turnovers in each contest

Weldon’s first double-double was this past Tuesday when she posted 14 points and dished out 10 assists.

The Lady Bobcats will play host to the Silsbee Lady Tigers Tuesday and Hardin-Jefferson will travel to face Hamshire-Fannett.

print this story  email this story  comment on this story 

Congrats to the OF ladies.They came ready to play tonight and HJ struggled shooting the ball.Never seen that many shots go that far down and then rim out.The game got ahead of the officials in the second half and almost got out of hand.That surprised me because these guys usually do a good job.The Lady Bobcats shot 24 free throws and I believe the Hawks shot 2 on the night.I know late in the game the Hawks fouled intentionally but the foul count was well out of balanve before that part of the game.Great atmosphere for the game and the bobcats are to be congratulated.They were in a must win and played very well tonight.

A lot of times the difference in free throw attempts can be summed up to a team driving to the basket and the other taking jump shots.

HJ took a lot of jump shots tonight, and many just did drop which is unusual.

OF did a nice job going to the hole and initiating contact so thus the reason for so many free throws. IMO.

It was great to finally go to Hawks Gym. I cannot believe that was my first and now probably only trip. Like I told Coach Sims, the new one will look great yet deep down you miss the feel of the old timer gyms.

HJ did take a ton of long range shots tonight.It's still very unusual to see a team press an entire half and wind up with 3 team fouls.Your better teams always adjust to the officiating and adapt,neither team could adjust tonight because the officiating was very inconsistant.All in all OF just played better tonight.Should be a dandy in round 3 if both clubs take care of business on Tuesday.I imagine LaLa will be chompin at the bit for a rematch.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476