**Here Are Your Willie Ray Smith Award Winners**

WO-S' Robinson, WB's Michael winners of Smith Awards

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

BEAUMONT — West Orange-Stark defensive end Kevin Robinson won the Defensive Award and Beaumont West Brook running back Christine Michael won the Offensive Award at the 17th annual Willie Ray Smith Sr. Awards Banquet Thursday night at the Elegante Hotel, honoring Southeast Texas' top high school players from this past season.

Robinson, The Orange Leader’s Defensive Player of the Year and First Team Class 3A All-State pick, was a dominant force up front for the Mustangs.

He was elated when he accepted the award.

"I really would like to thank the Lord for giving me such a wonderful opportunity to play football," said Robinson. "I feel truly blessed to win this award because everyone nominated were deserving."

Robinson became the first Mustang defensive end to lead the squad in tackles in the program's storied defensive history.

Not bad for a 5-8, 165-pound defensive end.

"I may not be the biggest but I have a lot of heart thanks to my Mom," said Robinson. "At West Orange-Stark, you don't have to be the biggest all the time. We always count on our team speed and flying to the football."

Mustang head coach Dan Hooks was thrilled about Robinson being the fifth Mustang defensive player to earn the award.

"Kevin came on strong for us late in the season when he was a junior and we knew we had something special going into his senior year," said Hooks. "He's dynamite in a small package. He's the type of kid that pushed himself hard every single workout. He's an overachiever, forget about his size, he was a tremendous football player for us."

Defensive coordinator Cornel Thompson echoed the same sentiments.

"Kevin epitomizes what West Orange football is all about," said Thompson. "He has such tremendous heart in that little body and he will line up and go after it. He made so many big plays for us. He was there for a sack. He was there with big tackles for losses. He was so huge on special teams. What an awesome young man. We're proud of him."

Robinson would love to play ball on the next level as well.

"I don't know what my future holds right now except that I know I want to play some ball somewhere and I think I'll get that opportunity," said Robinson. "To play ball and to continue my education, that's what it's all about."

Robinson notched 107 tackles, 16 of them for losses. He also caused four fumbles and recovered two and recorded seven sacks and 10 more pressures. Robinson didn't stop there. On special teams, he blocked five kicks.

Defensive finalists that joined Robinson included Beaumont Ozen linebacker Justin Isadore, Kirbyville linebacker Broderick Jackson, and Central linebacker William Jones.

Michael rushed for more than 1,300 yards to lead Class 5A West Brook to the playoffs. Michael has verbally committed to Texas A&M University.

Joining Michael on the offensive finalist list included WO-S quarterback Ortavious Hypolite, Kirbyville quarterback Aaron Hazelwood and Lumberton running back Jacob Hanna.

The guest speaker was Lamar University head football coach Ray Woodard, who is solidly building a foundation in starting the Cardinals' football program back up.

A panel of area sportswriters and sportscasters were asked to review a list of area school nominees submitted by area coaches. The media members picked four offensive and four defensive finalists in early December.

Those same news media representatives were required to vote a second time to choose a winner from the four offensive and defensive finalists.

The Smith Awards are in honor of legendary Southeast Texas coach Willie Ray Smith, Sr. (1911-1992).

Smith began his coaching career in 1942 at Dunbar High School in Lufkin. After coaching for four years, Smith came to Orange where he led Wallace High School up to 1957. In 1957, Smith began an 18-year coaching stint at Beaumont Charlton-Pollard High School.

Smith captured 235 games in his career, accomplishing amazing feats with stern discipline. He took over ill-equipped programs and turned each one of them into consistent winners.

Smith's sons, Tody and Bubba, who both starred in the National Football League, are among more than 20 players he helped send on to pro football.

SMITH WINNERS

Here are the past Willie Ray Smith Award winners:

1993: Offense: Dexter Hebert, Kelly; Defense: Frank Middleton

1994: Offense: Jay McGuire, Silsbee; Shaun Horn, Jasper

1995: Offense: Jeffery Spikes, Burkeville; Tyseski Adoin, West Brook

1996: Offense: Elijah Burkins, Thomas Jefferson; T.J. Light, Lumberton

1997: Offense: Bryan Bock, Bridge City; Fred Wright, Kountze

1998: Offense: Chip Ambres, West Brook; Defense: Charles Sias, WO-S

1999: Offense: Beaux Daville, Orangefield; Defense: Rod Gulley, Newton

2000: Offense: Dustin Long, PN-G; Defense: Gayron Allen, WO-S

2001: Offense: Sean Yoder, Nederland; Defense: Jermaine Hope, WO-S

2002: Offense: Tony Eckert, Lumberton; Defense: Ricky Wilson, Lincoln

2003: Offense: Matt Peebles, Bridge City; Defense: William Bryant, Jasper

2004: Offense: Jamaal Charles, P.A. Memorial; Defense: William Morrissey, Silsbee

2005: Offense: Jamaal Charles, P.A. Memorial; Defense: Brain West, Ozen

2006: Offense: Kenneth Beasley, WO-S; Defense: Sean Weatherspoon, Jasper

2007: Offense: Micah Mosley, Nederland; Defense: Earl Thomas, WO-S

2008: Offense: Cody Hussey, Lumberton; Defense: Tramain Thomas, East Chambers

2009: Offense: Christine Michael, West Brook Defense: Kevin Robinson, WO-S

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298