Who Wants An Athletic Scholarship?

Sobriquet

Truth In Advertising Statement: Anyone who doesn’t care for “think pieces†should hit the back button now.

Is an athletic scholarship worth having? I doubt that a generic answer of “yes†or “no†to that question is meaningful. The true answer varies from individual to individual depending on how it turns out for that person.

There are many examples of people who received athletic scholarships and then went on to great success in life. And the athletic scholarship was clearly instrumental in attaining that success. For them the scholarship was undeniably worth having.

There are also many examples of people who ultimately received no real benefit from the athletic scholarships they were given. For them it simply wasn’t worth it.

I’m sure high school athletes strive for that scholarship, but it still seems to me a mistake to blithely assume that once the scholarship is obtained, a bright future is guaranteed. It would be more sensible for each athlete to consider the realities and to formulate his own personal “game plan.†To ask, “If I accept an athletic scholarship now, how will that make my life better ten years from now? Or thirty or forty years from now?â€

One might answer, “I get a college education for free.†Oh, really! That’s probably the first reality the athlete needs to confront. “It’s not impossible but the odds are definitely against your getting a college education.â€

Think of it in terms of a football player, but the same analysis is valid for the other sports. When the football player is offered an athletic scholarship, the college does not guarantee him an education. They probably aren’t interested in educating him. More often than not, the player will never really be a student at the school. He will simply be an athlete maintained on campus for the purpose of playing football.

And as part of the “system†everyone will pretend that he is working on a Batchelor of Arts degree. As part of the pretense he will have to be on the enrollment sheets for classes in such things as history, English and business. He will have to go through the motions of sitting in those classes and taking tests and maybe even occasionally turning in papers, not necessarily written by him. Usually the player has no interest and no aptitude for any of those subjects, and no useful purpose is served by his taking them. And no one cares if the player learns nothing from the experience.

The actual commitment the college makes to the player is to train him athletically and develop his talent to the maximum extent possible. To make him the best football player he can be. And he can count on the college to fulfill that commitment. Schools that provide athletic scholarships, especially the “big boys,†have superb facilities. Large staffs to provide all the specialized training and individual attention needed. State of the art equipment. The finest material. Beautiful stadiums. Enthusiastic fan support. Exposure on national TV and in bowl games. Highly trained and skilled teammates to support him. Highly trained and skilled opponents to challenge him. Oh yes, the player who gets an athletic scholarship will have his talent trained and developed to the max. Count on it.

And that’s the key. That’s what it’s all about. The player is not there to learn history, English or business. He is there to be trained for a specific profession. The profession of professional football. And that is certainly a very desirable profession. For those who make it, the rewards, the prestige, the money is enormous. Lifetime success is well within reach and the athletic scholarship which made it possible was definitely worth it. For those who make it.

Unfortunately most won’t make it. The colleges turn out thousands of people each year who are trained for a profession that only has openings for a few dozen newcomers. For all the rest there are no job openings.

So for the player who doesn’t make it, how then does the athletic scholarship make his life better ten or thirty or forty years later? Yes, there is an opportunity to really be a student and really get an education, and the college and its athletic department will certainly not try to prevent the player from getting that education. And if he does, and if he leaves with a diploma, he can parlay that into a respectable career with comfortable salary and benefits. For such a player the scholarship was clearly worth it, even if it didn’t lead to the NFL.

But this is not the common outcome, which is why the high school athlete needs to have someone point out the realities to him, and help him work out a “game plan†that fits him as to exactly how he is going to make the athletic scholarship work to benefit him. And it would be well to note that the athletes who use a scholarship to master the challenges of college work and really get a college education, tend to be the people who had little or no trouble making good grades in the less challenging world of high school classes. The high school player who has to sit out several weeks due to a “no pass, no play†situation, and who complains that this might cost him an athletic scholarship, probably doesn’t have any kind of “game plan†at all.

Those years immediately after high school are so very important to all the future life of an individual. It's a time for making choices about what kind of career to pursue, about where to live and how to live. At the time the horizons can seem unlimited, but later on this will no longer be the case. Later on the person may well be stuck in a kind of life dictated by the choices made way back when.

Those years are not something to be squandered. Once gone they never come back. Not something to thrown away on a dead end street.

So is an athletic scholarship worth having? It can be. But it’s not a sure thing. Depends on the individual, and how well he plans.

I probably should have hit the back button as you suggested but curiosity caused me to continue.  You are correct that education should be the primary focus of an academic institution.  Where I think you and other "academians" miss the boat is you don't understand what makes up a true education.  Go through this simple exercise to clarify my point.  First, think of the most successful person you know.  Second, make a list of all the qualities this person possesses which make this person great in your opinion.  Third, ask yourself if each of these qualities are innate or learned qualities.  If you are like most, you will determine most of the qualities you listed are things which can be taught and therefore developed in individuals.  Now ask where these things are taught.  I believe athletics, whether it be junior high, high school, or college, are the greatest classroom for learning these qualities.  Most of us probably realize we did not learn competitiveness, determination, self-discipline, or leadership skills from our English class regardless if it was by reading Beowolf in high school or early American Literature in college.  Where then, do we learn these qualities which most believe are the most important indicators of success?  I would argue these are the things taught by the teammates, coaches, and other relationships you seem to degrade in your dissertation. 

Check the history of current President George W. Bush, GOP candidate John McCain, and President elect Barrack Obama.  You will see they all felt athletics were important enough to compete and sacrifice time which could have been devoted to academics.  According to the NCAA, 2001-2002 graduation rates for non-athletes were 62% versus 64% for student athletes.  You are probably correct in assuming a student who continually falls victim to "No Pass No Play" will probably not make it in college.  However, very few of the thousands of students who qualify for athletic scholarships ever fall victim to "No Pass No Play".  That is the reality not an assumption made by someone who really does not know.

Based on your argument, you should be able to substitute students who receive pell grants and other financial aid for recipients of athletic scholarships.  These students also may not be able to make it in college.  I think they deserve the opportunity just as a student athlete deserves the opportunity which is afforded him or her due to his athletic prowess.  I believe your assessment of college athletes is based on perception and ignorance which could be overcome with a little research and an open mind on your part.

Guest tigersvoice

I probably should have hit the back button as you suggested but curiosity caused me to continue.  You are correct that education should be the primary focus of an academic institution.  Where I think you and other "academians" miss the boat is you don't understand what makes up a true education.  Go through this simple exercise to clarify my point.  First, think of the most successful person you know.  Second, make a list of all the qualities this person possesses which make this person great in your opinion.  Third, ask yourself if each of these qualities are innate or learned qualities.  If you are like most, you will determine most of the qualities you listed are things which can be taught and therefore developed in individuals.  Now ask where these things are taught.  I believe athletics, whether it be junior high, high school, or college, are the greatest classroom for learning these qualities.  Most of us probably realize we did not learn competitiveness, determination, self-discipline, or leadership skills from our English class regardless if it was by reading Beowolf in high school or early American Literature in college.  Where then, do we learn these qualities which most believe are the most important indicators of success?  I would argue these are the things taught by the teammates, coaches, and other relationships you seem to degrade in your dissertation. 

Check the history of current President George W. Bush, GOP candidate John McCain, and President elect Barrack Obama.  You will see they all felt athletics were important enough to compete and sacrifice time which could have been devoted to academics.  According to the NCAA, 2001-2002 graduation rates for non-athletes were 62% versus 64% for student athletes.  You are probably correct in assuming a student who continually falls victim to "No Pass No Play" will probably not make it in college.  However, very few of the thousands of students who qualify for athletic scholarships ever fall victim to "No Pass No Play".  That is the reality not an assumption made by someone who really does not know.

Based on your argument, you should be able to substitute students who receive pell grants and other financial aid for recipients of athletic scholarships.  These students also may not be able to make it in college.  I think they deserve the opportunity just as a student athlete deserves the opportunity which is afforded him or her due to his athletic prowess.  I believe your assessment of college athletes is based on perception and ignorance which could be overcome with a little research and an open mind on your part.

Wow!!  A good post in my opinion.  Well organized and laid out.  Sounds like you have a Masters Degree.  Did you apply at PN-G? ::)

Check the history of current President George W. Bush, GOP candidate John McCain, and President elect Barrack Obama.  You will see they all felt athletics were important enough to compete and sacrifice time which could have been devoted to academics.  According to the NCAA, 2001-2002 graduation rates for non-athletes were 62% versus 64% for student athletes.  You are probably correct in assuming a student who continually falls victim to "No Pass No Play" will probably not make it in college.  However, very few of the thousands of students who qualify for athletic scholarships ever fall victim to "No Pass No Play".   That is the reality not an assumption made by someone who really does not know.

My question is:  Do most of these scholarship athletes major in hardcore college programs (the sciences/math/engineering/economics/finance/law/pre-med) or do most major in Communications/kineseology/basket-weaving just for the sake of taking relatively easy to pass courses to maintain their grades AND their scholarships??  The reason I bring this up is because alot of the interviews I see with college athletes...well, it makes me wonder..  Many have a hard time with sentence structure, grammar, vocabulary.  Many consistently use expressions such as "well-uuh", "know what I mean",  "Ya know".  Not the type of individuals I would expect seeing heading a Fortune 500 Company, performing surgery or involved in aerospace engineering.

Wow!!  A good post in my opinion.  Well organized and laid out.  Sounds like you have a Masters Degree.  Did you apply at PN-G? ::)

But can he run/run/pass/punt ??  ::)

Guest tigersvoice

Check the history of current President George W. Bush, GOP candidate John McCain, and President elect Barrack Obama.  You will see they all felt athletics were important enough to compete and sacrifice time which could have been devoted to academics.  According to the NCAA, 2001-2002 graduation rates for non-athletes were 62% versus 64% for student athletes.  You are probably correct in assuming a student who continually falls victim to "No Pass No Play" will probably not make it in college.  However, very few of the thousands of students who qualify for athletic scholarships ever fall victim to "No Pass No Play".   That is the reality not an assumption made by someone who really does not know.

My question is:  Do most of these scholarship athletes major in hardcore college programs (the sciences/math/engineering/economics/finance/law/pre-med) or do most major in Communications/kineseology/basket-weaving just for the sake of taking relatively easy to pass courses to maintain their grades AND their scholarships??  The reason I bring this up is because alot of the interviews I see with college athletes...well, it makes me wonder..  Many have a hard time with sentence structure, grammar, vocabulary.  Many consistently use expressions such as "well-uuh", "know what I mean",  "Ya know".  Not the type of individuals I would expect seeing heading a Fortune 500 Company, performing surgery or involved in aerospace engineering.

Speaking of which, did you catch Caroline Kennedy's recent interview?

Speaking of which, did you catch Caroline Kennedy's recent interview?

LOL  Don't get me started tiger..LOL..but yeaH I sure did...she has finally "mastered"  ( or something like that!!!) the English language.. 

I find it ironic that she decides to stop using her married name and hangs on to the kennedy coat tails for political gains.  Poor thing must have a death wish.

And it wouldn't hurt if she was a little easier on the eyes !!!!

This is the hidden content, please

M

This is a ridiculous article.  Half the kids on football scholarship would not be able to attend college without it.  So in this person's opinion, they should turn it down?!  They major in kinesiology because a lot of them want to get into coaching, and are obviously more intersted in that field than engineering.  Whoever wrote that article sounds jealous of athletes because they were picked last in pe in jr high.

This is a ridiculous article.  Half the kids on football scholarship would not be able to attend college without it.  So in this person's opinion, they should turn it down?!  They major in kinesiology because a lot of them want to get into coaching, and are obviously more intersted in that field than engineering.  Whoever wrote that article sounds jealous of athletes because they were picked last in pe in jr high.

Me ???

LOL I didn't say anything about turning it down.  Heck...I'd probably do the same thing  ::)  But what I'm talking about is getting a sound education. Do you really think these colleges actually care whether a scholarship kid does well academically (other than for the purpose of being able to play a sport).  Look at how much trouble many of them get into with drugs/booze/guns/crime.  They get it put into their heads that because they play sports they are above others and above the law.  FSU (Felony/Florida State U) is a perfect example.  The classroom education is the last thing on their minds I suspect.  And I still think some major in Kinesiology, not because they want to coach, but because it's a heck of alot easier than engineering.  And we all know that college professors/counselors NEVER, EVER alter students grades, on "suggestion"  from their coaches,  to ensure that they make at least the minimum passing grade for eligibility.  ::)   But this is just my opinion.

...and BTW, even though I' was never very athletic, I  didn't get picked last all the time in PE class.  (I think the coaches just felt sorry for me and the fact that my grandma made them homemade cookies didn;t hurt either).    Sometimes  Dinky Clayton got picked last...well,  when he wasn't stoned or in jail.   ;D ;D

Every football program works hard to make sure the students go to class and get their education.  If you think otherwise you are greatly mistaken.  There are some who get into trouble, don't graduate, etc.  But I guarantee you there are less of them getting into to trouble than regular students, its just athletes' arrest are national news, and joe blow the accounting major gets a DUI or mip, nobody cares.  Being a former college athlete, I take that stuff personal.  i know you weren't saying all athletes, but to say football players are not getting a good education is not right.  I guess I should have said you were "misinformed."  There are plenty of people with academic scholarships who flunk out of school from partying to much.  Do we need an article about them? To single athletes out athletes irritates me.

You can't really lump all people together in this or in anything else for that matter...everybody is different and handles themselves differently.

Your statement above says to "Now ask where these things were taught?" --- Competitiveness, determination, leadership skills (and I'll add selfworth) are virtues that should be instilled and not taught at an age way before high school football.  Athletics does not "teach" any of these things...it reveals your character as to if you have these qualities within you or not.  These qualities are honed through your experiences with teamates, coaches and athletics.

Step four, ask yourself whether the person you're thinking about already had some of these qualities instilled in their life before high school athletics brought them to the forefront?

Every football program works hard to make sure the students go to class and get their education.  If you think otherwise you are greatly mistaken.  There are some who get into trouble, don't graduate, etc.  But I guarantee you there are less of them getting into to trouble than regular students, its just athletes' arrest are national news, and joe blow the accounting major gets a DUI or mip, nobody cares.  Being a former college athlete, I take that stuff personal.  i know you weren't saying all athletes, but to say football players are not getting a good education is not right.  I guess I should have said you were "misinformed."  There are plenty of people with academic scholarships who flunk out of school from partying to much.  Do we need an article about them? To single athletes out athletes irritates me.

No offense intended Bubba...( I see you just started posting on setxsports...just a friendly bit of info...don't take stuff on here personal..it'll drive ya crazy) I guess you're right though in saying that the athletes are the ones that make the news and not the accounting major0.

btw...what did you major in?

Heck I flunked out for partying too much and I wasn't even on scholarship  ;D

i know several ppl with scholarships, and all of them are getting there education.

i think you may be wrong saying most ppl do not care about their education.

i can almost guarntee you, to ppl who know there is no future in professional sports WILL get their education.

now ppl like tim tebow, crabtree, etc..

who cares if they get a degree.

they'll sign on the dotted line for millions.

and they know it.

i know several ppl with scholarships, and all of them are getting there education.

i can almost guarntee you, to ppl who know there is no future in professional sports WILL get their education.

and they know it.

Back in the 1970s when I was at Lamar, there were so many of the guys on scholarship that you knew were never going to get a degree.

I remember seeing football and Men's basketball players in classes the first few days, and then afterwards, you never saw them. ( Except a few)...Baseball, track, women's athletes were always in class. Heck, women athletes were generally at the top of the class. They seemed to work harder because they were there on scholarship.

In the 76-78 time frame I took a Renaissance and Reformation History class from Dr Bill MacDonald. It started with a number of football and baseball players. All of the football players wound up dropping the class. All of the baseball players finished the course.

and they know it.

Back in the 1970s when I was at Lamar, there were so many of the guys on scholarship that you knew were never going to get a degree.

I remember seeing football and Men's basketball players in classes the first few days, and then afterwards, you never saw them. ( Except a few)...Baseball, track, women's athletes were always in class. Heck, women athletes were generally at the top of the class. They seemed to work harder because they were there on scholarship.

well you figure with all that extra time outta class.. we wlda been better ?  ;D

and they know it.

In the 76-78 time frame I took a Renaissance and Reformation History class from Dr Bill MacDonald. It started with a number of football and baseball players. All of the football players wound up dropping the class. All of the baseball players finished the course.

So then it's probably just coincidence heh?  ::)   Why does it seem to effect football and basketball guys more than other sports??

and they know it.

So then it's probably just coincidence heh?  ::)   Why does it seem to effect football guys more than other??

I just went into the back and got my transcript. The class was offered in the Spring. So, you would think it would be the baseball players that didn't have the time? But other than a couple of times, they were in class. I do remember the baseball players going by after class to tell Dr. MacDonald they had an out of town game and would be missing the next class.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin