STJFL Weight Limits

Guest jackbquick

Hope no one will ask for restrictions on height..cause then that will be a problem for my son...we really need to be careful about what we want with these weight restrictions....more rules....more problems....especially for the US...and US know who US is....lol ;) ;) ;)

Sorry to say this but some kids are unstoppable...not bragging or boasting...but it is true....these are kids and they are going to grow and gain weight...some more than others...

Just curious, who is the US, or am I not supposed to know. So I guess what you're saying is some kids don't even need their teammates because they can do everything on their own...  come on, not bragging or boasting, sure sounds like it to me.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my previous post I did not mean to imply we should cap Junior and leave Pee Wee and Seniors where they were... Obviously they would fall under a max weight as well.

Hope no one will ask for restrictions on height..cause then that will be a problem for my son...we really need to be careful about what we want with these weight restrictions....more rules....more problems....especially for the US...and US know who US is....lol ;) ;) ;)

Sorry to say this but some kids are unstoppable...not bragging or boasting...but it is true....these are kids and they are going to grow and gain weight...some more than others...

This thread was started as a method to balance weight for kids moving up through the divisions... As a coach I noticed that since we brought on the Pee Wee division we may have the weights wrong. I can see some kids getting caught not being able to play certain positions as they progress. My comments are not designed to tip scales from one league or take away advantages. The fact that some kids develop better or faster has no bearing on this discussion unless by development you mean they gain over 10 pounds in a 3 month period. But if that is the case it should certainly be able to be challenged.

The only way a player could gain that much weight is if they lost (or sweated) 7-8 lbs before certification and then gained it back plus another 7-8 lbs of regular weight. If that does happen (and I have heard by some that it does) then this plan would put a stop to that practice. Because Like BigD, I have seen kids running the ball that I know are over LO limit as well as the max weight limit for the division. Lets face it... In the Junior division there have been kids carrying the ball that weighed more than 125 lbs.

You may be right Player66... The local boards or STJFL may not listen to their coaches or give any credence to their opinions, but it is worth talking about and giving the opinion anyway.

BIGWORM and QueenB are the only 2 people I have seen on this topic that have brought up the issue of hieght. They are obviously very proud and confident of thier sons size and skill level. Maybe these kids should step up to the senior level, or should have already been there. I believe BIGWORM was the one that said "some kids are unstoppable". It sounds to me like your kids are not getting the adequate challenge that their superior size and skill level deserves, or maybe you don't think they could compete with kids thier own size.

Fair can be defined as the equal enforcement of the established rules.

ie... draft procedures, expansion draft procedures, contraction draft procedures, registration procedures, weight limits, sportmanship, and others...

STJFL has many rules that are for the kids. Some make sense, some don't. The weight limits and changes to them are looked at every year by the STJFL Board. In general thay do a good job in deciding what is the best for all.

There are some rules they have that do not make any sense at all. Like 12 year olds may only play if they are not in the seventh grade. A 12 year old is twelve whether he is in the sixth, seventh, fifth, or eighth grade. Maybe STJFL should modify their rule to allow all 12 year olds to play unless they are playing 7th grade football? ???

What about the older/lighter rule. This does not make any sense.

I would love to see STJFL send more representative to the league registrations, drafts, and do more enforcement of the rules.

After Hurricane Rita, teams that couldn't be fielded were allowed to contract; however, although they finished playing the season, all games were forfieted and they did not make the playoffs. this was not done after Ike. Is this fair to the other teams that remained whole.  ??? ??? ???

In defense of Big Worm, her son would have done just fine on Senior Level, probably dominant.  But the fact still remains that he played with his age group, and he was the correct weight.  Who cares if he's taller and faster than most of the kids, their still was no violation of any rule.  I too coached against him, and I'm not complaining.  I understand that everyone wants an even playing field, but realistically some kids are natural studs, and some kids are better coached.  The teams with studs or the teams who have competitive coaches who put in the work to have their teams prepared are not worried about no size or height advantage.  They just plan accordingly.  It seems to me that the teams who are not as successful are always looking for an easy way out, or always looking for a way to make it more even to give themselves a chance, instead of putting in the time and effort to better prepare their teams.  I have seen people do a lot with less, it is all about how you prepare and how hard you work.  What's Next?  Before too long, someone will suggest that if you run under a certain time in the 40, then you have to move up with kids that are more your speed to make the playing field more even.  This is ridiculous.  Should a stud pitcher have to play up in baseball if he throws too hard, or if he's a certain weight or height?  You know a really big and tall kid can be just as intimidating standing on the mound, or god forbid their is a collision at the plate between him and a smaller kid.  I think that would do more damage than a football hit would anyday.  Do we have the same safety concerns there?  Let it go!!!!

"BIGWORM and QueenB are the only 2 people I have seen on this topic that have brought up the issue of hieght. They are obviously very proud and confident of thier sons size and skill level. Maybe these kids should step up to the senior level, or should have already been there. I believe BIGWORM was the one that said "some kids are unstoppable". It sounds to me like your kids are not getting the adequate challenge that their superior size and skill level deserves, or maybe you don't think they could compete with kids thier own size."

I NEVER, NOT ONCE said that my son was not challenged, I never called him superior, and I never said that he could not compete with kids his own size; therefore, don't put words in my mouth and make my posts mean something that it does not.  Believe me, if I wanted to say those things, I would have and would not need someone else to say it.

For those who are on this board who are intelligent, then you also realize that HEIGHT does make a difference in weight.  

In future, if someone, anyone does not understand what I am saying, do me a favor and don't interpret it to mean something that is 100% wrong - just ask me.  Trust me, I have NO problem telling you exactly what I think.

In defense of Big Worm, her son would have done just fine on Senior Level, probably dominant. But the fact still remains that he played with his age group, and he was the correct weight.  Who cares if he's taller and faster than most of the kids, their still was no violation of any rule.  I too coached against him, and I'm not complaining.  I understand that everyone wants an even playing field, but realistically some kids are natural studs, and some kids are better coached. The teams with studs or the teams who have competitive coaches who put in the work to have their teams prepared are not worried about no size or height advantage. They just plan accordingly.  It seems to me that the teams who are not as successful are always looking for an easy way out, or always looking for a way to make it more even to give themselves a chance, instead of putting in the time and effort to better prepare their teams.  I have seen people do a lot with less, it is all about how you prepare and how hard you work. What's Next? Before too long, someone will suggest that if you run under a certain time in the 40, then you have to move up with kids that are more your speed to make the playing field more even. This is ridiculous. Should a stud pitcher have to play up in baseball if he throws too hard, or if he's a certain weight or height? You know a really big and tall kid can be just as intimidating standing on the mound, or god forbid their is a collision at the plate between him and a smaller kid.  I think that would do more damage than a football hit would anyday. Do we have the same safety concerns there?  Let it go!!!!

Why does this discussion keep going back to WOS or more specifically BigWorms kid? The original suggestion would actually help him and kids like him stay as a back because it increases the weight limits. Now the discussion is starting to be about a coach being competitive? There are weight rules already established and nobody is suggesting that weight be used as a tool to win. BigD the rules are there to keep everything safe and fair and I believe the STJFL does a good job in maintaining that focus.

Why is WOS so defensive in this topic? No one has made any accusations toward anybody these were only suggestions that ironically would help in the areas WOS is against... There is no reason to get defensive on this thread unless you already know the rules are being broken and you don't wanna get caught. By the way you are acting, maybe bulldogbacker is right and there needs to be more officials at the certifications or at least somebody planted at the scales.

As long as a player doesn't go over 115 pound mark throughout the year there would be no problem. I can't understand why it would be a problem to give an opposing coach a chance to challenge a player's weight.

If you don't know who US is then you don't need to know...like I said and I'll say it again...I don't have to brag or boast about my son because his talent speak from himself....I don't have to say that he didn't need his team because he did...people get on here and talk about there kids all the time or pretend to be somone else talking about there kid when it's really them....and I never came on here once during the season and said one thing about my son...but the season is over and now I will...and yes he did carry his team in several games however, it took the team to get the win...but when you got 8 to 9 out of the 11 kids from the opposing team taking down one kid....come on now....but it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about your kid or my kid...because my kid leaves it all on the field....

Don't worry my kid was right were he was suppose to be for his age and his weight.  My kid was the right age and weighed 97 lbs at the weigh in and he still weighs that maybe 98 lbs now.  Just because you think a kid look big doesn't mean they are out of compliance with the rules.  However, mentally he was not ready and I know what was best for my kid.  It was about his size...and he will move up next year which is where he is suppose to be for next year....I can say whatever I want to say just like you can say whatever you want to say....and he was challenged in several of the games he played this year...and you know what...I think I will admit to bragging and boasting cause its my kid and I am very proud of him and his team's accomplishments this year...if you don't think highly of yourself or your kids...trust no one else will....so

In defense of Big Worm, her son would have done just fine on Senior Level, probably dominant. But the fact still remains that he played with his age group, and he was the correct weight.  Who cares if he's taller and faster than most of the kids, their still was no violation of any rule.  I too coached against him, and I'm not complaining.  I understand that everyone wants an even playing field, but realistically some kids are natural studs, and some kids are better coached. The teams with studs or the teams who have competitive coaches who put in the work to have their teams prepared are not worried about no size or height advantage. They just plan accordingly.  It seems to me that the teams who are not as successful are always looking for an easy way out, or always looking for a way to make it more even to give themselves a chance, instead of putting in the time and effort to better prepare their teams.  I have seen people do a lot with less, it is all about how you prepare and how hard you work. What's Next? Before too long, someone will suggest that if you run under a certain time in the 40, then you have to move up with kids that are more your speed to make the playing field more even. This is ridiculous. Should a stud pitcher have to play up in baseball if he throws too hard, or if he's a certain weight or height? You know a really big and tall kid can be just as intimidating standing on the mound, or god forbid their is a collision at the plate between him and a smaller kid.  I think that would do more damage than a football hit would anyday. Do we have the same safety concerns there?  Let it go!!!!

Why does this discussion keep going back to WOS or more specifically BigWorms kid? The original suggestion would actually help him and kids like him stay as a back because it increases the weight limits. Now the discussion is starting to be about a coach being competitive? There are weight rules already established and nobody is suggesting that weight be used as a tool to win. BigD the rules are there to keep everything safe and fair and I believe the STJFL does a good job in maintaining that focus.

Why is WOS so defensive in this topic? No one has made any accusations toward anybody these were only suggestions that ironically would help in the areas WOS is against... There is no reason to get defensive on this thread unless you already know the rules are being broken and you don't wanna get caught. By the way you are acting, maybe bulldogbacker is right and there needs to be more officials at the certifications or at least somebody planted at the scales.

As long as a player doesn't go over 115 pound mark throughout the year there would be no problem. I can't understand why it would be a problem to give an opposing coach a chance to challenge a player's weight.

You obviously know nothing about BigD. He does nothing but play by the rules. Whatever they are. He will out work and out prepare most coaches in the STJFL. Your sneaky little accusation didn't go unnoticed. This is the kind of crap that give yall a bad name. WOS blue and white beat Lumberton fair and square, get over it and do a better job as a coach.

"There is no reason to get defensive on this thread unless you already know the rules are being broken and you don't wanna get caught."

I got defensive becuase I felt that my son WAS attacked because of my belief that HEIGHT needs to be taken into consideration when WEIGHT is being calculated.  That is all.

And just to clarify something, for those out there who feels that WOS cheats, there were no rules broken with the WOS Junior Blue team. As a matter of fact, one child DID NOT make the weight and was given other options - he chose not to play.  All of our players were CERTIFIED by the board members (or whoever was at the ORangefield school that day) as being within the weight limit.  Were there a few who was close to it?  Sure was -- my son included -- but he made it -- and he lost weight during the season -- and he gained muscle -- which added the "weight" back.

How do I know what everyone weighed?  How do I know everyones birthdate?  I made a point to make sure that all of the proper paperwork was in order and every T crossed and every I dotted -- right along with Coach Rod doing the same thing.

To (in my opinion) attack my child just because of a suggestion that I made is beyond disgusting.  I have never gotten on here and attacked anyone unless I was defending myself or my child; and I have NEVER attacked a child and I would not even think about it.

This was TeamRaiders thread and the subject was "STJFL Weight Limits" not "make excuses for your kids" or "put words into peoples mouths" (one for you QueenB)......  Teamraider was not attacking anyone as far as I can see.  I see his point, why is everyone so defensive? This discussion took off in a completely different direction than it was intended.  Why cant both sides discuss something without turning it in to an argument??  Now, lets see how many insults I receive after stating the obvious!

My 11 year old is 6' 2" tall and weighs 220 lbs. Which league is he eligible for? He had to sit out this year and listen to his friends talk about how much fun they had. Just be glad your kid wasn't excluded. Let them have the fun while they can.

Amen

You are right chippy.  Now, in response to an earlier statement about WOS being so defensive.  It's not that, it's just that we are tired of the excuses.  These rules are not for us, because we have success no matter what the rules are, but instead these rules are put in place to give other teams a chance to have some of the success that WOS and others have year after year.  Coincidently, all of the whiners on here represent the same teams.  Let's face it everyone's child can not be and will not be a stud, no matter how you try to shape up the rules and make them in one's favor.  Some people need to come to reality that Little Junior is who he is.  Once again this is off the topic, but I know what the real agenda is, and why some people are more passionate about it than others are.  I repeat, "Line up and Play Football", and leave all of the technicalities out of it.  Just good old fashioned football.  These kids play together at school and in the neighborhoods, but not on saturdays.  I support the age breakdown, but to me weight doesn't matter.  No one on this board can change my stance on that.    

My 11 year old is 6' 2" tall and weighs 220 lbs. Which league is he eligible for? He had to sit out this year and listen to his friends talk about how much fun they had. Just be glad your kid wasn't excluded. Let them have the fun while they can.

THAT is exactly what I"m talking about when I say that someone's HEIGHT needs to be taken into consideration when WEIGHT is being calculated.  I"m so glad you posted that -- it proves that what I am saying makes sense.  Thank you!

You are right chippy.  Now, in response to an earlier statement about WOS being so defensive. It's not that, it's just that we are tired of the excuses.  These rules are not for us, because we have success no matter what the rules are, but instead these rules are put in place to give other teams a chance to have some of the success that WOS and others have year after year.  Coincidently, all of the whiners on here represent the same teams.  Let's face it everyone's child can not be and will not be a stud, no matter how you try to shape up the rules and make them in one's favor.  Some people need to come to reality that Little Junior is who he is.  Once again this is off the topic, but I know what the real agenda is, and why some people are more passionate about it than others are.  I repeat, "Line up and Play Football", and leave all of the technicalities out of it.  Just good old fashioned football.  These kids play together at school and in the neighborhoods, but not on saturdays.  I support the age breakdown, but to me weight doesn't matter.  No one on this board can change my stance on that.    

We must be reading something completely different and I may need to look up what "rules" mean. I thought rules were meant for everyone, not just select teams. This thread was supposed to be a discussion (not argument) about tweaking the requirements to be more fair. No one in this forum can change the rules without a vote.  Its just a discussion. At the end of the day, weather you like it or not, the rules may be changed as majority will rule. As for excuses, I've heard a few, but that came from the fans, not coaches.  I'm from Lumberton and I've given no excuses. My son played on peewee red and WO-S dominated! You guys have some good kids and coaches. If we could of tackled your kids, we might have won!

When I stated that the rules are not for us, I was meaning the size advantages, and LO rules.  The heart and sole of our teams is speed, speed, and more speed.  We pattern our selves after our varsity teams, and make sure that we are in the best shape and everyone is flying to the ball.  Having a big, slow, bruising back is not our style, but more power to the teams that use that style, you will never hear me complain about that.  We try to capture the edge and running lanes, not 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  From Peewee to Varsity, we all run the spread offense or some form of it.  That is all I am saying, our style would not allow us to take advantage of having a 110 lb RB, unless of course he can fly. LOL.  Look at WOS over the years, this is our style, it works out most of the time, but it can be stopped if a coach has the wits and the personnel to stop it.  This message is for chippy only, I was just explaining to him why I said that those rules are not for us, and also for whoever insinuated that we would manipulate the rule to cheat.  We have stopped big boys, and we have stopped small one.  We have also failed to stop a few, it is all in the game.  We play our style of football win or lose, but we never make excuses in the end.  Age is the only thing that matters.  Let's face it, look at most teams in this league, the most aggressive players out there were not even the bigger ones.  Let the kids play.  An 85 lb kid can do just as much damage as a 110 lb kid could, if he is more aggressive.  Weight, Size, Height are just excuses, and everyone of them can be counterpunched with speed, technique, quickness, agility, and more.  I just don't understand why people make such a big deal out of weight.  Oh yeah Safety, give me a break.

When I stated that the rules are not for us, I was meaning the size advantages, and LO rules.  The heart and sole of our teams is speed, speed, and more speed.  We pattern our selves after our varsity teams, and make sure that we are in the best shape and everyone is flying to the ball.  Having a big, slow, bruising back is not our style, but more power to the teams that use that style, you will never hear me complain about that.  We try to capture the edge and running lanes, not 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  From Peewee to Varsity, we all run the spread offense or some form of it.  That is all I am saying, our style would not allow us to take advantage of having a 110 lb RB, unless of course he can fly. LOL.  Look at WOS over the years, this is our style, it works out most of the time, but it can be stopped if a coach has the wits and the personnel to stop it.  This message is for chippy only, I was just explaining to him why I said that those rules are not for us, and also for whoever insinuated that we would manipulate the rule to cheat.  We have stopped big boys, and we have stopped small one.  We have also failed to stop a few, it is all in the game.  We play our style of football win or lose, but we never make excuses in the end.  Age is the only thing that matters.  Let's face it, look at most teams in this league, the most aggressive players out there were not even the bigger ones.  Let the kids play.  An 85 lb kid can do just as much damage as a 110 lb kid could, if he is more aggressive.  Weight, Size, Height are just excuses, and everyone of them can be counterpunched with speed, technique, quickness, agility, and more.  I just don't understand why people make such a big deal out of weight.  Oh yeah Safety, give me a break.

Fair enough BigD, I agree with some of what you said. My son consistently could block and get through kids weighing almost 30 pounds more. He's a tough one.  At the same time, I'm not sure I would want 30 additional pounds hitting him like I see some of the hard hitters do.  I would like my son to at least reach age 9 before be needs physical therapy.  ;D 

BigD, I also agree that size is not always an issue b/c my son was the hardest hitting kid on our Pee Wee team and he only weighs 67 pounds at 8 years old.  Now next year when he moves up to juniors I think I have to side with tragichippy in that I'm not sure I would want a kid who weighs 110 pounds (and looks like he drove to the game in his new car) but he weighed 99.8 pounds at weigh in 3 months ago hitting my son.  Is that going to be an excuse for him not to get out there and take his knees or feet out because he is a whole helmet and a half taller than my boy?  Absolutely not but I think the point of this thread was that certain weight caps should be looked at and some rules could use a little tweaking in the interest of safety for the kids. Now as to what is the best way to do that, I'm not sure but I am pretty sure that when teamraider started this thread he was honestly trying to get some opinions from the forum, not attack West Orange Stark.

I have only one last question and I hope someone has a good answer to this one and hopefully I will not post anything else...if I can help it....

WHAT ARE THE WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS IN HIGH SCHOOL????????  ANYONE?????  I'm just curious....

BigD, I also agree that size is not always an issue b/c my son was the hardest hitting kid on our Pee Wee team and he only weighs 67 pounds at 8 years old.  Now next year when he moves up to juniors I think I have to side with tragichippy in that I'm not sure I would want a kid who weighs 110 pounds (and looks like he drove to the game in his new car) but he weighed 99.8 pounds at weigh in 3 months ago hitting my son.  Is that going to be an excuse for him not to get out there and take his knees or feet out because he is a whole helmet and a half taller than my boy?  Absolutely not but I think the point of this thread was that certain weight caps should be looked at and some rules could use a little tweaking in the interest of safety for the kids. Now as to what is the best way to do that, I'm not sure but I am pretty sure that when teamraider started this thread he was honestly trying to get some opinions from the forum, not attack West Orange Stark.

Fair enough BigD, I agree with some of what you said. My son consistently could block and get through kids weighing almost 30 pounds more. He's a tough one.  At the same time, I'm not sure I would want 30 additional pounds hitting him like I see some of the hard hitters do.  I would like my son to at least reach age 9 before be needs physical therapy.  ;D 

WHAT ARE THE WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS IN HIGH SCHOOL????????  ANYONE?????  I'm just curious....

There are no weight restrictions in High School football.  Your right.  You see Bigworm, there are rules and guidelines in every sport.  They are for the well being of all players. To compare peewee to high school football is a stretch, a big stretch.  Think about it.  By the time they are in high school they are better prepared to take a hit and not get hurt.  That's why this is and should be called developmental football. When the kids are older, they are better developed and all this training they are getting at such a young age will be useful WHEN they get to high school. But for now, we should DISCUSS if the weight limits will be tweaked or left alone. I really don't think they are going away!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder