The search is on for new PN-G head coach...Interviews Start In Jan./Feb. 9 Hire

KFDM COOP

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone should show that to the PNG school board. They might get some hints on how to go about attracting a good coach. I don't think they screwed up on purpose or have already picked someone. After all they haven't had to hire a coach in about 20 years. A lot of things have changed in that time. If they hurry they may still have time to find a good coach. The longer they wait to straighten it out, the more good coaches will have all ready found a job.

What's the first question a potential new resident with school age children ask when a move is considered to this area?

What is your school's football record ?

Probably not, more than likely it's how are the test scores of the school district.  So, if PNG board wants to set it's standard higher, I have no problem with it.

I agree about new residents and have no problem with PNG trying to set high acedemic standards. But what does that have to do with a football coach/AD. I don't know of any head coach/AD at this level that teaches anything but football. Is the Masters required just so we can say our coach is smarter than your coach 

Mark my words, they will not be doing another search. The last i heard there were ten applicants, and some were some big names.

Do you know who the applicants are?  You have a reliable source giving you this info?  I haven't heard a word, but would like to know who's applied to date. 

I personally hope that they choose a great coach that can build PNG's system from the middle schools up !  (If anyone applies) Heck even start before that. I have a son who played at Groves Middle School this year (8th) grade. I have to say the coaching there was terrible. There was no involvement from the high school as far as I could tell. GMS has some very good talent and size. My son is 5' 10" and weights 185, wears a size 12 shoe and those are getting to small. He started both ways most of the time. He has alot of friends who played with him and several of these boys are 6' - 6' 2", weighing in around 200 + !!! These kids are huge, not fat but thick ! I know they all seem to want to spend time at the house and eat everything that isn't nailed down ! I know Port Neches is loaded with talent and size as well. Any coach that is hired should really be in a great position to make some noise in the next 4-5 years. I truly believe PNG is on a up swing with talent and size. The JV had a great season and the Freshman team had one as well. We just need a coach who can see that talent and use it in the proper way and play the players who deserve to play and know how to play the game, who can pull the 110% from each and every kid. Not succumb to the pressures of a parent or school official or Board member. Play the players who can get the job done ! A coach who can adjust the offense and defense to the talent of the players. But to build a program to succeed year end and year out you have to start before the boys get into High School. Nederland for example has a rampted up program at both Middle Schools year end and year out, WHY ? because Neuman is involved at their level. PNG to the best of my knowledge isn't. I'm sure that most successful programs around the state have the High School HC and staff involved at the middle school level. This is just one example of what I felt PNG was lacking. I pray that the new HC/AD will be more involved with the boys in the middle schools. Some of you may disagree or agree, but this is just some of what I have observed over the last 10 years.

I agree about new residents and have no problem with PNG trying to set high acedemic standards. But what does that have to do with a football coach/AD. I don't know of any head coach/AD at this level that teaches anything but football. Is the Masters required just so we can say our coach is smarter than your coach  

(Boldface above^^) That would have been my question. The only qualifications a coach needs is to be able to install a system from middle school on up and most importantly, he has to sell the kids and be involved at every level. If the kids aren't buying into it (great coaches can motivate kids to give 110%), it won't be successful no matter what degree a coach possesses.

Good luck to PNG on finding a good coach.

Mark my words, they will not be doing another search. The last i heard there were ten applicants, and some were some big names.

Do you know who the applicants are?  You have a reliable source giving you this info?  I haven't heard a word, but would like to know who's applied to date. 

With such a "Big Time" program as PNG you would think there would be a list of "contacted" applicants.  I mean PNG is just going to wait and see who applies???  I would hope not.  Who has PNG contacted???  I would like to see that list.  That's how the "Big Timers" do it. 

I was told a name a few nights ago. I can't say it until he applies (likely this week). He is a former college player, former college head coach, and is looking to move to the area. And, he has his masters. I don't know if he is the right fit for the job, but it is good to hear people are interested after reports there were zero applicants (which I find hard to believe).

If it is who I think it is, his only season as a HS HC was at the 3A level and was bad. That school ten years later is a back to back 4A state champ and #3 ranked in the nation.

I am sure this guy has never coached High School. He has been at the collegiate level until this past year.

If it is who I think it is, his only season as a HS HC was at the 3A level and was bad. That school ten years later is a back to back 4A state champ and #3 ranked in the nation.

I am sure this guy has never coached High School. He has been at the collegiate level until this past year.

What's he doing now?

What's he doing now?

I am not sure. I did not get into details. It was a brief conversation where a friend asked me if I remembered the guy, I said yes, and he told me he would be applying this week.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder