Your Teams Most Heartbreaking Loss?

Guest Kelly Football

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was in '93 when Nederland played WO-S in a district game. Nederland came back and went ahead with very little time remaining in the game, maybe a minute or so. I don't know if I have ever heard Bulldog Stadium any louder.

WO-S was down to about their last play and about 70 yards away. They threw a long pass for a touchdown with a few seconds on the clock. If I remember correctly, it may have been the only pass they complete the entire game. Nederland lost 33-28 (I think).

It was Nederland's only loss in district that year. The loss itself was not so hard to take as much as the way it happened. With a minute left in the game it looked like we pulled off a huge upset (and would have won the district undefeated), only to be crushed at the end. If it was in '93, it was Larry Neumann's first year as head coach and Nederland did go to the playoffs as the second place team. Maybe some WO-S fans can refresh my memory.

I think it was in '93 when Nederland played WO-S in a district game. Nederland came back and went ahead with very little time remaining in the game' date=' maybe a minute or so. I don't know if I have ever heard Bulldog Stadium any louder.

WO-S was down to about their last play and about 70 yards away. They threw a long pass for a touchdown with a few seconds on the clock. If I remember correctly, it may have been the only pass they complete the entire game. Nederland lost 33-28 (I think).

It was Nederland's only loss in district that year. The loss itself was not so hard to take as much as the way it happened. With a minute left in the game it looked like we pulled off a huge upset (and would have won the district undefeated), only to be crushed at the end. If it was in '93, it was Larry Neumann's first year as head coach and Nederland did go to the playoffs as the second place team. Maybe some WO-S fans can refresh my memory.[/quote']

that game in 1993 was close, but i don't remember it ending on a long wos pass under one minute in the game.

i do remember a game in 1989 in nederland where wos threw a td pass with 40 seconds on the clock to beat the dogs.

i have two the 1988 loss to Paris in the state championship and the loss to Ennis in the 2000 championship game. the stangs have lost games before but there is nothing compared to a loss in the state finals. it's the most helpless feeling in the world, because usually you can say we'll do better next week, but there is no next week. and to go that far in the season and come up just one win short of a state title, it can be overwhelming. but even though there is a chance your team could lose in the title game i would love for my team to have the opportunity to play for the title every year.

I think it was in '93 when Nederland played WO-S in a district game. Nederland came back and went ahead with very little time remaining in the game' date=' maybe a minute or so. I don't know if I have ever heard Bulldog Stadium any louder.

It was Nederland's only loss in district that year. The loss itself was not so hard to take as much as the way it happened. With a minute left in the game it looked like we pulled off a huge upset (and would have won the district undefeated), only to be crushed at the end. If it was in '93, it was Larry Neumann's first year as head coach and Nederland did go to the playoffs as the second place team. Maybe some WO-S fans can refresh my memory.[/quote']

If it is the same game I remember...My senior year 89-90 (Steve Derouen HC) we played WOS at home. If you remember, Chris English, Scott Rainey, Eric Metts, Tim Farris, Steve Lowry, Kevin Stampley, Brian Tarver, Blake Moreau, Chuck Britten (me), Chad Butler and others...this was the group of guys.

WOS was ranked #1 in the state with Chris Ori and group. (PNG that year was a also powerhouse and had Ron McGill and etc that year as well and went to the quarter finals.)

WOS went up on us almost 24 points in the 3rd Qtr then we started the comeback. We went for 3 or 4, 4th down plays for over 20 yards each and made each of them. Unbelievable!

With 1:14 left, we scored with a pass (to me) in the endzone and went up on them 36-35. With 44 seconds left, WOS threw a bomb to Sheldon Smith for 80 yards and beat us. ( they had negative passing yards up to that point all night) We did not run a prevent but a straight 50 defense back then...Later Delbert must have been kicking himself.

It was the loudest I have ever heard Bulldog stadium. Then it was the quietist. Our last home game of the season and Senior night.

Dan Hooks said after the game, that was the best non- state championship game he had ever been in. He hated to see either team lose. WOS players allowed our parents and us to leave the field first...class act on their part.

The next week, PNG was up on WOS and they ran the same play and beat PNG too. Dummies !!!!

Guest ECBucFan

EC led undefeated and #1 Newton 7-6 in the second half (year before last). Newton scored to pull ahead 13-7. EC drove down the field late in the 4th, and got inside their 15, but couldn't quite push it in. INCREDIBLE effort by our Bucs! :D We were close to huge upset.

Ive got 4 Nederland games to me that were dissapointing The two losses we had vs. Jacksonville (97 and 04) and the two losses to Bay City (98 and 00) outside of my own team the 80 Championship Game between TJ and Permian TJ having a 19-7 lead at one point had moved the ball on Permian for 3 quarters only to watch Permian score 3 TD's in 13 minutes ended up losing 28-19 (I might add to this though Permian had a good defense 9 shutouts and still to this day nobody gives them credit for it)

yeah we had the ball on Ozen's 5 yard line and we handed it off to our RB who got whacked and fumbled which gave them the ball instead of kickin a field goal, and they drove all the way down the field and scored with like 5-10 seconds left and then they got the 2-point conversion

1996 Baytown Lee vs. North Shore.

Lee had one of the best defenses in the state that year. Only gave up 87 points in 10 games. We didn't have much offense though, for one of the few times under Olin. Ell Roberson was a soph at the time and we just didnt have much speed at receiver or running back. We ended up 7-3. We lost to Laporte 12-6 and West Brook 18-0 and North Shore. Even had we beaten North Shore, we wouldnt have made the playoffs.

North Shore was an offensive juggernaut this year. They went to the semifinals, losing to Judson. They scored 471 points in 14 games. They had Ced Cormier, Lavar Johnson and Joe Walker as their main threats that year.

Lee shut them down the whole game. North Shore's offense wasn't that complex and Lee was fast enough to contain Cormier. With about 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, Lee was up 7-3 and North Shore couldn't have had more than 100 total yards of offense. Cormier drops back from his own 20 and hits some receiver named Potter streaking down the right sideline. The Lee d-back had misjudged the ball and jumped too early and it went right over his hands. Bout an 80 yard touchdown and North Shore won 10-7.

Like I said, it didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I would have liked to have seen what Lee could do with that defense in the playoffs though. If we could have beaten Laporte like we were supposed to we would have made it regardless.

The other game was 1997. Alief Hastings in the 3rd round of the playoffs. We were up early. We got the ball back, bout to go up 14 about 5 minutes into the game. Ell Roberson throws one of his 4 or 5 interceptions on the day. We end up losing to Hastings 30-20. Hastings went onto the state championship game. The next week Hastings was playing West Brook. Lee beat West Brook 35-12 earlier so that was looking pretty good for us. Lee beat 4A Texas City early in the year 41-18. This was TC's only loss as they won the state championship that year. I felt that was Lee's best chance to really do something in the playoffs. Just picked the wrong day to throw so many interceptions.

Guest Bridge City Card
maybe' date=' but i think missing out on the district title two years in a row the way we did were both pretty dissapointing losses. honorable mention: 38-0 shellacking against Sinton and 1996 i think when we lost to png on the last play of the game to lose the district and miss out on playoffs[/quote'] Yea, those hurt to. :cry:

Okay, let me start by staying I'm a Bulldog fan now. I just haven't always been. I can still replay most of this game in my mind. At least the last two minutes of the game. Anyway, here it goes. 1989/90 LC-M versus Nederland at Bulldog Stadium. As always Nederland had a great crowd on hand. Several plays stand out. One LC-M is down on the 2 or 3 yard line of Nederland. Rusty Brown LC-M's QB appears to fumble the ball and a LB for Ned starts running the other way with the ball. Finally he is ran down from behind by a RB for LC-M(no name mentioned)at about the 30 of the Bears. For some reason, the refs blew the play dead so LC-M got the ball back at the 2 or 3 yard line of Nederland. Next play LC-M scores on pass out in the flat to the RB.

Fast forward to the last two minutes of the game. LC-M is tailing (can't remember the exact score) by less than a TD. LC-M is driving the ball into Nederland territory reaching the thirty of the Bulldogs with about 25 seconds left in the game. The Bears throw a screen pass to the RB who makes a tremendous run breaking about 4 tackles and scores or at least it appears. The refs threw a flag for a linemen down field. Well see, on a screen pass the linemen can go down field to block as long as the receiver catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage. I've watch video of that play at least fifty time and the receiver or (RB) in this case was two yards behind the line of scrimmage. Reason I watched so many times in because my brother is the RB that caught that pass. Anyway, the penalty was called and the coaching staff decides to run the same play to the other side of the field. Well, this time Nederland was ready and someone laid the leather to my brother knocking him out of the game. The last few seconds tick off and LC-M loses a heart-breaker to Nederland.

Next week LC-M played the Mustangs of WO-S. LC-M again runs a screen pass but the ball is over thrown by the QB and the RB crosses the line of scrimmage but catches the ball and scores a TD on what should have been a penalty. Well, WO-S puts a hurting on LC-M by the tune of 42-7. I would have much preferred if the officials got those two calls right. The play vs Nederland and LC-M wins and take the score off the board versus WO-S and LC-M loses 42-0.

Of course my wishes don't matter and history is what it is. LC-M loses both games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder