Joba Chamberlain Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

LINCOLN, Neb. -- New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain apologized for "an error in judgment" on Sunday, the day after he was arrested in Nebraska on suspicion of driving under the influence, speeding and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle.

"I want to apologize to the New York Yankees and the fans for an error in judgment and for putting myself in a difficult situation," Chamberlain said in a statement released by his agent, Randy Hendricks. "I intend to properly resolve this situation, and do not intend to be in such a situation again. My goal is to focus on pitching for the Yankees in the 2009 season."

Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner said the team would give Chamberlain that chance to make good.

"If he needs help, we'll certainly give it to him," Steinbrenner told the New York Daily News.

"It happens," he said. "Everybody deserves a second chance -- or even a third chance. "He's 23 years old. He's just very lucky that nothing more serious happened. We're talking about a really good kid here, and that's what counts."

Nebraska State Patrol spokeswoman Deb Collins said Chamberlain was stopped for speeding early Saturday on U.S. 77 south of his hometown of Lincoln.

Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey will get paperwork on the case Monday and decide what, if any, charges will be filed, Collins said.

Chamberlain was driving a 2006 BMW 750i with Nebraska dealer plates when the Patrol stopped him at about 1 a.m., Collins said. The trooper smelled alcohol in the vehicle and saw an open container of alcohol on the front passenger seat, she said.

Chamberlain was taken to the Cornhusker Place Detox in Lincoln, which Collins said is the normal protocol.

Collins said she didn't know Chamberlain's blood-alcohol content.

A message left for Chamberlain at his family's home in Lincoln was not immediately returned.

Chamberlain, who grew up in Lincoln and starred for the University of Nebraska, was 4-3 with a 2.60 ERA in 42 appearances for the Yankees this year.

After the game we were invited to a special  Irish restaurant/pub in the city and used a specific code at the door since the line was a block long when we got there. I will not go into a lot of details, but we were rushed in and I personally asked Joba Chamberlain was he throwing at Youk in the 7th.

He took a cab home that night, I can vouch for him.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nanoflowcell
    Newest Member
    nanoflowcell