Todays football vs. 1980's

Guest ECBucFan

Absolutly. Today has more speed size and skills, but is somewhat of a finesse game. In the 80's, in my opinion, it was more of a "pound it out" and "hammer them down" game. These basically offset.

80's teams scouted/watched video and game planned just like today. They would have prepared for the spread. Just remember, everything done today has been done before. There may be new twists but pretty much everything has been tried.

So yes, the 80's teams could definitely play today.

A lot of teams are still running the basic packages from the late 60s. I remember a "run n' shoot" being all the rage in the late 80s. Ask those Clements boys from Huntsville or the Detmers in South Texas about the 1980s passing games. Teams prepared and defeated those teams. On the flip side ask Newton if their playbook has really changed in the last 30 years.

The only difference I can see is the size and speed of today's kids. I remember in 1985 during the dominant Chicago Bears superbowl run, Ditka fining and berating William "Fridge" Perry for being over 295. We have high schoolers bigger than that.

One of my friends I work with a has a son who is a soph this year at WB, kid is 6-2/290 and he's not fat pretty agile and should get some playing time this year. Granted they're not all that size but yes overall kids have gotten bigger/stronger/faster than in years past. When I was in high school if you ran a 4.6 you were fast.... now 4.6 is nothing when you have kids who ran 4.2-4.4.

I definitely think some teams from the 80's could compete with todays teams. I think kids today are bigger and faster, but those 80's guys I think could hang. In Orangefield, some of our better teams were in the 80's and there is no doubt that I think they could hang with our teams of recent years.

What do you WOS guys think? Do you think the 85,86,87 teams could compete with last years team? I do. That 87 team may have been the best team to ever come out of this area.

I agree Cat22. What about those early 80 Hebert Panther teams? Talk about team speed I felt like I was not even running. They could FFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D'Ville still lives in the 80's :lol:

It's really hard to compare the 80's with today. Along with the fact that kids are naturally bigger and faster, you have other factors that really didn't play into it as much in the 80's like steroids. Don't kid yourself folks, this is a much bigger problem than people will want to admit. Steroid use is a big thing now with high school kids. Now this is not intended to point fingers at any team in particular, but it is an undeniable factor.

It's really hard to compare the 80's with today. Along with the fact that kids are naturally bigger and faster' date=' you have other factors that really didn't play into it as much in the 80's like steroids. Don't kid yourself folks, this is a much bigger problem than people will want to admit. Steroid use is a big thing now with high school kids. Now this is not intended to point fingers at any team in particular, but it is an undeniable factor.[/quote']

I could point some :wink:

I don't understand the comment that the spread offense can't be adjusted to with game film. I have watched Nederland absolutely shutdown teams who ran the spread offense and it wasn't from going against their JV squad in practice. It was by developing a game plan through studying game film.

I don't understand the comment that the spread offense can't be adjusted to with game film. I have watched Nederland absolutely shutdown teams who ran the spread offense and it wasn't from going against their JV squad in practice. It was by developing a game plan through studying game film.

Yes you can adjust from gamefilm. But Ned had seen, and knew what the spread was. An 80's team, however, had never even heard or seen the spread. Thats what I mean.

I agree Cat22. What about those early 80 Hebert Panther teams? Talk about team speed I felt like I was not even running. They could FFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it seemed like they were flying when we all ran a 40 in 5.0 FLAT !! ::a

Yeah the kids are bigger, faster, stronger that us in some aspects but they're also, softer, more spoiled, and less driven than us. We played outside----whatever season it was, that's what we played. Most of these kids get sore thumbs from xbox......

I could coach a team from the 80's and wishbone/I formation a spead team to death......

I totally agree with your first paragraph and totally disagree with your second. Antiquated offenses will only hold you back.

I'm a golfer and I'm not going to buy a driver that was made in 1985 and try to compete in a long drive contest with it today. Advancements keep everything moving forward, I believe that includes offensive styles.

I agree an 80's team with the wishbone could compete against the spread offense of today. It would all depend on the defense. A good defense combined with a slow grind it out offense I would take any day. You can't score if you don't have the ball. You know the old saying 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 are bad.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• Heading into the summer and before two a days get going… what are some concerns or positives about your team heading into next season? I’d like to hear from some H-F people because according to some they are the district favorites heading into the season. I’m just trying to pass some time at least until we get our DCTF magazines lol For Bellville my concern is filling some holes on defense… specifically at LB,S, and DT… bright spots ? Basically the entire offensive line returns that paved the way for 3 RBs to rush for more than 1600 yards a  on the season (2 of those RBs will return as well). With all that said Bellville should still be a region favorite this upcoming season.
    • That’s not a choice, it’s the same thing and equally dangerous.    I’ve literally heard (with my own listening ears) the R County Chairman boast in a speech that “the only time I’ve ever voted for a Democrat was when I voted for Hillary in the Democrat primary! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!” You’ll never guess who is tweeting all over the place about how we need closed primaries this week.  Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.  Escalation of force.  These are concepts that you completely understand and teach.  Whatever we do today, we’ll pay for tomorrow. Impeach a President over something stupid? They’ll impeach yours twice.  Promise to lock up your political rival if you get elected? You can’t cry over somebody else doing it to you… even if you were just blowing a little smoke for the morons.   The old days of “don’t throw rocks if you live in glass houses” has now become “I’m pretty sure I’ve got more rocks than they do.” The frightening thing is that Ds only do it to Rs. Rs do it to Ds and other Rs alike without hesitation.  
    • Definitely does NOT sound like a fit for PN-G.
    • No offense, but both sides do it.  The Rs in Texas want to do away with decades of precedent and demand that Dems are no longer given chair positions on any committees in the Tx House. It sounds reasonable enough, until you arrive at a point when the Ds enjoy a single seat majority in the house, select the most leftist speaker of all times, and the refuse to give Rs any say in the legislative process by refusing to give them any committee chairs.     Experience has shown me that any time a party seeks to consolidate power in a legislative body, it backfires.    What I don’t like is a world where we cheer for Manchin for doing his own thing, but also re-elect guys like Paxton and Patrick when they make threats to R Legislators if they don’t do exactly what the Radical Right demands. Our Rep here in Hardin County lost his spot for voting against private school vouchers-his wife is a teacher. He also voted his conscience on the Paxton impeachment.  It cost him his seat…. Not because of the will of the voters in his district, but because if millions of outside dollars pumped into the race from outside the district and even an endorsement of his unknown challenger by Donald Trump himself.    Why do people like you applaud Manchin for being his own man and then vote against Phelan for doing the same thing?
  • Topics