Todays football vs. 1980's

Guest bleed orange

I agree with you SFA85. I graduated in 1980 so I aslo played in the late 70's. The kids may be bigger, stronger and faster but we were mentally tougher than they are now. Our conditioning was way better than the kids today. In the fourth quarter is when we got our second wind and we had a bunch going both ways. Thats where we would beat the teams of today. Also back then parents never complained atleast not to the coach or the administration. Coaches can't coach like they did in the 80's anymore because of all the goofy parents. HEY COOP, YOU NEED TO PUT A SPELL CHECK ON HERE.

• 1 year later...
Guest Team Captain 07

You give me 83 Dangerfield, 85 Yates, or 88 Carter, and I'd beat Dodge, or anybody else playing now.....

Hell if you give me all of those guys in their mid 20's on that 88 Carter team and I could win state any year

80's teams could keep up if not beat teams of today. I graduated in 92 from WB and our line had several 280 to 300 pound guys that were fast and agile. Heck not including James Brown at QB, which I would put up against any QB of today. We were one of the smaller WB teams, but we had several guys that could fly and the D was awesome.

Guest BIG HOUSE

The players in the 80's weren't as soft as todays bigger,faster players.

HECK IN THE 80's YOU NEVER HEARD OF A KID MISSING 3-4weeks WITH AN ANKLE SPRANE. THOSE KIDS PLAYED IN 1-2DAYS!!!!! :-* :-* :-*

I think every area had strong teams through-out the years, and like wise weaker teams. I can remember some really good teams in 80-82, then a little of a lull, and again in 85-86, strong teams. Then in 90's a year or two strong and a lull. Seems like a cycle, not neccesarily according to years i.e. 80's 90's or today.We had extreemly fast JV team in 83 with at least 7 running under 4.9 and two in the 4.3 range, so speed has always been there. Kids today seem a little bigger, early on, could be something to do with diet? I definatly believe the better teams of 80's could hang with better teams of today.

I don't understand the comment that the spread offense can't be adjusted to with game film.  I have watched Nederland absolutely shutdown teams who ran the spread offense and it wasn't from going against their JV squad in practice.  It was by developing a game plan through studying game film.

WO-S adjusted to the spread offense over a halftime in the 2000 State Finals against Ennis...  I believe that was the first modern spread offense team we'd ever come up against.  Ennis was ahead 31-0 after two quarters.  WO-S outscored them 24-7 in the second half.  Unfortunately it wasn't quite enough.

I agree with two previous posters...

80's mental toughness vs. 90's mental toughness..." ain't even the same sport " Obviously there are standout exceptions...overall these days you lay the wood on somebody...good chance they may roll over. In the 80's even the QB laid WOOD....he damn sure didn't run out of bounds....and slide...wouldn't no slidin' in the 80's...much better chance of taking helmet to helmet ( back in the day that's how we were taught to tackle...lead with your head (up )...now it's a penalty ???

And the poster who mentioned the spained ankle....no doubt miss a game 'cause of a sprained ankle...would not happen in the 80's....Hot tub , ice bath, tighter tape, miss every full contact practice, horse linament...Put me in a cast after Friday night lights...We were all to busy having fun laying the wood...plus back then the girls like the tough guys...wouldn't that in touch, sensitivity thing...

Just my 2 cents.  8) 8) 8)

I think every area had strong teams through-out the years, and like wise weaker teams. I can remember some really good teams in 80-82, then a little of a lull, and again in 85-86, strong teams. Then in 90's a year or two strong and a lull. Seems like a cycle, not neccesarily according to years i.e. 80's 90's or today.We had extreemly fast JV team in 83 with at least 7 running under 4.9 and two in the 4.3 range, so speed has always been there. Kids today seem a little bigger, early on, could be something to do with diet? I definatly believe the better teams of 80's could hang with better teams of today.

Almost all school go through cycles, it just depends on how good each group of kids are. You might have a strong sophmore class, but a weak junior and senior class, and so on. That's why you see that, and the schools that are good year in and year out is because they have a top notch coach that get's the not so good class to overachieve.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami