US OPEN??

I am sure glad to see that 1000+ girls will get to play ball this weekend!  I hear that Umps were coming out of the woodwork from everywhere to come down here if needed from all over a multi-state area.

I looked at this whole situation and ....30(or 10 games per day) games times $ 30= $900 dollars, plus drinks, plus food and to share a hotel room with another Ump with two king beds does not sound like something to get too sour-a-belly over. LOL.

Since the games will start awful early and end quite late you will hardly see the fellow bunking in your room, if you schedule it right.

I hope we can all just make this work for the kids's sake.  There is a lot of tourism dollars being expended in the Golden Triangle area from this-- hopefully yearly event.

A lot of folks will benefit from this endeavor--Beaumont will again maybe be seen as a place for assorted National for all Associations, OPENS, etc:

Golden Triangle Shockers and Bridge City Strutters will make good money on Main Concessions;  LamarState-Port Arthur JUCO Seahawks will be able to invite 12U through 18 U girls to their tryouts scheduled this late summer and as the years go by.  Other smaller concessions groups will make a few bucks for their causes.

There is one sad item that need be presented--The new Big National Fall JUCO Open I understand will be rescheduled from Beaumont to Houston this fall.  Hopefully if we can all pull together we can show enough hospitality this weekend that we can maybe get this wonderful Tourney back in Beaumont the following year.

I don't know where you stand but I want this area to be noted as an organized, cooperative, helpful group in the Golden Triangle that wants to keep folks wanting to bring their kids to play SB in a very fun place.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with almost everything you say, I just gotta meet that umpire that is doing 30-games.

I wanna meet the ones doing 7 a day in this heat. 

You umpires are tough.  I get worn out and overheated just sittin' on a bucket cussin' yall for 1:10

I am sure glad to see that 1000+ girls will get to play ball this weekend!  I hear that Umps were coming out of the woodwork from everywhere to come down here if needed from all over a multi-state area.

I looked at this whole situation and ....30(or 10 games per day) games times $ 30= $900 dollars, plus drinks, plus food and to share a hotel room with another Ump with two king beds does not sound like something to get too sour-a-belly over. LOL.

Since the games will start awful early and end quite late you will hardly see the fellow bunking in your room, if you schedule it right.

I'll have what he's having!!!

Coming out of the woodwork?  So that's where the good umpires have been hiding.

10 games a day?  See how sharp these "woodwork-coming-out-of" umpires are about game 7 or 8.  No thanks.

2 king beds in one room?  What hotel have you been staying at?  Maybe cavorting with bureaucrats has it's perks.

Sometimes it's best to stick with whatever it is you know and avoid the embarrassment of speaking out of turn.

I personally have no beef with this tournament or it's directors.  When the terms of the original deal came out, I, like many other umpires, committed to work elsewhere.  It's as simple as that.

BTW, can you expand on your "understanding" of this "Big National Fall JUCO Open" you mentioned?

Hi BHBlue:  Heard you get most of the credit for trying to shut down this Tourney!  Glad good reason prevailed by the folks in the Triangle that did not let outsiders determine the fate of a program for little SB players to have a viable Tourney.

Hi BHBlue:  Heard you get most of the credit for trying to shut down this Tourney!  Glad good reason prevailed by the folks in the Triangle that did not let outsiders determine the fate of a program for little SB players to have a viable Tourney.

WOW!!! BHBlue are you just going to take that??

I'll have what he's having!!!

Coming out of the woodwork?  So that's where the good umpires have been hiding.

10 games a day?  See how sharp these "woodwork-coming-out-of" umpires are about game 7 or 8.  No thanks.

2 king beds in one room?  What hotel have you been staying at?  Maybe cavorting with bureaucrats has it's perks.

Sometimes it's best to stick with whatever it is you know and avoid the embarrassment of speaking out of turn.

I personally have no beef with this tournament or it's directors.  When the terms of the original deal came out, I, like many other umpires, committed to work elsewhere.  It's as simple as that.

BTW, can you expand on your "understanding" of this "Big National Fall JUCO Open" you mentioned?

What's the matter, you can't go 13-14 hours a day anymore?  ::)

I feel quite sure that many Umps will opt to work a much shorter game schedule and make less money which is perfectly OK.  In some cases however the younger folks trying to get vacation money together will work 12 to 14 hours, just because it's available.  Sorry my sharp tongue hit so hard.  I just want this thing to settle out and be successful for all the folks involved in another Triangle event.

WOW!!! BHBlue are you just going to take that??

I bet he has not read it yet!  My money goes on BHBlue that he will respond soon!

I totally agree JT, but if it is overcast some of the young ones might ASK to do it.  Chances are there are so many Umps that the games will be well distributed out.  By the way it is 20% rain and overcast(for all three days) prediction last I observed; let's hope this thing does not get rained out.

I totally agree JT, but if it is overcast some of the young ones might ASK to do it.  Chances are there are so many Umps that the games will be well distributed out.  By the way it is 20% rain and overcast(for all three days) prediction last I observed; let's hope this thing does not get rained out.

To run a tournament as big as is claimed, 12 fields, at least 3 umpires per field, that is 36.  Usually a few will be

able to work only certain hours, so 45 is more realist.  The guy UIC'g it, told me he had 15.  That covers 5 fields.

BHBLUE, had nothing to do with attempting to shut down the tournament.  The first UIC contacted was told,

NO Rooms, No Water, No Field Maintenance, and that the teams themselves could bring in their own water.

I can see teams paying $15.00 to an airlines for the extra baggage, water coolers.  Neither did the TD want to

pay the extra money for the temp fences.  [really no beig deal, just another case]  No one umpire had anything

to do with attempting to shut down the tournament.  They just were not going to work for free.  Buying your own

water, meals and originially hotel rooms, then driving from residence to the park is one hell of an expense.

Don't hammer BHBLUE, he was already committed before all this came about.

DaMan, a lot of those issues seem to be resolved now. As far as water coolers, our kids would never drink out of them anyway, so we always bought bottled water and drinks. I understand you and W's concerns over those issues, but I really hope this tournament goes off well. Maybe it was just a matter of getting off on the wrong foot. Now he will have the opportunity to show that he is good for his word.

I would like this to be successful as well, but to suggest any umpire to do 10 games in this heat is absurd.

Back when I was the younger side of 40 I remember doing 15 on a weekend, but that was rec league and the ball seemed to move a lot slower and not nearly as often.  It's not just the physical fatigue, but the mental grind as well.  I can't imagine anyone doing that much or more, in this heat, at this level of competition, no cool tent or recoup area... just don't see how they'd be giving a purposeful effort by the third day of 7+ games each day.  Not saying they can't, just can't imagine how they could.

Johnny is right they have a great large group of Umps coming in.  The guy(TD) is trying to do this at $200 a team and also save folks around here gas.  So if it ends up not a Cadillac deal local folks will understand and will all step in and make sure every thing gets done properly, if need be.

The only folks I hear complaining are from out of the Triangle and they started out early and still have an "Empire" agenda.  Sometimes the tail just does not wag the dog, this seem to be the case since the Tourney made in spite of outside strong opinions.  Let's drop it, the Tourney is a done deal and I hope the Umps arriving feel they are being treated with respect, good hospitality, and quite fairly--at this event.

JT, you are right NO ONE drinks the water the little brothers and sisters have played in  LOL

You know in some ways this Tourney may be a positive paradigm shift: There will be EMS,Ambulance, and Police out at the gala Riverfront Park Kick-off Event on Thursday night.  There will also be EMS, Ambulance and Police present during the whole Tourney out at the complex.  Could prove others may be able to run a quality Tourney on what we consider a $200 shoestring?

Guest stircrazy

Well guys you are CRAZY if you think NObody drinks the water in the DUGOUTS. I have worked several tourny's this year and I can tell you that we had carts going back and forth with coolers and teams also brought coolers. If you do not have a field miantance crew to drag after 3 games at College St. the fields get really rough. If I am a coach paying any amount of money for a tourny then I want it safe and playable. Whether it's 100.00 or 200.00 or whatever the fields need to be maintained. I can also gaurantee you that it does not matter how young your UMPS are , they aren't going to call 30 games in a weekend. As for BHBLUE , you can bet he did not try to rally an UMPIRE boycott. If he did not like the deal being presented then he would have said NO THANKS and let others make their own minds up. All he ever asks for is a gatorade every now and then.

I really hope this thing goes well since I have a little one playing there this weekend. But if you offer a 1st Class Tourny then you better be able to bring a 1st class tourny and group with you. You can't put these things on by the seat of your pants if you expect to do it again NEXT year.

No one said there were not field crews except DAMan.  The Tournament Director has young men coming over from Houston and also others--this will be a safe weekend.  These field folks were lined up weeks ago.  Don't believe the negatives that are  being manufactured. 

I would bring ice or water for your team.  I have never been at any Tourney anywhere where everyone was totally satisfied about the ice/water delivery situation--ice melts, water tends to be contaminated by younger folks--I am sure that some are unsatisfied already but things don't start till tomorrow night and I have a feeling that folks will try very hard to cater to your discriminating taste as best they can.

Tommy Voss a long time dedicated Tournament Director made the statement that it is getting harder and harder to please people, just before he kind of gave up on Beaumont.... ;D

You know, I would suggest that anyone with big tents please just set them up all over as a courtesy to all folks to be able to get out of the sun occasionally.  With no trees this can be a hot place-- the shade from big tents would be welcomed by all.

Guest stircrazy

Tents are a great idea. Most have their own. Tommy Voss did not give up BMT because he couldn't please the people. He gave up Bmt because the Jefferson County and SMG could not please him. He was looking out for us. If he couldn't please the people he would not still be putting on tournaments.  Those fields are still in bad shape and at the Stars Over Texas we did more work on them than we would have at College St. The NEW fields were good and drained good after the rains but field 7 was not even used except for pickup games because of its poor playing condition. Once again I hope they go well. I love the short drive and no hotels .

Guest stircrazy

I can't see BHBlue start an umpire boycott either. He is a good man until he ump's the SEC and can't see the outside corner!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  LOL

I did not say he could see the corners! I think the last time we had him he was boycotting the high price GATORADE and had something from the Daiquiri Hut in his jug.HAHAHAHAHA  Alex thought he had something to drink besides water also.

I have followed this thread with great interest, but have been reluctant to post. But I can't contain myself any longer.  As for the tournament, I would just say as always don't board the train without checking to see where it has been and where it is going.  I am however overjoyed to find out that you guys don't seen to think that water in the dugouts and field crews are necessary. This is going to save me a bunch of money.  Now if you will just tell me that you won't compain about your game times, the teams you are playing or the umpires, I will be in heaven. I however don't think we would have played at College St at all during our Summer event.  A lot of rain fell over a three day period. The Crush guys as usual did a great job, I just don't think they could have done it at College.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124