My dumb remark about 'LU at OU'

Guest abovetherim

A lot can change in 10 years in college athletics. Your dream may just take a few more years. Agree, in the short term LU vs SFA on Fox Sports Southwest is probably more "realistic" at this time.

It wasn't dumb, it should be the goal. I wish they would think as you over at Lamar because playing

SFA will not put people in the stands, even if the game is on Fox.

so let me get this straight UNLV, Lamar getting pounded 70-0 by the Oklahoma Sooners is going to put people in the stands?  but perhaps a good competitive game with SFA that could be for a Div I FCS playoff spot will not? 

It wasn't dumb, it should be the goal. I wish they would think as you over at Lamar because playing

SFA will not put people in the stands, even if the game is on Fox.

so let me get this straight UNLV, Lamar getting pounded 70-0 by the Oklahoma Sooners is going to put people in the stands?  but perhaps a good competitive game with SFA that could be for a Div I FCS playoff spot will not? 

First you are spinning my words, but I'll play along.

Yes, If OU came to Beaumont to play Lamar and the betting line is OU -70, Yes Cardinal stadium would be packed with ppl peaking over the fence.

If SFA came to Beaumont to play Lamar and the betting line was even, I doubt Lamar manage more than 7,000 at that game.

If SFA came to Beaumont to play Lamar and the betting line was even, I doubt Lamar manage more than 7,000 at that game.

Betting line will always be even for FCS games! There's no bets on the table. When an FBS plays an FCS, no lines available.

You'd have to hope LU would draw well for SFA, SHSU and McNeese. Those are the three closest schools to Beaumont!

Guest coachacola

Betting line will always be even for FCS games! There's no bets on the table. When an FBS plays an FCS, no lines available.

You'd have to hope LU would draw well for SFA, SHSU and McNeese. Those are the three closest schools to Beaumont!

"Drawing well" is a relative term.  Here's what all the D1 teams in Texas averaged last year in football:

1.  Texas 85144

2.  A&M  82207

----------------

3.  Tech  51911

4.  UTEP  36569

5.  Baylor 34378

6.  TCU    30018

----------------

7.  UH    20955

8.  UNT  17734

9.  SMU  17171

10. Rice  13353

----------------

11. TxSt  11408

12. SHSU  9627

13. SFA    8480

14. PV      7750

15. TSU    3764

Where do you draw the line between drawing well and not drawing well?  Of course UT and A&M are in a class of their own, with the next group drawing well.  The 3rd group isn't drawing that well for FBS teams, but they are still ahead of all the FCS teams.  Having less than 10K at a college football game is pretty normal at the FCS level and I wouldn't call that "drawing well".

I agree with UNLV on this one, playing teams like OU should be the long-term goal.  It's going to take some time to build up facilities and a fan base before they can go FBS, but that has to be Lamar's ultimate goal, otherwise 10K to 15K average attendance is all they'll ever get.

I've never heard of an FBS school playing at an FCS.  One guy called in on Bob West's show with Coach Woodard and wanted to "bring in Miami, Oklahoma, bring em' all into Beaumont and lets get it goin' now."  Woodard chuckled a little bit, because it likely will never happen but it's not impossible.  What if Billy Tubbs worked some magic to get Stoops & Co. down to Beaumont?  It would be unprecedented.  There's another pipe dream.

I've never heard of an FBS school playing at an FCS.  One guy called in on Bob West's show with Coach Woodard and wanted to "bring in Miami, Oklahoma, bring em' all into Beaumont and lets get it goin' now."  Woodard chuckled a little bit, because it likely will never happen but it's not impossible.  What if Billy Tubbs worked some magic to get Stoops & Co. down to Beaumont?  It would be unprecedented.  There's another pipe dream.

An FBS has played at an FCS. There was a list of it somewhere on AGS...though it has not happened regularly since the late 1980s, I believe there have been several instances since 1990. These are the three "series" that come to mind and I believe there are several more.

Navy went to Delaware in 1985, 1987, 1989 and 1992.

Army went to Yale in 1986 and 1988.

Idaho went to Montana in 1999, 2001 and 2003. Idaho has been I-A/FBS since 1997

Other include...

Boston College @ Holy Cross, 1986

Va Tech @ Richmond, 1986

Buffalo @ UMass, 1998 (Buffalo went FBS/I-A in 1996)

La Tech @ McNeese, 1990

Buffalo @ Liberty, 1998

Youngstown State games at home vs FBS/I-A according to one on AGS...

1997 Buffalo

1995 Central Michigan

1994 Akron & Kent State

Illinois St contests at home vs FBS...

1990: Ball St 13 Illinois St 3

1987: Illinois State 20 Western Michigan 6

1984: Tulsa 28 Illinois State 7

1983: Western Michigan 14 Illinois State 13

1993 Western Michigan

1990 Ohio & Akron

Good post Terror... i wonder how long that takes to get that much information?  ???

Found a recent post on AGS...knew it had come up recently and found it.

AGS is really the best FCS community out there and a great deal of my knowledge about this level has been heightened by the board, meeting people from the board in person, contributing to radio shows through the board and even writing stories for the news provider of the board.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder