2008 Shetland All Star Tourney

I have a copy of the entire bracket in pdf format, but I think it may be too big to post here.

I will give it a try.....  It worked...You can view the bracket by clicking on the paperclip at the bottom of the post.

Good Luck to Everyone.

Thanks daddy23.  We get Groves right off the bat!!!!  Why are all of the number 1 teams in one part of the bracket and the number 2 in the other half?  Are you going in as Vidor 1 or 2.  We are the number 1 and we are going in as the number 1.

Yes it is always that way, but the leagues keep it interesting by sometimes sending their top team as #1 and sometimes sending the top team as #2.  It seems to work out fine in the end.  And it is double elimination which does reduce some of the luck of the draw factor.  It should be fun and very competitive.

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply.  We are going in as Vidor #2.  Out of respect for our other team, I was reluctant to share which team we were going in as.  However, we are now just a few days away from the Tournament Meeting on Thursday, and surely everyone has already decided what team is going in as what. 

So if Lazeek is right, the top Sour Lake team is going in as #1 and we are going in as #2.  I have not heard anything from Orange, Groves, or Port Arthur. 

I figured with just a few days to go, there would be a little more chatter as to who has heard who looks good.  We have only had 2 weeks of practice, but I am pleased with how we are coming together. 

I would love to hear some chatter from Orange or Groves.  I can't remember the Groves A team from last year, but they had one team in the DT that had a very strong top of the lineup.  Last year, Orange had a great team in All-Stars and another really solid team as well.  Maybe someone knows something from either place.  What about Port Arthur?  I don't even know how many teams they had this year in league to choose from for All-Stars.

Hopefully, there will be some more chatter this week.

Good Luck To Everyone

daddy23,

I already posted that the top team in Groves is the #1. Good luck to everyone.

I went by the fields in PA today to take a look at them. One of fields is not in playing shape and the other has a yellow boundary (like a hose) in the out field. Does anyone know what that is?

Shiner,

I was not reading the thread that well...Sorry about the oversight.  That just leaves Orange as the unknown.  I think that last year they went in in reverse order.  I guess we will know on Tuesday.

As far as the fields go, I have not been back over there since the Director's Tournament.  The field is the last one on the left as you drive in.  I was going to go over today, but I got busy.  I heard that the City of Port Arthur was going to install a 6 foot high outfield fence at "regulation" distance.  I wanted to go over and see how it was coming and how deep it was being set.  Maybe the yellow rope is where they are planning on installing the fence.  However, if it is not up by tomorrow, I would have to question whether the fence will happen before the tournament. 

Has anyone heard where the tournament meeting is going to be held.  I was under the impression that there is no "boardroom" at the ballpark and that they would find an alternate location.

Just what I have heard.  I am open to correction on all fronts and appreciate the info from anyone.

Yes it is always that way, but the leagues keep it interesting by sometimes sending their top team as #1 and sometimes sending the top team as #2.  It seems to work out fine in the end.  And it is double elimination which does reduce some of the luck of the draw factor.  It should be fun and very competitive.

I have been the 1 coach and taken the 2 team spot. I look at the bracket and the times of the games and if I think it is better for my team to take the 2 spot then thats what I do.

Shiner,

I was not reading the thread that well...Sorry about the oversight.  That just leaves Orange as the unknown.  I think that last year they went in in reverse order.  I guess we will know on Tuesday.

As far as the fields go, I have not been back over there since the Director's Tournament.  The field is the last one on the left as you drive in.  I was going to go over today, but I got busy.  I heard that the City of Port Arthur was going to install a 6 foot high outfield fence at "regulation" distance.  I wanted to go over and see how it was coming and how deep it was being set.  Maybe the yellow rope is where they are planning on installing the fence.  However, if it is not up by tomorrow, I would have to question whether the fence will happen before the tournament. 

Has anyone heard where the tournament meeting is going to be held.  I was under the impression that there is no "boardroom" at the ballpark and that they would find an alternate location.

Just what I have heard.  I am open to correction on all fronts and appreciate the info from anyone.

I was the coach of the Pinto team last year and I don't remember if we went in as the 1 or 2 team. Like my previous post says I look at the bracket and take what I think is best for my team. The 1 team coach has the option to take the position he wants. I haven't talked to those guys so I don't know what they are doing.

I have been the 1 coach and taken the 2 team spot. I look at the bracket and the times of the games and if I think it is better for my team to take the 2 spot then thats what I do.

That is exactly why I took the Vidor 2 spot this year. 

I went out to the field around lunch today to check it out.  The yellow tape is definitely a planned fence for the tourney.  I have no idea if they will be able to complete the fence by Saturday, nor did I get a good vision of what kind of fence they are putting in.  The pitcher's mound is under construction, but I really couldn't tell what it will look like on Saturday.

Whatever the condition, all the teams will have the same field conditions.  I may make another trip out there later in the week. 

One thing for sure is that it was hot out there.  The forecast calls for hot and humid all next week.  That is one part of the tournament that will not be much fun. 

It appears we know what Sour Lake and Vidor teams are doing.

So what about the Orange teams?  Does anyone want to speak up?

What about bathrooms at Port Arthur fields?  I have been told that there is are two port-a-potties (one pink and on boy).  Is this correct?

They only had portable toilets during the Director's Tournament.  However, they were clean when I used them. 

I think they may be able to have a fence up by this weekend, but building bathrooms will take longer than a week, so I really am betting against any bathrooms this weekend.

I will be interested in what other people think about the field.

Shiner,

It probably was me that you saw.  They are trying to work on the pitcher mound.  Someone was out there mowing.  There is no shade for fans.  When I stepped the distance from the center of home plate down 1st base to the "yellow" tape for new fence, I stepped off 45 steps, which is approx. 135 feet.  The existing fencing is approx. 23 steps further.  From center of home plate to "yellow" tape at center field is approx. 48 steps, which is approx. 144 feet.

I also agree that the field is not in good shape.  Right now the infield dirt is muddy.

I noticed in the Home side dugout that there was a section of re-bar sticking out of several concrete blocks.

If coaches are tall, they will need duck to go into the dugouts. 

However, I guess we must do the best with this situation.

I spoke with the Tournament Director (Steven Kennedy) today and he said that the meeting on Thursday (7 p.m.) will be at the ballpark.

Does anyone know how Orange is going into the tournament?

No,

It was me that Shiner saw out there.  I appreciate the info on the coach's meeting.

I really cannot add anything on the field conditions.  They are what they are and it is not the best for sure.

Young Gun, which team are you with?

See everyone tomorrow night at the meeting.  I have no idea on Orange, but I would really like to know.

No,

It was me that Shiner saw out there.  I appreciate the info on the coach's meeting.

I really cannot add anything on the field conditions.  They are what they are and it is not the best for sure.

Young Gun, which team are you with?

See everyone tomorrow night at the meeting.  I have no idea on Orange, but I would really like to know.

I don't think that the guy that's coaching them comes to this site. I'm not even sure who is coaching the second team so I can't say about him. I know I haven't heard anything about Shetland and which team they are taking. Maybe it's a top level secret.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder