**Riojas new WO-S baseball coach**

Riojas new WO-S baseball coach

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — Two wins against an inferior opponent a season will not cut it with the new man in town for the West Orange-Stark Mustangs baseball team.

The Mustangs baseball team found its man recently and it is Jesse Riojas.

Riojas and Jimmy Holloman shared the duties this past season after Derrick Rivers was dismissed from his duties.

Now Riojas is determined to put the Mustangs back on their winning ways and become a contender in District 21-3A next season and beyond.

“It feels great, it really does,†Riojas said. “It is truly an honor for me. West Orange-Stark was always rich in tradition in the past and were competitive over the years when I played baseball. I already have a ton of support from the parents, the kids and my colleagues. Cornell Thompson and Dan Hooks here at WO-S also support baseball and they are this team’s No. 1 fans.â€

Riojas is a 2000 graduate of Little Cypress-Mauriceville where he played under LC-M’s Steve Griffith.

Riojas will turn eyes his on making sure his players are ready to turn their sights on improving the Mustangs baseball team and in a hurry.

“I am confident we can turn this thing around,†Riojas said. “We are all going to work hard and keep getting better. These players really have not been in an offseason in quite a while. Now the kids will be prepared, hit the weights in the summer and hit the track. Plus several are playing some select ball and also in the Babe Ruth system.

“I just want to bring that swagger we had at LC-M over and back to WO-S. Here lately when someone played WO-S they might have said, ‘Here we go. I can pad my stats up a bit.’ In the future I want them to say, ‘ We better strap up because the Mustangs come ready to play.’â€

Riojas is also not short on mentors he can turn to for help. He was coached by Griff and has worked closely with Sam Moore and Chris Fackler.

“I worked for two-and-a-half years with Sam and Fackler and those two are big mentors for me,†Riojas said. “I still talk with those guys on a daily basis. Then if I have any questions I can call Coach Griffith. He was just telling how it is when nine parents like you and another set of four or five will not because their child is not out there. We have to do what is best for our teams. I have been blessed with the guys I have been around.â€

Another part of the baseball tradition which has been lacking for two seasons has been the annual Certa-Bearden Baseball Tournament held at WO-S.

“That tournament will be back next season,†Riojas said. “We owe it to those families to have that tournament and it is out of respect to them we will bring it back. We already have four teams lined up to participate and I am wanting to get about eight involved.

“I take this game to heart. I love seeing the kids work hard and then find success. I promise to be a Mustang for a long time and not bail in three years. I have a great boss in Coach Hooks, great fans, great players and a great administration. All around this was a perfect place for me.â€

I look forward to working with Jessie and watching him help turn this program around. Anything I can do to help, he knows my cell.

Im really happy to hear of the return of the WOS tourney. Good to hear it will be back soon!

Well, I guess I am the only one who thinks that Hooks made a wrong decision.  I just hope he knows what he is getting himself into.  Just my opinion.  Proves that still baseball takes second place to football.

:o :o It was probably the oc fault?

I think Jesse Riojas is a perfect fit for the Mustangs.  Jesse knows how to coach, but then again, he also knows how to inspire a team.  As has been seen on this thread already, there are people who are going to lay minefields for him.  Jess...don't pay attention to those folks.  Go out, teach and mentor those kids, like Griff taught and mentored you.  I look forward to seeing the 'Stangs contending for the 21-3A title. 

Good luck Coach! I believe in you. We can return to what we once were. We need a leader and I believe you're the man. We need to bring back the fundamentals and I believe you're the man for that too. Bring back the tradition and the alumni and you will be on your way. Thanks for bringing back the Certa-Bearden tournament. It's important to alot of us that played during Coach Beardens days.

There are alot of us that are a phone call away.

td

Good luck Coach! I believe in you. We can return to what we once were. We need a leader and I believe you're the man. We need to bring back the fundamentals and I believe you're the man for that too. Bring back the tradition and the alumni and you will be on your way. Thanks for bringing back the Certa-Bearden tournament. It's important to alot of us that played during Coach Beardens days.

There are alot of us that are a phone call away.

td

Thats the kind of positive support this young coach needs. Well put and good luck coach.

Welcome to the wonderful world of coaching Mr. Riojas.

On your first day you have already had people congratulate you, wish you good luck, claim you are the wrong guy for the job, and even a future parent stroke your ego a little.

You are officialy off and running now.

Welcome to the wonderful world of coaching Mr. Riojas.

On your first day you have already had people congratulate you, wish you good luck, claim you are the wrong guy for the job, and even a future parent stroke your ego a little.

You are officialy off and running now.

very underrated post IMO  ;D

i ahve met roijas and seen him coach and im  sure he will do what he can with what he has. I am just wondering if hallman tried for this job. He has been coaching longer and is a great guy. He was messed over in his other job before coming to west orange and I should would like to see him get the dues he has coming to him.

I dont believe that hooks made a bad choice i just wish coach H could get whats coming to him. good luck stangs in the future.

i ahve met roijas and seen him coach and im  sure he will do what he can with what he has. I am just wondering if hallman tried for this job. He has been coaching longer and is a great guy. He was messed over in his other job before coming to west orange and I should would like to see him get the dues he has coming to him.

I dont believe that hooks made a bad choice i just wish coach H could get whats coming to him. good luck stangs in the future.

Well, I agree with you.  Hallman would have been a great fit for the job and a likely choice since I believe he has more experience than Rojas.  I had also heard that Micheal Thompson was a possible choice, who would have also been a great choice.  I have feeling that some major behind kissing was done in this situation, because the most qualified didn't get the job. 

Riojas is a good pick for the job and not saying anyone else was not. JessE, yes I misspelled that in the paper so sorry, is very excited about this and I would hope everyone gets behind him.

That is what it is going to take to get WOS back on the baseball map, a full commitment from the school and community.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder