*Bridge City vs. Jasper Game 1 Playoff/JASPER ADVANCES!!!!!*

Guest etbu

WOW what a tough loss for BC for the second straight year. BC has nothing to hang their about just one of those things that happens in sports. You guys are very young and will be back strong next year. Enjoyed watching you and will see you guys next year. Have a great summer and keep your heads up.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a very entertaining game to watch.  I have to say that Hicks is one of the best HS players I have seen.  He is just outstanding in every phase of the game.  Parson pitched a terrific game.  Outside of Hicks two rips he kept BC off balance.  Umps strike zone was a little of the low side, but it was consistent.  Mixon did exactly what I hoped he would do...but Jackson on base every chance he got with the intentional walk (he did it 3 times in a row).  Malcolm absolutely crushed the ball for a HR.  Jasper went the other way for several hits that were Texas leaguers..good hitting.  Defense was fine for both teams.  Two best plays were both by BC.  Hicks play one squeeze was very good, and the 2nd baseman made a fine play to end an inning also.  Only thing wrong with this series was that we only got to watch them play 1 time this year instead of 3 times.  Best of luck to BC next year and sure hope we get to see these two meet up again in the playoffs then.

Guest bballdude

Tonights atmosphere was insane. BC fans showed up! lol they took up 3/4 of the stands great support for those guys. Hicks is a fine player...hard to believe he is a sophmore. The crazy part is robertson made the last out last year and he made the last out this year. Wierd. Anyways. Congrats BC on an amazing season, district champs. Hold yalls heads up.

Bulldogs oust Cardinals, 5-1

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

NEDERLAND —

It could easily be said the Jasper Bulldogs have now beaten the Bridge City Cardinals twice this week.

First came the coin flip to force a one-game playoff and then came Friday's 5-1 victory in Nederland in the Class 3A Region III regional quarterfinals.

Jasper (26-6) wanted no part of Bridge City's (26-7) pitching depth and settled to a winner take all and it was the right call as Justin Parsons outlasted Matt Hicks to send the defending state champions into the regional semi-finals against either Hutto or Carthage.

Parsons hurled all seven innings for the Bulldogs giving up just one run on four hits to go with 10 strike outs and three walks. Parsons threw 102 pitches for the victory.

Sophomore Hicks did his part on the mound giving up just six hits with six strike outs and one walk.

It was the lack of hitting which spelled doom to the Cardinals' season.

Neither pitcher had given up a hit until the top of the fourth when Bridge City's Joe Robertson led off with an infield single.

Hicks followed it up with the first of his two doubles to push Robertson to third.

After an intentional walk to Casey Jackson, Parsons got Blake Hubbard to strike out and then went to work on Jaden Dillon.

Dillon did his job and hit a fly to right field to give Robertson plenty of time to score making it 1-0.

It would be the only inning Bridge City would string together more than one hit in a single inning.

Sophomore Luke Rhodes had a single in the fifth and Hicks doubled again in the sixth yet was stranded on second.

Bridge City loaded the bases in the sixth with two outs yet Parsons dug deep and found a way to get out of the threat.

While the Cardinals were struggling to find offense, the Bulldogs scored two runs in the bottom of the fourth to take the lead for good.

Taylor Hart struck for an infield single and after a ground out, Malcolm Bronson stepped up to the plate.

Bronson hit his second homer of the season off Hicks into right field to give Jasper a 2-1 advantage.

Jasper was not done as they scored three more times in the bottom of the fifth.

Aaron Stephenson and Parker Phillips hit back-to-back singles to right with one out and Cord Yates followed with a two-run single to right field.

Hart then reached on a fielder's choice and moved all the way to third on a Bridge City error.

Hart would make it 5-1 when Bronson was able to reach on what the press box gave an error.

Bronson slapped a hard hit ball to second base and the ball took a huge bounce over Bridge City's Eric Matthews glove giving Hart time to score.

Hicks struck out Parsons to end the threat.

Even with a 5-1 lead Jasper Coach Shawn Mixon never stopped trying to score more runs in the bottom of the sixth.

With Parker on third and Phillips up to bat with one down, Phillips squared to bunt for a squeeze play.

Hicks fielded the ball nicely in front of Jackson and flipped to the senior catcher for a nice second out.

Hicks then got Yates to ground into a force out.

Parsons would not allow a rally by getting the Cardinals out in order in the top of the seventh.

The loss ends three outstanding careers for the Cardinals as Jackson, Dillon and Jason Clark will all graduate.

Jackson led the Cardinals in numerous offensive categories as a senior and Dillon and Clark each played outstanding the outfield for Bridge City while also having a combined 13-1 mark on the mound.

Dillon and Clark won Games 2 and 3 last weekend against Needville to set up the series against Jasper.

This is the second year in a row the Bulldogs have eliminated the Cardinals, last year doing it in a thrilling three-game set at Lamar University.

Guest Orangeboy

Good game Jasper....BC you just couldn't get anything started tonight...Still don't know why BC didn't start a different pitcher??? at least start...Who knows thats why I not a coach. Anyways good luck throughout the playoffs.

When you only score 1 run against Jasper it doesn't really matter who pitches. Best of luck to Jasper, represent our district well one more time.

"First came the coin flip to force a one-game playoff and then came Friday's 5-1 victory in Nederland in the Class 3A Region III regional quarterfinals.

Jasper (26-6) wanted no part of Bridge City's (26-7) pitching depth and settled to a winner take all and it was the right call as Justin Parsons outlasted Matt Hicks to send the defending state champions into the regional semi-finals against either Hutto or Carthage."

He he.

Nice jab there.

I don't think Mixon was as worried about BC depth so much as he worried about his lack thereof.  He hadn't beaten Hicks in 2 tries this year, and so thinking he could the 3rd time with Parson on the mound showed a lot of confidence in his teams ability with his best against their best.

Hupernikomen I in no way am taking anything against Jasper. I am not the only person who said BC has more depth in pitching.

Coach Mixon set his team up the best way he thought and it was avoiding the depth BC has and it worked for him. He is to be applauded for this. That is why I said it was the right call.

Jasper is a great baseball team that shows class and wins games the right way. Its like I personally told Matt Hicks - There is no shame at all in losing to a state champion.

Congrats to the Dogs and I hope they win another one for 21-3A.

what an atmosphere....and good game on both sides....tonight the ball fell just right for jasper and really only hit the ball hard one time (bronson hr) but that and well placed hits is all it took.  and if you questioning the pitching of bc, idk how you can second guess that, how do you know if anyone would have done better the perfect game /no hitter was intact for both teams into the fourth inning. 

jasper won fair and square, and is bc's kryptonite and earned the right to continue in the playoffs BUT

i really think the 1 gamer should be eliminated, and im not just saying this in light of tonight (all of you are thinking "yea right") but anyway i really think the integrity of the game is dampened by a 1 game series, i just think a "series" needs to be 3 games to really prove who the better team is.  and not just for the teams sake in this situation but FOR THE FANS SAKE i think we all wanted two more games between these two, it would have been so good for setx baseball.

superb play by hicks on the squeeze and great tag jackson, and you're right gabe there is no shame in losing to a champion, but when a player like hicks thinks in his heart that HE and his team are champions losses in games like this is hard to swallow

congrats jasper, go gettem'

Bridge City followers and players have always shown such class in both victory and defeat as far back as I can remember following and being a part of several Jasper teams in different sports (some 25 years or so). I know we'll be in different districts for a couple of years, but I'm sure our coaches will schedule a game or two until we realign again.

I was on pins and needles here in Seattle listening to Art Lay call the game. At least I can follow the Bulldogs because the Seattle Mariners are a joke right now...

have seen in quite a few responses on many threads where folks think all series should be 3 gamers.. But think about this... When you get to the State Tourny, it is one game semi and 1 game final. Yes you have to play 2 days in a row but still it is the the most important games and they are both 1 gamers. If the coaches don't agree then you flip the coin and play with the hand you are dealt.

Hupernikomen I in no way am taking anything against Jasper. I am not the only person who said BC has more depth in pitching.

Coach Mixon set his team up the best way he thought and it was avoiding the depth BC has and it worked for him. He is to be applauded for this. That is why I said it was the right call.

Jasper is a great baseball team that shows class and wins games the right way. Its like I personally told Matt Hicks - There is no shame at all in losing to a state champion.

Congrats to the Dogs and I hope they win another one for 21-3A.

I respect your opinion.  BC 2 and 3 are probably better pitchers at this point than Jaspers with Stephenson not to his last year's form.  Don't know if Yates has ever thrown against BC but he looked plenty good against Bellville.

Guest BC boy 17

have seen in quite a few responses on many threads where folks think all series should be 3 gamers.. But think about this... When you get to the State Tourny, it is one game semi and 1 game final. Yes you have to play 2 days in a row but still it is the the most important games and they are both 1 gamers. If the coaches don't agree then you flip the coin and play with the hand you are dealt.

i understand what you are saying and agree, but you still have to have depth to win that 2nd game  ;D

Guest Orangeboy

The state tourney should be 2 out o 3 as well.

i understand what you are saying and agree, but you still have to have depth to win that 2nd game  ;D

well the dogs have the same two pitchers who won it last year this year.  I just hope they get there.  If they do you figure JP would throw game 1 again, and then if they make the finals I guess anything can happen.  Probably be the other teams #2 pitcher.  That is the thing people don't mention about the state tourney.  The team with the depth does win.  It just like in 2 out of 3 because you can't throw your ace both games.  People can't risk not throwing their ace in the semis.

One year I wish the sprint relay would have been best 2 out of 3 because had it been Jasper would have won the state throphy in track instead of Atlanta.  All we had to do was place about 3rd and we had a horrible race, dropped the stick, bobbled it or something.  Had the best time in the state going into the race too.

One year I wish the sprint relay would have been best 2 out of 3 because had it been Jasper would have won the state throphy in track instead of Atlanta.  All we had to do was place about 3rd and we had a horrible race, dropped the stick, bobbled it or something.  Had the best time in the state going into the race too.

It was worse than that.  A kid from another team practically tackled the Jasper runner, knocking him down.  By the time the Jasper runner could get up, the best he could do was a place or two below what would have won state for Jasper.  The other team was disqualified for the tackle, but little good that did Jasper. 

But this is all off-subject.

Jasper still has the two pitchers who were depth enough to win at state last year.  Plus Cord Yates, who judging from what he did against Bellville is also quite capable.  :)

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317