Coach Woodard Info

Guest Ozen

Woodard has stated over and over that he got the job??? I'd sure like to see Stump but will support Woodard if he gets the job.  Whoever it is...we need to get behind them and show our support

Where is he stating this?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insiders close to the Navarro athletic community are saying that Woodard has unofficially been hired.  These people are either former Beaumont residents or friends of Lamar boosters.  BT has done an excellent job of leaving the fans in suspense.  I'm disappointed in the apathetic media coverage.  If you watch sports at 10:20pm, you'll be lucky to hear something on LU football.

Insiders close to the Navarro athletic community are saying that Woodard has unofficially been hired.  These people are either former Beaumont residents or friends of Lamar boosters.  BT has done an excellent job of leaving the fans in suspense.  I'm disappointed in the apathetic media coverage.  If you watch sports at 10:20pm, you'll be lucky to hear something on LU football.

This guy might be the best football mind every. However he won't fill the stadium. Lamar needs a full stadium first.

Guest coachacola

This guy might be the best football mind every. However he won't fill the stadium. Lamar needs a full stadium first.

I think Lamar will have good crowds the first year or two no matter who the coach is because Lamar football will be new.  After that Lamar needs to start winning, no matter who the coach is, and that's the only reason people will go to the games.

Billy Tubbs hired Roc and Tidwell because they can recruit, not because they were big names who would draw the crowds.  I think he'll do the same with football.  He'll try to get a coach who can recruit the players needed to be able to win in the 2nd or 3rd year. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tubbs has never publicly said he's going after a big-name coach.  From what I've seen so far at Lamar since Tubbs took over as athletic director is that he's quietly and methodically rebuilding the athletic program.  I believe what he means by bringing back football the right way is building the instrastructure needed to support a winning program.  IMHO we won't see the final results for at least 3 or 4 years from now.

I think Lamar will have good crowds the first year or two no matter who the coach is because Lamar football will be new.  After that Lamar needs to start winning, no matter who the coach is, and that's the only reason people will go to the games.

Billy Tubbs hired Roc and Tidwell because they can recruit, not because they were big names who would draw the crowds.  I think he'll do the same with football.  He'll try to get a coach who can recruit the players needed to be able to win in the 2nd or 3rd year. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tubbs has never publicly said he's going after a big-name coach.  From what I've seen so far at Lamar since Tubbs took over as athletic director is that he's quietly and methodically rebuilding the athletic program.  I believe what he means by bringing back football the right way is building the instrastructure needed to support a winning program.  IMHO we won't see the final results for at least 3 or 4 years from now.

Nice

I agree.  It would be totally unfair to expect Ray Woodard to win the Southland Conference and race through the playoffs in year one.  By the third year LU should win the Southland.  This is, of course, based on an expectation of staying FCS, not FBS.  Ray Woodard could be the architect of a great football dynasty.  Or Lamar might be mediocre for six or eight seasons.  We can't  predict how these things turn out.

I agree.  It would be totally unfair to expect Ray Woodard to win the Southland Conference and race through the playoffs in year one.  By the third year LU should win the Southland.  This is, of course, based on an expectation of staying FCS, not FBS.  Ray Woodard could be the architect of a great football dynasty.  Or Lamar might be mediocre for six or eight seasons.  We can't  predict how these things turn out.

Lamar better not win the SLC and make the playoffs in year one, considering they are ineligible for both. I guess you can chalk up the fact Lamar will not be in the SLC to year three may be a reason they "should" win the SLC that year, eh?

Lamar Time Frame

2009 Redshirts for all, scrimmages

2010 FCS Independent (6 or 7 Div I games)

2011 FCS Indpendent (9 or 10 Div I games), become eligible as an FBS counter (in order to play FBS squads for $$$)

2012 SLC full-time member

Oh yes he did. He said Barry agreed to do it if the perks were right. He also said SETX would not support I-AA. And Lamar joining the WAC.

Guest coachacola

Oh yes he did. He said Barry agreed to do it if the perks were right. He also said SETX would not support I-AA. And Lamar joining the WAC.

I don't remember him saying that.  Was that recently or a while back?  Any links?

Guest mffl

UNLV must be playing... I can promise you Barry was never even mentioned except for the april fools joke that rim put on us.

Guest mffl

Oh and Texas Terror, it's not like Sam Houston has a great coach himself in Todd Whitten, look at his records. Not impressive AT ALL!

AS HEAD COACH

Year University

W-L-T

1996 Tarleton State

5-5-0

2000 Tarleton State

6-5-0

2001 Tarleton State

10-3-0

2002 Tarleton State

9-2-0

2003 Tarleton State

8-4-0

2004 Tarleton State

7-4-0

2005 Sam Houston State

3-7-0

AS ASSISTANT COACH

Year University

W-L-T

1988 Texas Tech

5-6-0

1989 Texas Tech

8-3-0

1990 New Mexico State

1-10-0

1991 New Mexico State

2-9-0

1992 New Mexico State

6-5-0

1993 New Mexico State

5-6-0

1994 Texas-El Paso

3-7-1

1995 Texas-El Paso

2-10-0

1997 Wyoming

7-6-0

1999 Sam Houston State

6-5-0

No I'm not getting a link. You either take my word or not. There is no million dollars for me to lie.

Billy Tubbs said those things. Barry Switzer, I-A, and the WAC, ofcourse things can change but he did say it.

Guest coachacola

No I'm not getting a link. You either take my word or not. There is no million dollars for me to lie.

Billy Tubbs said those things. Barry Switzer, I-A, and the WAC, ofcourse things can change but he did say it.

I'm not doubting you, I was just curious when he said those things and under what context.  And I believe he's building up the athletic department so those things can be possible for Lamar in 5 or 10 years.

MFFL, as a head coach...Todd Whitten has had .500 or above seasons in 8 of 9 seasons at the helm, whether it Tarleton State or Sam Houston State. Throw out the .500 season, he has had a winning record in 7 of 9 seasons. After a 3-7 season in 2005, the Kats have gone 6-5 and then 7-4. We are moving in the right direction and Whitten's recruits are paying off in big dividends.

So, 2 of 3 years in Division I -- a winning record.

And 5 of 6 in Division II -- a winning record.

"Not impressive at all"...you must be mistaken. Lamar would love to have winning seasons in 7 of 9 when they hit the gridiron.

MFFL, get your head out of the daisies... ;)

I'm not doubting you, I was just curious when he said those things and under what context.  And I believe he's building up the athletic department so those things can be possible for Lamar in 5 or 10 years.

He said it when he was coaching the basketball team. Things change, the WAC is out of the question. However SETX will still not support I-AA/FCS.

Guest coachacola

MFFL, as a head coach...Todd Whitten has had .500 or above seasons in 8 of 9 seasons at the helm, whether it Tarleton State or Sam Houston State. Throw out the .500 season, he has had a winning record in 7 of 9 seasons. After a 3-7 season in 2005, the Kats have gone 6-5 and then 7-4. We are moving in the right direction and Whitten's recruits are paying off in big dividends.

So, 2 of 3 years in Division I -- a winning record.

And 5 of 6 in Division II -- a winning record.

"Not impressive at all"...you must be mistaken. Lamar would love to have winning seasons in 7 of 9 when they hit the gridiron.

MFFL, get your head out of the daisies... ;)

If Lamar was hiring a Divisiion II coach of Todd Whitten's caliber you'd be saying how unimpressive the coach is and Lamar is doomed for the cellar.

If Lamar was hiring a Divisiion II coach of Todd Whitten's caliber you'd be saying how unimpressive the coach is and Lamar is doomed for the cellar.

Nope. There's some very impressive Div II jobs out there. Mel Tjeerdsma of NW Missouri State is probably one of the more attractive names in the region. Unlike those on this board, I have a pretty good feel for Division II and Football Championship Subdivision football. I don't just drool at the screen over Football Bowl Subdivision football.

Nope. There's some very impressive Div II jobs out there. Mel Tjeerdsma of NW Missouri State is probably one of the more attractive names in the region. Unlike those on this board, I have a pretty good feel for Division II and Football Championship Subdivision football. I don't just drool at the screen over Football Bowl Subdivision football.

Terror good thing you don't you could short out your computer.

tubbs has said that this area will only support fbs over the long haul.it will support fcs for a while but moving up would be the goal of lu football.he also said we would start fcs and the succes and fan support would determine the move.

tubbs has said that this area will only support fbs over the long haul.it will support fcs for a while but moving up would be the goal of lu football.he also said we would start fcs and the succes and fan support would determine the move.

Then no FBS at Lamar because we will not average enough fans with FCS and the coach selection will make it worse.

Then no FBS at Lamar because we will not average enough fans with FCS and the coach selection will make it worse.

fans wont be a problem for the several years.

fans wont be a problem for the several years.

Depends, a cupcake schedule with a 8-3 record the first year, then fans will stick around for another year.

Unknown coach not from the area, no FBS plan, 2-9 record...Then the same old Lamar song from fans. Football fail again.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder