Readers response to NEGATIVE coaching remarks.

Guest WeedBegone

Guest WeedBegone

I believe that negative coaching remarks actually have a negative impact for the external support for the team.  When I read a negative statement made towards the coaching  --it tends to turn me off of that team--not because of the team or coach--but because of the disgrunted fan. 

This puts me in a moral dilema regarding supporting the girls who play the game.  Is this my fault or the fault of the posters.  If it is the latter --it is time the poster see's the damage they might be doing.

YOU GUYS DECIDE!  :-\

Guest 11/13Dad

Good post Weed.  It's high school ball for god's sake, very few genuises out there.  If you have one for a coach count your blessings.  If not let the girls play the game and wait till summer ball (or a coaching change).  

I only know some of the teams mentioned on the board by the comments made by their fans.  Learned a lot this year about ball east of Baytown.  Sounds like a lot of talent on the field and some good fans and good parents.  However, some real bad apples that shed negative energy and karma toward some of those teams.  

The title is coach, not bully. These people are in a position of authority and that position is sometimes abused. These girls have no repercussions. When they are told that they suck or they will be benched for one more mistake, they have to smile and take it. If they decide they don't want to take, what happens then? When a player makes a mistake or has a bad game, "coach" them, don't belittle them or threaten them.

We played WOS our first district game and they had a very rough time in the field. Coach Ragsdale never criticized or belittled or yelled at any of them for it. I do bet that when they got back to practice they got a large dose of "coaching." Look how his team has responded.

All these girls love to be coached. From the gold level players to the players who have trouble catching the ball, they crave coaching that will make them better. Anybody who handles a situation wrong is open to public scrutiny. Police aren't above it. The clergy isn't above it and softball coaches sure aren't above it. I do believe some posters have carried it a bit far, but I have witnessed some coaches doing the same thing.

This is high school ball. It should be about fun and learning and getting better. And that is all I have to say about that.

Guest 11/13Dad
However, some real bad apples that shed negative energy and karma toward some of those teams. 

Talk about negative energy and who should appear

.....  It's high school ball for god's sake, very few genuises out there.  ....

Seems like I read where we do have one "STINKING GENIUS" out there.

What damage did the sprinkler system do in Baytown this morning?

Guest WeedBegone

.....  It's high school ball for god's sake, very few genuises out there.  ....

Seems like I read where we do have one "STINKING GENIUS" out there.

What damage did the sprinkler system do in Baytown this morning?

Get off the internet and meet me at DA Brook--we got work to do. 

Darn it.

If the coach is telling the girls that they are too fat or their stupid or telling one girls she's the reason they lost even when no one on the team got a point on the board or they have a different set of standards for the players he does like then its the coach thats bringing the bad karma.  Its not always just an obnoxious disgruntled fan or parent.  Some times it really is the coaching.  Some coaches need to realize that their players are human beings.  And you know if those coaches had a kid that was being severly degraded by someone else, I bet they wouldnt keep their mouth shut either.

Guest 11/13Dad

If the coach is telling the girls that they are too fat or their stupid or telling one girls she's the reason they lost even when no one on the team got a point on the board or they have a different set of standards for the players he does like then its the coach thats bringing the bad karma.  Its not always just an obnoxious disgruntled fan or parent.  Some times it really is the coaching.  Some coaches need to realize that their players are human beings.  And you know if those coaches had a kid that was being severly degraded by someone else, I bet they wouldnt keep their mouth shut either.

Sounds like my kid's summer coach.  lol

Guest 11/13Dad

Sounds like my kid's summer coach.  lol

I'm telling.

He will take that as a compliment, you know that. 

You think Baylor wanted that 2nd game Wednesday?  Brett Regan is a baller isn't she?

I think everyone who has publicly given his/her negative opinion on the job a coach is doing should post where they work so we can go check them out and publicly give our "expert" opinion on their performance. 

I am one umpire who would love to see how well they do with me screaming at them about how horrible they are at a job I don't have the slightest idea of how to do. 

I'd bet their response is not the same response they expect from an umpire.

Guest 11/13Dad

I think everyone who has publicly given his/her negative opinion on the job a coach is doing should post where they work so we can go check them out and publicly give our "expert" opinion on their performance. 

I am one umpire who would love to see how well they do with me screaming at them about how horrible they are at a job I don't have the slightest idea of how to do. 

I'd bet their response is not the same response they expect from an umpire.

'Nuff said.  You have been on both sides of that fence.

Guest WeedBegone

I am seeing lots of interesting responses.  To restate my question on this topic.

Does the postings regarding the abilities of a coach --or lack of abilities--promote the team in a positive image in the eyes of the readers?  Do these postings get the desired results in the public arena?  Whether they are right or wrong IMO is irrelevant to the question.

I am seeing lots of interesting responses.  To restate my question on this topic.

Does the postings regarding the abilities of a coach --or lack of abilities--promote the team in a positive image in the eyes of the readers?  Do these postings get the desired results in the public arena?  Whether they are right or wrong IMO is irrelevant to the question.

To answer your question, right or wrong, there is no positive that comes from any of these posts. Even though there is no positve promotion, it does paint an accurate picture of the programs that are mentioned. That is what is a shame.

it does paint an accurate picture of the programs that are mentioned. That is what is a shame.

I don't think it paints an accurate picture at all.  Often, the negative posts are from parents who are upset because their darling daughter isn't playing enough (and we ALL know that she's the best on the field), or from an outsider who thinks he knows everything about the game and therefore very biased against the team.  I think the negative postings are because people are generally unhappy about their game.  So I agree that the negative posts make the team look bad - generally...it makes it look as thought the players, parents and coaches can't get along. JMO

I believe that negative coaching remarks actually have a negative impact for the external support for the team.  When I read a negative statement made towards the coaching  --it tends to turn me off of that team--not because of the team or coach--but because of the disgrunted fan. 

This puts me in a moral dilema regarding supporting the girls who play the game.  Is this my fault or the fault of the posters.  If it is the latter --it is time the poster see's the damage they might be doing.

well i thought this was an opinion fourm..  Can anyone say 1st admendment.  Right to free speach and such.  I believe there might be some case law out there when a free, tax paying, law abiding American citizen post something on an OPINION FORUM.  Well here is my opinion, we pay coaches to coach.  When we pay our hard earned tax dollars we are making an investment and we should expect a good return on the investmant.  A coach should coach and not demean a child or break school policy.  I"M DUN

I believe that negative coaching remarks actually have a negative impact for the external support for the team.  When I read a negative statement made towards the coaching --it tends to turn me off of that team--not because of the team or coach--but because of the disgrunted fan. 

well i thought this was an opinion fourm..  Can anyone say 1st admendment.  Right to free speach and such.  I believe there might be some case law out there when a free, tax paying, law abiding American citizen post something on an OPINION FORUM.  Well here is my opinion, we pay coaches to coach.  When we pay our hard earned tax dollars we are making an investment and we should expect a good return on the investmant.  A coach should coach and not demean a child or break school policy.  I"M DUN

OK I have set out long enough here is my 2 cents.  Free speech yes slander no!  Unless you have facts that you can prove in the court of law then it is slander.  It is easy to come on a OPINION FORUM and hide behind a screen name.  I think sometimes people forget that this is what coaches do for a living it is not a hobby or something they do for fun.  Just because you disagree with the coaches decisions doesn't make them the wrong decisions.  This is not the place to slam a coach just have a meeting sit down like a grown up and try to work with your coach not against him/her. 

Guest b-a-g fan

The answer to the second question is Yes  And the first is yes and No . It gets the Poster the attention they must so deeply need and want . Most of these post are made to make people respond angrily and not to promote beliefs about a teams talent or management . If a true softball fan who loves there team or just the game of softball this will not effect there opinion in any fashion. They say all publicity is good publicity even if its bad  ???  Most Negative posters are fisherman in a sense ,They bait the hook and put it in the water and wait to set the hook (stirring the pot) ;) If there is no comment on these negative post they will not serve a purpose and the fly by day poster will lose intrest  ;) JMO  ;D

This is rather interesting poll I will just say that high school coaches are also teachers of our kids right or wrong they are held to the same standard as any other teacher having said that if your daughters math teacher jumped up in her face and told her she was stupid and said you are the reason this whole school looks bad to the state most people would scream from the highest platform. So it is not the same as just any other job. this a job in the public eye dealing with other peoples kids there for you have chosen this path in life and are going to get scrutinized on every thing you do just part of the job and it takes a very special person to put up with that.But you cant say let me come to your job and do the same because that's why I did not take a job in the public eye because i could not Handel the constant scrutiny you have that same choice.

Coaches are or should be held to A higher standard but they are human also and get caught up in the game and can get excited or upset. anyone who as ever stepped on a field to play or coach at any level has herd parents an fans second guess everything that is done in a game it is human nature.We pay them to coach, they do their way that worked for them.Ideal situation is for fans/spectaters to be at Beaumont civic center and the players at ford park.

Guest b-a-g fan

Don't agree with the last of your post Outlaw , Ideal situation would be stands packed to standing room only . Fans are a key part of this great game .. There will always be negatives in life and we can't just discard them sometimes wether we will admit it they make us stronger and give an added motivation ,I saw this in a game early this year .. This is all meant in moderation and the ones who exceed this are not fans just morons ;)

but for some they tend to let their emotions get the best of them but then that is usually the ones that don't know the game . the girls that play know players on every other team and as a parent know parents also .i never dreamed years ago playing league ball would be like high school ball 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder