14u SE TX Sun Devils

• 1 month later...

Who is on the 16/18 teams?

Some of the current 18's are

Hales, Silva, and Thamm from Barbers Hill

Marshall and Cervanka from Baytown Sterling

Steinhagen from Beaumont Kelley. To name a few.

The MLB draft in June could change the roster some.

too bad they risk their young arms to win meaningless tourneys.

Please elaborate, Scrap.  I'm curious to hear at least some of your wealth of knowledge that shows how a 14U team winning a "meaningless tourney" means they "risked their young arms."  Is there a new league that allows you to play/compete/win withOUT having someone pitch?  Please, do share, because I'm very interested!

???  :-\

Please elaborate, Scrap.  I'm curious to hear at least some of your wealth of knowledge that shows how a 14U team winning a "meaningless tourney" means they "risked their young arms."  Is there a new league that allows you to play/compete/win withOUT having someone pitch?  Please, do share, because I'm very interested!

???  :-\

I was a little curious as to exactly what that meant also.

How often do they train with the Devils?

As far as meaningless tournaments go, theyre 14-16 years old. In the long run these tournaments are pretty much meaningless. Yes, its experience which Im a huge fan of, but they still have 4-6 more years of baseball at least before theyre done.

Why continue pitch a young kid as well as play him at ss, when he can hardly pick up a baseball. Tell the kid to go home and ice it and massage it every night and he'll be ok. Why wouldnt you advise him to see a doctor? If you cared about him and his arm as much as you should you would. The kid is now going to therapy for his shoulder.

As far as meaningless tournaments go, theyre 14 years old. In the long run these tournaments are pretty much meaningless. Yes, its experience which Im a huge fan of, but they still have 4-6 more years of baseball at least before theyre done.

Why continue pitch a 14 year old kid as well as play him at ss, when he can hardly pick up a baseball. Tell the kid to go home and ice it and massage it every night and heck be ok. Why wouldnt you advise him to see a doctor? If you cared about him and his arm as much as you should you would. The kid is now going to therapy for his shoulder.

i could not agree more. Sounds like winning is the only thing they are concerned with. Heck pop the champagne

As far as meaningless tournaments go, theyre 14-16 years old. In the long run these tournaments are pretty much meaningless. Yes, its experience which Im a huge fan of, but they still have 4-6 more years of baseball at least before theyre done.

Why continue pitch a young kid as well as play him at ss, when he can hardly pick up a baseball. Tell the kid to go home and ice it and massage it every night and he'll be ok. Why wouldnt you advise him to see a doctor? If you cared about him and his arm as much as you should you would. The kid is now going to therapy for his shoulder.

Well whomever is responsible for that kid going to therapy needs to be scolded.  However, I think those kids are only 14, not 14-16.  There's no 16U baseball in the Spring.  But maybe I'm wrong...it sounds like you're pretty close to the situation, so you must have some inside knowledge.  Please keep us in the loop, and thanks. 

That being said, where would you suggest that these 8th graders play baseball in the springtime? 

Why scolded for shoulder therapy? Hell be throwing again in a couple of weeks because of it. As far as 16U ball in the spring time goes, there is. As long as theyre not playing varsity baseball.

They should play select if they have the opportunity. As long as theyre managed responsibly its a great thing to be a part of.

Why scolded for shoulder therapy? heck be throwing again in a couple of weeks because of it. As far as 16U ball in the spring time goes, there is. As long as theyre not playing varsity baseball.

They should play select if they have the opportunity. As long as theyre managed responsibly its a great thing to be a part of.

Who is it that's hurt?  I hope he's okay!

How often do they train with the Devils?

Most were working out on Mondays and Wednesdays before the season started. The BH group will be at the upcoming practices before the Baton Rouge tourney gets here.........depending on playoff scenarios.   

That's a solid bunch of players right there.

As you might guess, I take issue with this.  This is not what we do, never have.  If we had a player with a bad or sore arm, I would know, our coaches would know, etc.  And, by the way, we "underpitch" our players.  We have lost games/tournaments for that reason.  I even remember a game where our pitchers hit their pre-determined pitch count and we forfeited.  Simple as that.  

But, since you don't want to publicize it, send me a PM.  I will assure you I will check on it.

My son played for the Sun Devils for two years and he was a pitcher.  I never witnessed any pitcher overthrowing.  Both manager and coaches truly cared for every player and would never jeopardize a player's arm.

The Sun Devils are a great organization and if you have a chance to be part of the team you will remember it for a life time.  Hopefully my son also learned to get to the airport on time and you won't miss your plane. ;D

As you might guess, I take issue with this.  This is not what we do, never have.  If we had a player with a bad or sore arm, I would know, our coaches would know, etc.  And, by the way, we "underpitch" our players.  We have lost games/tournaments for that reason.  I even remember a game where our pitchers hit their pre-determined pitch count and we forfeited.  Simple as that.  

But, since you don't want to publicize it, send me a PM.  I will assure you I will check on it.

I'll vouch for that.

not to mention that select teams usually use most if not all of the players in a pitchers role at one time or another especially in younger divisions to spread the pitching load easily, never hurts to learn how to pitch.

and select coaches, especially sun devils coaches, are not win-starved little league dads that will do anything to a kid for a w, atleast not in my experience

How do they decide who gets to be on the team? I understand the players don't pay anything to play. But somebody is paying because the travel and tournaments cost plenty. I am just curious because every time I see some of the players names mentioned. Nobody from the Mid County schools is on the list.

Guest gladiator2

If my son has a problem with his arm or shoulder, it's my responibility to look after him and any other parent for that matter. I've never seen a kid keep playing whenever a parent took him off of the field. That sounds like the parents fault. Gladiator's Baseball has 3 teams this year and all of them keep pitch counts on each kid and most kid's don't throw that many innings over a weekend. We have a lot of pitching depth and the pitching gets spread around. Some kid's that are very good pitcher's don't see the mound on some weekends. I will guarantee you one thing if I told one of our coaches that my son's arm was sore he would not even be playing the field. So what I am saying is that it's our responsibility as parents to look out for our kid's, so don't go blaming a coach or an organization. We play a lot of tournaments and we have not had any problems with hurt arms or shoulders because they are not overused. We've been in the championship game 12 out of the last 13 tournaments and that means that we have played a lot of games and still no one gets overused or abused. I have seen parents just work the heck out of their kid's all week and then expect them to play on the weekends as well. An arm needs rest and cannot be over-worked, an overworked arm is the leading cause of major arm and shoulder injuries and not curveballs as many may think. Being over-worked comes back to us as parents. Now hitting is a whole different story, I believe in hitting a lot. Because I believe that as a kid gets older if he can hit there will always be a place for him to play.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder