14u SE TX Sun Devils

How do they decide who gets to be on the team? I understand the players don't pay anything to play. But somebody is paying because the travel and tournaments cost plenty. I am just curious because every time I see some of the players names mentioned. Nobody from the Mid County schools is on the list.

In the past, we have had Mid County players:

Blake Buchanan (PNG)

Cody Mire (PNG)

Branden Powell (PNG)

Eric Harrington (PNG)

Jon Carnahan (PNG)

Mattison Smith (Ned)

Aaron McFarland (Ned)

Justin Richard (Ned)

Some stayed with us, some left for what they thought were greener pastures.  We simply don't have the access that we once did.  It seems that the coaches down there encourage their kids to go elsewhere.  We do, however, have some Mid County guys on our 14U team.  They play good baseball down there and we are always looking to find a kid talented enough and committed enough to play for us...if they'll let him.  Over the years, I think we have had at least 1 kid from every local HS at some point in time.  As time has passed, our net has broadened some (particularly as various colleges have sent us their incoming recruits for the summer).  But, again...we're always looking.

btw:  if I left anyone off the list, I apologize.  Its late...I am in Athens, GA for the Ole Miss-Georgia series this weekend.

Who is on the 16/18 teams?

Some of the current 18's are

Hales, Silva, and Thamm from Barbers Hill

Marshall and Cervanka from Baytown Sterling

Steinhagen from Beaumont Kelley. To name a few.

The MLB draft in June could change the roster some.

That's a solid bunch of players right there.

While this is not finalized and we expect to pick up a few additional players, this would be the older Sun Devils team (listed by those who played varsity ball this year):

1. Hunter Cervenka (Baytown Sterling) LHP/OF (committed to Texas)

2. Tommy Collier (Cy Fair) RHP/1B (committed to San Jac)

3. Ryan Gephart (Midway McGregor) OF (committed to Missiouri)

4. Ross Hales (Barbers Hill) LHP (committed to Texas A&M)

5. Trey Haley (Nac. Central Heights) RHP (committed to Rice)

6. Brett Marshall (Baytown Sterling) RHP/SS (committed to San Jac)

7. Hunter Silva (Barbers Hill) RHP/3B (committed to San Jac)

8. Landon Steinhagen (Kelly) C/1B (committed to Howard JC)

9. Kendall Thamm (Barbers Hill) LHP (committed to Angelina)

10. Shawn Blackwell (Clear Creek) RHP (Jr. – nationally ranked #192)

11. Ryan Gunhouse (Clear Creek) C/3B (Jr. – nationally ranked #384)

12. Brady Landry (Sulphur) 3B (Jr. – nationally ranked #284)

13. Dane Phillips (Nac. Central Heights) C (Jr. – nationally ranked #40)

14. Alex Rocha (Barbers Hill) RHP (Jr. – nationally ranked #300)

15. Taylor Terrasas (Santa Fe) MIF (Jr.)

16. Kirby Bellows (Nederland) LHP/IB (Soph)

17. Jacob Felts (Orangefield) C (Soph)

18. Will Henderson (West Brook) INF (Soph)

19. Trae Hester (Vidor) LHP (Soph)

20. Aaron Morgan (West Brook) C (Soph)

21. Joe Robertson (Bridge City) INF (Soph)

22. Jace Statum (Orangefield) OF (Soph)

23.        Shane Waddell (LCM) RHP (Soph)

24. Manny Rodriguez (Van Fleck) RHP/C (Frosh)

25. Ronnie Sanchez (PA Memorial) RHP/3B (Frosh)

I am sure that I have missed some (as I am doing this by memory and late at night).  One of our coaches this summer has been asked (and accepted) a role as a scout for the Philadelphia Phillies.  Another ‘new’ hand is a former scout for the Cincinnati Reds (scouted Jay Bruce, for example).  We also have the son of the Director of Scouting for the NY Mets…the head guy.  This will amplify what is already an outstanding learning experience for all these players as well as our younger “up and coming" group.

WEll coming from a SunDevil parent of a pitcher and SS on the 14 team.  I have to say that our coaches have never jepordized my son's arm.  It sounds like you have miss information.  If you are a parent of the player you mentioned why not take it up with someone personally rather than throw accusations at an organization that prides itself on building kids up and forming relationships with them to make them successful.  These men have done nothing but good for their players and I am very offended that anyone would say otherwise.  Have you been to any games or practices and seen their attention to the boys?  It just so happens that my son has a shoulder bruise but it is not from pitching and it did not happen while playing for the SunDevils it happened when he dove for a ball while playing for his HS and he is not in therapy.  I think that your motives are just to ruffle a few feathers and you really don't know what you are talking about. 

In response to #10

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics