Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

We had an issue at one of warrens games where the line-up card was incorrect for the home team displaying a wrong number for a hitter. The inconsistenscy was also on the umpires line-up. The umpire told the coach that there's nothing wrong with that and the official way to keep up with the lineups is by name. The coach then asked how he was supposed to know who each kids name was or if the umpire knew who each was. Just wondering why they told the coach there's no penalty. If so, what's keeping a team from just putting any name on the roster and letting someone else play? Not saying that's ethical, just trying to find out why there's no rule against it

[quote name="Realdad97" post="795108" timestamp="1272327512"]
We had an issue at one of warrens games where the line-up card was incorrect for the home team displaying a wrong number for a hitter. The inconsistenscy was also on the umpires line-up. The umpire told the coach that there's nothing wrong with that and the official way to keep up with the lineups is by name. The coach then asked how he was supposed to know who each kids name was or if the umpire knew who each was. Just wondering why they told the coach there's no penalty. If so, what's keeping a team from just putting any name on the roster and letting someone else play? Not saying that's ethical, just trying to find out why there's no rule against it
[/quote]

Umpire was correct it is the name not the number which is official. Best way to fix is if there is a question get the right number to go with the name and proceed. So if the coach says hey there are 2 number 7's on my card, just find out who is number 7 and change the other to the correct number. Unless you catch people trading jersey's in the dugout , there is no need for any kind of penalty.

Guest diehardbaseballmom
Here's the scenario:
Runner on 1st.
Batter hits pop up to SS which forces the runner back to 1st. Before that runner can get [i]back[/i] to 1st base, the SS overthrows the ball and it goes into the dugout.
How many bases is that runner on 1st allowed?? Do they advance to 2nd base or do they get moved all the way to 3rd?

Guest Penny
I saw on another thread, where you indicated that interference involving a force play was automatically two outs... runner going from first to second interferes with second baseman as an example.  I always thought you never assume an out is made, so the second out at first is only recorded if the fielder throws to first before the hitter gets there?  I'm probably wrong, and not sure why I've always thought this way.  In other words, if the runner going from first to second interferes and the ball rolls through to the outfielder, is the batter going to first out also?

[quote name="Penny" post="795534" timestamp="1272423636"]
I saw on another thread, where you indicated that interference involving a force play was automatically two outs... runner going from first to second interferes with second baseman as an example.  I always thought you never assume an out is made, so the second out at first is only recorded if the fielder throws to first before the hitter gets there?  I'm probably wrong, and not sure why I've always thought this way.  In other words, if the runner going from first to second interferes and the ball rolls through to the outfielder, is the batter going to first out also?
[/quote]

Yes it is a double play. Because of interference, how can you judge if a double play would have been made. The team committing an infraction will be penalized to the fullest and will never be able to benefit from doing something wrong. Some times on interference or obstruction calls, the team affected has the choice to take the play as is or enforce the penalty. Talk about some arguments if umpires had to project if an out would have been made.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="795573" timestamp="1272456024"]
[quote author=Penny link=topic=35113.msg795534#msg795534 date=1272423636]
[/quote]

Yes it is a double play. Because of interference, how can you judge if a double play would have been made. The team committing an infraction will be penalized to the fullest and will never be able to benefit from doing something wrong. Some times on interference or obstruction calls, the team affected has the choice to take the play as is or enforce the penalty. Talk about some arguments if umpires had to project if an out would have been made.
[/quote]
i'm all for removing the possibility of human error, to quote albert einstein "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

My brother asked me about this and I wasn't sure. I asked two umps and they weren't quite sure. Here is the situation, it happened in a high school district game about two weeks ago in Dallas. Bases loaded, no outs. Batter hits homerun that barely goes over fence. OF jumps up to try and rob homerun, comes down with his glove raised in the air, making it appear that he has caught the ball. No signal yet from the umps. Runners all retreat back to bases to tag up. Batter passes the runner who is returning to first. The umpires in the game ruled the batter out for passing the runner. All other runners were allowed to score. Did they get it right?

[quote name="CoachBrown" post="798457" timestamp="1273165155"]
My brother asked me about this and I wasn't sure. I asked two umps and they weren't quite sure. Here is the situation, it happened in a high school district game about two weeks ago in Dallas. Bases loaded, no outs. Batter hits homerun that barely goes over fence. OF jumps up to try and rob homerun, comes down with his glove raised in the air, making it appear that he has caught the ball. No signal yet from the umps. Runners all retreat back to bases to tag up. Batter passes the runner who is returning to first. The umpires in the game ruled the batter out for passing the runner. All other runners were allowed to score. Did they get it right?
[/quote]

Got a message back from our rules interpreter for TASO.

It was the right call to call the batter runner out for passing another runner. Rule 8-4-2 M in the federation book. He also says good play on the outfielder's part. Playing does not stop until all awarded bases have been touched.

mr ump.question involving an appeal............runner on first misses 2nd base on his way to third.......the batter/runner ends up on 2nd....an appeal is made to field umpire , but when the shortsop recieves the ball from the pitcher, he touches the runner on second before stepping on 2nd base.....is the runner on third still out? if so does the home plate umpire have the authority to over rule the field umpire.. even though the field umpire does not ask for help?

When appealing a runner missing a bag, all that has to be done is to appeal to the umpire that # 10 missed the bag and the umpire then rules. This is Federation High School only. Home plate umpire is the umpire in chief and can over rule a call but should not do it unless ask by the other umpire. Does he have the right? Yes he does but umpire mechanics says that he should never do that without talking to the other ump. I do not know where you saw this, but if it was at a summer league game and not high school then no telling what went on. In our chapter we teach to work together as a team and to work together to resolve any calls that may need help.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="793842" timestamp="1272021727"]
No he does not. When a batter gets hit by a pitch in the act of swinging, it is called a dead ball strike and no one can advance.
[/quote]well the umps got that one wrong... cost us the game

Lets just say in your case the Umps got it wrong but I am sure that there were many plays before this that could have changed the outcome of the game. Unless there were no errors physical or mental by the players or a coach, the call the Umps made did not cost anyone the game. People forget the error that little johnny made back in the 2nd inning that let two runs score.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="800419" timestamp="1273593872"]
Lets just say in your case the Umps got it wrong but I am sure that there were many plays before this that could have changed the outcome of the game. Unless there were no errors physical or mental by the players or a coach, the call the Umps made did not cost anyone the game. People forget the error that little johnny made back in the 2nd inning that let two runs score.
[/quote]

so true big boy, so true

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="800419" timestamp="1273593872"]
[/quote]

I think you're wrong MrUmp.  It's always the umpires fault, never little Johnny's.  ;D ;D

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="800508" timestamp="1273618780"]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=35113.msg800419#msg800419 date=1273593872]
[/quote]

I think you're wrong MrUmp.  It's always the umpires fault, never little Johnny's.  ;D ;D
[/quote]

Well I was taking up for my fellow umps, it's always my fault  :D

Mr. Ump1, here is the scenario.

Runner on 1st base 2 outs.
Batter swings at 3rd strike and its not caught.
Batter takes off for first.
Umpire behind the plate runs down the first baseline behind the catcher and yells 3 times "he's out".
Catcher never throws the ball.

So now runners are on 1st and 2nd.

The umpires put the batter back in the batters box and the moves 2nd base runner back to first.
Pitcher throws a low fast ball for a ball.
Pitcher throws and batter swings and misses - inning over.
Struck him out twice. 

A few years ago I had an umpire tell me that his verbal call is final.
For instance, he said if a bunted ball is sitting five feet in front of home plate, in the middle of fair territory, and the umpire calls it foul then it is foul!

We had one a couple of weeks ago in an 11U game at Ford Park. Bases loaded with 2 outs. Hitter hits a little pop up between pitchers mound and where second baseman is playing. Umpire immediately calls infield fly rule (which was a horrible call regardless of how many outs we had because no one even got close to catching the ball). Runner at 2nd hears umpire and decides he better go back to 2nd because he (runner) must be confused on how many outs there were. Runner on 3rd scores but they force the guy going to 3rd because he stayed at 2nd because infield fly rule was called. What do you do to resolve this mess?

[quote name="td" post="803260" timestamp="1274274608"]
We had one a couple of weeks ago in an 11U game at Ford Park. Bases loaded with 2 outs. Hitter hits a little pop up between pitchers mound and where second baseman is playing. Umpire immediately calls infield fly rule (which was a horrible call regardless of how many outs we had because no one even got close to catching the ball). Runner at 2nd hears umpire and decides he better go back to 2nd because he (runner) must be confused on how many outs there were. Runner on 3rd scores but they force the guy going to 3rd because he stayed at 2nd because infield fly rule was called. What do you do to resolve this mess?
[/quote]

First if I was coaching then I most likely would have been reminding the runners of how many outs they were and if they were moving at the crack of the bat. This instance with two outs i would have been telling my runners to keep moving and then after the play if the umpire still said it was an infield fly I would remind him that there were two outs and it was not in effect. An infield fly is called to remind the runners in this case it hurt a runner but the coach should have been in the game enough to overcome this. If I ever did that as an official, I may have had to call for a do over like someone mentioned before. As an umpire whenever you make a call like that you are in a know win situation and you are going to get eat on by someone. I think it also shows that we all makes errors and this is just a game and not life or death.

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic