Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

Runner on 3rd base with two outs.  Batter hits slow roller up the first base line.  The pitcher comes over and fields the ball and elects to tag the batter/runner for the out instead of throwing the ball to first.  The batter/runner stops and retreats a few steps to avoid the tag.  Meanwhile the runner from 3rd scores before the batter/runner is tagged out.  Does the run count or does the batter/runner have to reach first base safely before this rule applies?

The batter/runner must make it safely to first base for the run to count.  Otherwise it is a force out at first.

Correct

Runner on 3rd base with two outs.  Batter hits slow roller up the first base line.  The pitcher comes over and fields the ball and elects to tag the batter/runner for the out instead of throwing the ball to first.  The batter/runner stops and retreats a few steps to avoid the tag.  Meanwhile the runner from 3rd scores before the batter/runner is tagged out.  Does the run count or does the batter/runner have to reach first base safely before this rule applies?

The batter/runner must make it safely to first base for the run to count.  Otherwise it is a force out at first.

Correct

Is this correct on all force situations like that.  Say tagging a runner going from 1st to 2nd?

Weird play last night.  runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs.  grounder to third.  3B steps on third and throws to first for the double play.  runner now at 2nd thinks there are 3 outs and heads for the first base dugout(toward first)  Meanwhile, first baseman has thrown the ball back to pitcher.  when defense sees runner from second, they try to get him but he dives into first.  Can you steal first base from 2nd?

Weird play last night.  runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs.  grounder to third.  3B steps on third and throws to first for the double play.  runner now at 2nd thinks there are 3 outs and heads for the first base dugout(toward first)   Meanwhile, first baseman has thrown the ball back to pitcher.  when defense sees runner from second, they try to get him but he dives into first.  Can you steal first base from 2nd?

although extremely strange, i do believe it is legal and he is safe

Alright, rain cancellation in the bottom of the 4th tied 1-1 with two runners on. Whats the rule? Start the game over again at the next available day, or pick up the game where it was left off? ???

That all depends if your district has a rule that that addresses the situation. UIL rule is , if it is a game of more than 5 innings, it is a complete game. If under 5 then it is restarted. Most district have a rule in place to address the situation. One other thing, the UIL rule also says that the game reverts back to the score of the last completed inning if over 5 innings.

Weird play last night.  runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs.  grounder to third.  3B steps on third and throws to first for the double play.  runner now at 2nd thinks there are 3 outs and heads for the first base dugout(toward first)   Meanwhile, first baseman has thrown the ball back to pitcher.  when defense sees runner from second, they try to get him but he dives into first.  Can you steal first base from 2nd?

May take a day or two but I will try to get a ruling on this. One thing about this you did not mention and that is, did the runner after touching 2nd if he rounded the bag, did he retouch 2nd before going twords first. It would be legal but only if after he went around 2nd he retouched 2nd before going to first.

May take a day or two but I will try to get a ruling on this. One thing about this you did not mention and that is, did the runner after touching 2nd if he rounded the bag, did he retouch 2nd before going twords first. It would be legal but only if after he went around 2nd he retouched 2nd before going to first.

right, i was under the impression that he was standing on second when he started headin to the dugout, just an inference though

pithcher makes a pickoff move by steping back off the rubber and over throws to first. the runner dives  back and the ball goes past the first baseman. the runner then gets up and runs towards second.  In this process the ball goes under the fence while he is heading toward 2nd. Is he awarded 2nd or 3rd?????? We have had 2 different umps call this differently????

pithcher makes a pickoff move by steping back off the rubber and over throws to first. the runner dives  back and the ball goes past the first baseman. the runner then gets up and runs towards second.  In this process the ball goes under the fence while he is heading toward 2nd. Is he awarded 2nd or 3rd?????? We have had 2 different umps call this differently????

This should be a judgment call.  If the umpire thinks that he could safely have reached 3rd before the ball leaves the field of play then he is awarded 3rd.  I think......

Maybe we should rename this thread ask mr silsbee88.... Once the pithcer steps off the back of the rubber, then he becomes a fielder not a pitcher. Runner gets 3rd as it is one from the mound and two from the field. Now if he makes a regular pick off throw and did not step off the back then he would only get 2nd. 

This should be a judgment call.  If the umpire thinks that he could safely have reached 3rd before the ball leaves the field of play then he is awarded 3rd.  I think......

Maybe we should rename this thread ask mr silsbee88.... Once the pithcer steps off the back of the rubber, then he becomes a fielder not a pitcher. Runner gets 3rd as it is one from the mound and two from the field. Now if he makes a regular pick off throw and did not step off the back then he would only get 2nd. 

That made me laugh out loud, since I was thinking the same thing!!!

When I see your screen name it makes me think of Chevy Chase knocking on a door with the jaws theme playing and he is saying  candygram.  Old Saturday Night Live skit

When I see your screen name it makes me think of Chevy Chase knocking on a door with the jaws theme playing and he is saying  candygram.  Old Saturday Night Live skit

Yes, I like the skit. But honestly I like the Landshark beer that came out.

To topic, We had an umpire stop the game because he said the catcher had to have at least one shin guard lined up over home plate when setting up outside. A catcher's box was not marked(not that it mattered).  I have never heard of that.

One more,  I understand with a runner on first and third, a pitcher can make a move to third and not throw and turn and throw to first. What I'm not clear about is if there is a runner on third and NO runner on first, can a pitcher make a move and NOT throw to third?

Thanks.

Yes he can fake a throw to third. As far as the catcher, all I can figure is since there was no catchers box lined off, the umpire must have felt that if he went outside of this then he would have been out of the catchers box which would result in a balk if he is outside of the box when the pitch is delivered. Other than that I can not understand why he would tell the catcher that.

Yes he can fake a throw to third. As far as the catcher, all I can figure is since there was no catchers box lined off, the umpire must have felt that if he went outside of this then he would have been out of the catchers box which would result in a balk if he is outside of the box when the pitch is delivered. Other than that I can not understand why he would tell the catcher that.

If he gets too much further, then the umps protection goes with him.  I wouldn't let him get too far either. lol...

I usually do not move with the catcher but if you feel too unprotected then it is ok to move. Now I am not a coach and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I would never teach my catcher to set up that far outside no matter what kind of throw away pitch I was calling. I say keep the batter guessing on if you are going to make him chase or sneak one by him for a called strike.

I see nothing wrong with others answering these questions.

I think someone has mis understood my little sense of humor. Lets just make sure that whomever answers a question isn't just saying what they think is the rule, but someone that either knows it by heart or has a rule book handy to make sure. The object was to inform the readers of this forum the proper rules so they can enjoy the game of baseball even more.

I think someone has mis understood my little sense of humor. Lets just make sure that whomever answers a question isn't just saying what they think is the rule, but someone that either knows it by heart or has a rule book handy to make sure. The object was to inform the readers of this forum the proper rules so they can enjoy the game of baseball even more.

Thanks for the answers,  if I ask anymore I will be sure to wait on your answers so I am confident I would be teaching my team the correct rules. Not that silsbee88 doesn't know his stuff. I thought since it was a sticky topic with your name in the title, I would be getting answers from an umpire I could trust.  Or aggies can verify every answer that is put on the board. ;D

I have no problem with people answering questions. It was not meant to insult anyone else's knowledge of baseball. I definitely do not know all the rules in my head. Many times there have been some very interesting questions that required looking in the rule book or sending it to a higher source that are a real rules guru.

Thanks for the answers,  if I ask anymore I will be sure to wait on your answers so I am confident I would be teaching my team the correct rules. Not that silsbee88 doesn't know his stuff. I thought since it was a sticky topic with your name in the title, I would be getting answers from an umpire I could trust.  Or aggies can verify every answer that is put on the board. ;D

No, I'll just verify only your answers. ;)

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic