Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

I think someone has mis understood my little sense of humor. Lets just make sure that whomever answers a question isn't just saying what they think is the rule, but someone that either knows it by heart or has a rule book handy to make sure. The object was to inform the readers of this forum the proper rules so they can enjoy the game of baseball even more.

Thanks for the answers,  if I ask anymore I will be sure to wait on your answers so I am confident I would be teaching my team the correct rules. Not that silsbee88 doesn't know his stuff. I thought since it was a sticky topic with your name in the title, I would be getting answers from an umpire I could trust.  Or aggies can verify every answer that is put on the board. ;D

No, I'll just verify only your answers. ;)

Don't worry, I won't be giving answers. Only asking questions.

good question. Pitcher is to take pitch signs from the catcher while in contact with the rubber. Now how do you enforce this. Unless there is no question that it is being done, then no way. How can I say that a coach scratching his head is a signal? believe it or not, but the coaches do not give me their signals for a game lol. Now I do know of a certain coach that it seems that everytime he yells something kinda off the wall at his defense, then some sort of pickoff move is on. Is it a coincidence? Think not but I know many coaches have little things they do they are signs. Thats baseball. It's something that I am not going to listen to too much arguing about cause most of the time even with a judge, lawyer and jury you couldn't prove it. I would put this in the catagory of nitpickiing the rules. Far to many more important things to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey D, the old man said he ran into Pelo calling a game in the directors tourney, if so its good you guys got him back as he was a favorite of mine along with the kids back then. tried to PM ya but can't...W

Pilo is just doing some Summer ball which I think he has been doing all along. He is not in the high school chapter. Some guys just do summer ball for a variety of reasons. D

I have a question on catcher's interference. If a runner is on first and the batter hits the mit and the ball and its in play for a single which moved the runner to third which would be 1st and 3rd does the runner at 3rd go back to 2nd or does the coach have the option. I thought it was like the balk rule, bc this would negatively affect the team to move the guy back to 2nd.

I have a question on catcher's interference. If a runner is on first and the batter hits the mit and the ball and its in play for a single which moved the runner to third which would be 1st and 3rd does the runner at 3rd go back to 2nd or does the coach have the option. I thought it was like the balk rule, bc this would negatively affect the team to move the guy back to 2nd.

Catcher obstruction is a delayed dead ball and the offense has a choice of the play or the penalty. Just to be clear about a balk since you mentioned it, In High School ball a balk is immediate dead ball. Everything is frozen from the time a balk is called. In all other levels of baseball that use the MLB rules, a balk is a delayed dead ball and the offense has the choice of the play or the balk. I have no reason to answer why Federation rules are different on a balk. One of the few differences in rules.

Very possible to lose a number  :D , The other night a coach told me he was going to look up a rule in the book since he didn't think I was right. It happened to be one of the few rules I do know by heart  ;D ;D so I told him I would give him my email addy to email me the apology  :D :D.

That is awesome. Find out his and tell him you are still waiting on the apology. I umpired for a few yrs before I started this coaching gig. It helps alot knowing more high school rules since they change so much from college. If coach's knew the rules it would get them more calls reversed or just help them when "yelling" at an umpire. I never argue a close call just a questionable one or one I know the rule of. Thanks for the input, I was told the balk was a delayed dead ball and its good to know its not.

If you noticed, the umpire at third base from Wednesday night was not there Friday. He was sick and had to miss the remainder of the series. A umpire was agreed upon by both coaches for a replacement. Both coaches did ask that either of the two original work the plate in the final game. So Wednesday's night umpire worked Saturday's game since otherwise the Friday ump would have had to work back to back games. Both coaches were in agreement of who called where. 

Question:  Bases loaded one out.  Coach calls a squeeze. batter bunts ball which hits the ground and bounces and hits him when he is out of the box in fair territory.  Batter is out I assume, but is the play still on, can the runner score from third and does the catcher now have to tag him out?

D, on a thrown ball from outfield, runner kicks ball away from defense and scores, does it matter if intentional, whats the call??? and the placement of runners ??

As i told someone the other day, I am not Dr. Phil so in most cases I can not read the mind of the ball player to determine intentional or not, but in this case i think it does. If a runner is running not looking or alters his speed or path to be hit by a ball then you have nothing. If in the umpires judgement he alter his running to be hit and or kicked a ball then he would be out and the runners would return to the last base that they had aquired prior to the interference.

question?

OF/BC game, swung third strike it appeared the ump raised hand signifying player was out. batter walks to dugout and actually reaches the dugout. catcher then throws ball to firstbaseman who is half way down the first base line. batter then runs to get on first base. umpire calls him safe. what is the correct call?

1. the batter never entered the dugout or defensive team never left the field so he could run to first. As far as the home plate umpire raising his hand he was only signaling a strike had accured. That is why as a catcher if you have a doubt, you should tag the batter/runner to make sure of an out.

2. Infield Fly : Runners on first and second, or first,  second and third, less than two outs. Ball must be reasonibly caught by an infielder. Thats means it can be past the dirt of the infield if an infielder is under the ball and can make the catch with ease.

• 6 months later...
The pitcher takes his warmup tosses to start the game.

The leadoff batter steps in for the first pitch of the game. The hitter is a great bunter but can't hit his butt with both hands. Add to this the coach is mad at the homeplate umpire from a past experience.

Is it legal for the coach to pull his catcher out from behind homeplate and position him in full gear ready to field a bunt?  

Since no one is on base, you truly dont need him back there until the count reaches 2 strikes.

If this is legal, what would you as the homeplate umpire do in this situation?

I would say yes >>as long as he's in the 'box' when pitcher commits to the plate, he would have to be fast tho, BTW, the catcher has the only positition thats marked on the field and the only player that may be outside the field of play (foul teritory), I'm sure Mr Ump will chime in with the actual ruling, I know he's somewhat antsy this time of the yr.... 

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic