Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

[quote name="teeboan" post="721734" timestamp="1259701681"]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=35113.msg718554#msg718554 date=1259362982]
It won't be long. Start meetings first Wednesday in January
[/quote]

have we locked down a location yet? hey I saw some pitures of a nice buck in your backyard. Mind if I sit on your roof with my bow?
[/quote]

I am selling day leases off of my back patio  LOL  Saw 5 the other night  We are going to meet at the Municipal Court in downtown. One of our good law enforcement umpires has it lined up. Just git the word from R A today. Call me if you get a chance Friday mid morning if you can.

643 has the first point right. Catcher would have to be in the box at the time of the pitch or it is a balk. Lets just say that after the 2nd time, we would need a new catcher cause I would put him on the bus or I would stand behind the batter out of the way cause there is nuttin in the rule book that says where an umpire has to stand  LOL. I may go sit in the dugout next to the coach and yell play !!!!

[quote name="643" post="723592" timestamp="1259946690"]
Hey D, I know a 84y/o man that did the exact thing, the only differance it was in the stands sitting next to a woman, after all was said and did she was the best spectator in the park....you know whom I'm speaking of....
[/quote]

He has told me that story it is a classic

• 1 month later...
Question : Batter puts bunt down , then drops bat, the bat is in fair ground, and runs to first.The ball is bunted fair , but has backspin and rolls back hits the bat again, and the ball stays fair. Is this a fair ball or dead ball? Is the batter out ? Or would it be considered a foul ball?

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="SWB" post="755109" timestamp="1265306097"]
Question : Batter puts bunt down , then drops bat, the bat is in fair ground, and runs to first.The ball is bunted fair , but has backspin and rolls back hits the bat again, and the ball stays fair. Is this a fair ball or dead ball?
[/quote]

Dead ball. It never was actually "fair" unless a player touched it in fair territority.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="755114" timestamp="1265306452"]
[quote author=SWB link=topic=35113.msg755109#msg755109 date=1265306097]
Question : Batter puts bunt down , then drops bat, the bat is in fair ground, and runs to first.The ball is bunted fair , but has backspin and rolls back hits the bat again, and the ball stays fair. Is this a fair ball or dead ball?
[/quote]

Dead ball. It never was actually "fair" unless a player touched it in fair territority.
[/quote] The ball was picked up by the catcher after the ball had rolled back and hit the bat. The catcher threw the ball to first ,batter called safe by ump at first base. Runner at 3rd scored. The opposing coach protested. The home plate ump didn't know what to do. Eventually they called my batter out and made runner return to third.

Rule 8-4-1-d of the Federation Rule Book: The batter runner is out when: d: after hitting or bunting a ball, he [b]intentionally[/b] contacts the ball with the bat a second time in fair or foul territory. The ball is dead a no runners advance.

As I read what you described, sounded like the batter bunted and in the course of normal play threw the bat down to run, the backspin brought the ball back to contact the bat. If the batter did nothing to suggest he was looking at the ball and threw his bat at the ball to make contact, then I would have nothing. Would be a judgment of umpire if it was intentional or not.

• 1 month later...
Batter hits a line drive that hits the top edge of the first base bag and pops straight up in the air.  The first baseman comes over and makes the catch before the ball hits the ground.  The batter continues and runs through the bag.  The first baseman does not tag the bag because he catches it in the air.  Is the runner safe or is it a pop out since it never hits the ground?

Guest Silsbee88
[quote name="oldwiseone" post="775810" timestamp="1268364023"]
Batter hits a line drive that hits the top edge of the first base bag and pops straight up in the air.  The first baseman comes over and makes the catch before the ball hits the ground.  The batter continues and runs through the bag.  The first baseman does not tag the bag because he catches it in the air.  Is the runner safe or is it a pop out since it never hits the ground?
[/quote]

The bag is considered the ground, just like the fence.  The ball is in play and the runner is safe.

[quote name="Silsbee88" post="776001" timestamp="1268407893"]
[quote author=oldwiseone link=topic=35113.msg775810#msg775810 date=1268364023]
[/quote]

The bag is considered the ground, just like the fence.  The ball is in play and the runner is safe.
[/quote]X2 now with the pitchers rubber I think its different.

You have a runner on 2nd,batter hits the ball and the man on 2nd was stealing.
Ball hits the field ump on the shoe ball goes out to right field.Is the ump part of the field
or dead ball?
Call was made batter gets first, runner who was almost to 3rd from stealing scored, was made
to go back to 3rd. 

[quote name="court side" post="778268" timestamp="1268873271"]
Ball hits the field ump on the shoe ball goes out to right field.Is the ump part of the field
or dead ball?
Call was made batter gets first, runner who was almost to 3rd from stealing scored, was made
to go back to 3rd. 
[/quote]
The umpire is part of the field we had a similar call go bad against us because the umpire is part of the field.

When the umpire is in the inside of the diamond and is hit, the ball is dead and each runner or batter runner is awarded one base.  I know sometimes the kids get a little mad at me because they want me to move to much from where i should be to help their vision but if I move to much sometimes you are putting yourself in an area where you are more likely to get hit.

Guest Silsbee88
[quote name="court side" post="778268" timestamp="1268873271"]
or dead ball?
to go back to 3rd.  
[/quote]

Same as Mr. Ump:

NCAA Rule:

f. A fair-hit ball touches an umpire before touching a fielder and before
passing all infielders, other than the pitcher;
PENALTY for f.—The ball is dead and the batter is awarded first base
with a single. Runner(s) advance if forced.
A.R.—If a fair-hit ball touches an umpire after having passed a fielder other than the
pitcher, or having been touched by a fielder, including the pitcher, the ball is in play.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="778498" timestamp="1268911285"]
When the umpire is in the inside of the diamond and is hit, the ball is dead and each runner or batter runner is awarded one base.  I know sometimes the kids get a little mad at me because they want me to move to much from where i should be to help their vision but if I move to much sometimes you are putting yourself in an area where you are more likely to get hit.
[/quote]Sounds like the umps got it right then. Since the runner on 2nd was on the move and pretty much
had 3rd when the ump was hit,does not make a difference.He would still get only 3rd??or should he have got to go home
as the awarded base?

MrUmp1 i have another one.

The trips to the mound, Is it so many trips per inning,per game or per pitcher before you have to pull
the the kid that is pitching.

Example---The coach made 2 trips with the first pitcher 3 with the second,and made one trip out with
the third pitcher.The third pitcher was in his third inning of pitching before the coach made his visit
to him. The field ump made him remove the pitcher. (?)

Here it is for High School.. A coach gets a maximum of 3 defensive visits per 7 innings. If the purpose of going out to the mound is to change pitchers, then it is not counted as a trip. If a game goes into extra innings, then each coach gets one visit per inning and must change the pitcher if he goes out for a second time in an inning. There are no carryovers on trips. If you had one visit the first 7 innings, game goes into extra innings, the two he has not used are just lost. One other note, if you noticed I called these defensive trips. If a coach calls time and calls his catcher over to the dugout to tell him something he is charged a trip. One other situation where a coach is not charged a trip is if there is an injury. We always go out with the coach and make sure he only discusses the injury.

[color=#151b8d]First of all, I'd like to thank this web site and MrUmp1 for providing a great service to the baseball community here in Texas. [i]"Thanks"[/i]

[i]Say hey[/i], I need a little help here MrUmp1 with giving the "W" to the pitcher who earned the "W".

First game of season for our High School team is in a Tourney with a no-inning started after 1:45 min of play.

Game goes 6 complete innings.

Our team wins 7 - 0.

Our Pitcher #1 goes 3 complete innings and leaves with score 3 - 0 and is thrown out of game by HP Umpire in the 4th for arguing called third strke while he is AB.

Pitcher #1 gives up: 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 0 ER and pitches out of 2 serious jams.

Our Pitcher #2 comes in and pitches 3 complete innings. Our team scores 4 more runs for a 7-0 lead.

Pitcher #2 gives up: 0 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 0 ER and throws 32 pitches in his 3 IP.

Who gets the win? [/color]

Guest Silsbee88

[quote name="Slugger" post="782140" timestamp="1269573287"]
[color=#151b8d]First of all, I'd like to thank this web site and MrUmp1 for providing a great service to the baseball community here in Texas. [i]"Thanks"[/i]

[i]Say hey[/i], I need a little help here MrUmp1 with giving the "W" to the pitcher who earned the "W".

First game of season for our High School team is in a Tourney with a no-inning started after 1:45 min of play.

Game goes 6 complete innings.

Our team wins 7 - 0.

Our Pitcher #1 goes 3 complete innings and leaves with score 3 - 0 and is thrown out of game by HP Umpire in the 4th for arguing called third strke while he is AB.

Pitcher #1 gives up: 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 0 ER and pitches out of 2 serious jams.

Our Pitcher #2 comes in and pitches 3 complete innings. Our team scores 4 more runs for a 7-0 lead.

Pitcher #2 gives up: 0 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 0 ER and throws 32 pitches in his 3 IP.

Who gets the win? [/color]

[/quote]

Pitcher #1 get the win

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic