Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1218538" timestamp="1336177043"]
a stating pitcher can be removed as pitcher then put back in as a pitcher as long as he has not left the game. Only
the starting pitcher can do this
[/quote]I have seen a non starting pitcher enter to pitch twice this year.  EX. the kid started in RF, came into pitch in 2nd inn, was pulled in th 4th and moved back to RF and put back into pitch in the 7th to close the game.... what I was told by 2 different umps that it is by interpretation of the rule. Could you give me the rule, and number so I can see what they are debating

OK lets see if maybe I get this right cause it gets really complicated.  Starting pitcher can come back in to pitch as long as he does not violate any substitution rules, the reliever did not throw 9 or more warm up pitches, and the starting pitcher is replacing the guy that relieved him. As far as a non starter, he can pitch, go play a position and then after at least one batter can come back to pitch but can only do this once an inning.  He must stay in the game and also replace the player that relieved him. I think this is right but it is just not spelled out clearly in the rules. It is all there in bits and pieces. Teeboan challenged me to get to the bottom of this. Tee, what do you think???     

[quote name="hitman009" post="1219644" timestamp="1336485130"]
so what you are saying is a non starting pitcher can pitch more than once a game as long as he stays in the game/line up. correct?
[/quote]

Yes rule 3-1-2 helps explain the non starter rule

I have a question. In a playoff game saturday a hitter in the batters box was standing on the line in front of the box. The kid hit the ball but in the process his stride was outside the box. The catcher questioned the ump on the ruling and was told he could not call balls and strikes and watch the feet too what is the ruling

If a foot is completely out of the box nothing touching the line and contacts the ball, the batter is out. It is very hard for a plate umpire to see this as his focus is on the pitch coming over the plate. A good plate umpire is going to watch the ball all the way into the glove before making his call and watching a batters feet is not a priority. It's not a call you see very often and it is usually a very flagrant thing before it is called.

[quote name="hitman009" post="1219644" timestamp="1336485130"]
so what you are saying is a non starting pitcher can pitch more than once a game as long as he stays in the game/line up. correct?
[/quote]
And replaces the player who replaced him as the pitcher. He can not come back to pitch if there has been multiple pitching changes. That was the one really tricky part of the rule.

0-2 the count. Runner on third trying to squeeze. Batter misses the bunt completely and the catcher misses it. Is this a case where the batter can run because of dropped strike three? Or since he attempted to bunt with two strikes and did not lay it in fair play, he is out?  I have not witnessed this or ever heard of it happening, just a thought I had while playing the other day. 

doesn't matter if he is trying to bunt or not. If first base was not occupied at the time of the pitch or there are two out, a missed third strike by catcher and the batter may try to run to first. Even if you do not swing and catcher misses ball you can run to first.

had this happen today..runner on 1st ball hit to 2nd baseman, throws ball to ss who throws ball over 1st baseman head ball hit pole ple outside dugout rolls towards homeplate umpire called runner out at 2nd and awarded batter runner 3rd base.. all rules I looked up state 2 bases the one he is going to plus 1 ...the batter runner should have been awarded 2nd base not 3rd..wrong or right

[quote name="exmarine" post="1221963" timestamp="1336947994"]
had this happen today..runner on 1st ball hit to 2nd baseman, throws ball to ss who throws ball over 1st baseman head ball hit pole ple outside dugout rolls towards homeplate umpire called runner out at 2nd and awarded batter runner 3rd base.. all rules I looked up state 2 bases the one he is going to plus 1 ...the batter runner should have been awarded 2nd base not 3rd..wrong or right
[/quote]

Well this one is a judgement call on the umpire. If he feels like the runner has already crossed first base and has attempted to run to second (even just a step) then the runner is then officially headed to second. Then his plus 1 would be third.

I agree HD about the judgement call.. but it was a routine double play, no 14 yr old is that fast, and by the rule book, once the thrown ball leaves the hand it then becomes where the batter/ runner is..not where the ball lands, touches the ground goes into a dugout or goes into the stands,  so again I say that would have to be one fast 14 yr old, bases are 90' and he batted from the right side.

• 3 weeks later...
I know this has probably been covered here, but I really did not want to go through 20+ pages.  Senior League game at Bridge City (13 - 16).  Two outs and runners at first and second.  A ground ball is hit to the 5/6 hole between short-stop and third base.  The short-stop comes up to make the play and as he fields the ball is ran into by the runner coming from second to third base.  The collision knocks the short-stop sideways but he is still able to get a throw off.  The umpires stated it was "incidental" contact, and ruled everyone safe.  Is that the proper call, or is it a case of interference? 

[quote name="Chester86" post="1228617" timestamp="1338911804"]
I know this has probably been covered here, but I really did not want to go through 20+ pages.  Senior League game at Bridge City (13 - 16).  Two outs and runners at first and second.  A ground ball is hit to the 5/6 hole between short-stop and third base.  The short-stop comes up to make the play and as he fields the ball is ran into by the runner coming from second to third base.  The collision knocks the short-stop sideways but he is still able to get a throw off.  The umpires stated it was "incidental" contact, and ruled everyone safe.  Is that the proper call, or is it a case of interference?
[/quote]
It is the runners obligation to not make contact with the fielder. Defensive team has the option of taking the play or the penalty. In this case there is no incidental contact none can be made by a runner. Thanks 643 for chipping in I haven't checked board been out of town.

Thats just 1 I remember, actually I lost a protest in PONY ball on this rule, lost 20$ (a cost of filling a protest) and I was within the rules but still LOST. Had a bunted ball on the 1st baseline, pitcher fielded then dropped the ball then kicked it trying to pick it up again, runner made nonintentional contact n both hit the ground. Rung the batter-runner up for contact n I protested...   

• 8 months later...
  • KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic