Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

Thanks for the rant. Many plates do have black on the edges which is part of the plate. I think some of you expect umpires to be something super human but we are just regular guys trying to do the best we can. As long as it is fun i will call when it is not I will hang it up and play more golf!

Starting this year all umpires that wanted to be eligible for playoffs either had to attend the State Convention or a Regional clinic for training.
Chapters are contacted either by the UIL or by a school to schedule umpires for a series.
We work split crews sometimes in series. 2 from each chapter. Sometimes it is a neutral crew that either the schools involved agree on a chapter to call, or the schools call the UIL and they call a chapter of their choice to send officials.
When you say Umpire groups, we all are TASO umpires just different chapters. Not for sure if their are any UIL chapters in baseball, I have never called with any. I have made many friends throughout the State calling in split crews.

Most Umpires that call in a playoff series will call at a level they are comfortable with.

[quote name="BaseballWarrior" post="1398772" timestamp="1367109540"]
Correct me if I'm wrong. Saturday is the last day of the week.There is a limit on total games a player can play throughout the season. That total is based upon how many tournaments the player is active in as well.
[/quote]last day of the week is friday when school is released.  A student does only have a limited number of games he can play throughout the season... and can play only one game during the school week (monday-friday ending after school is released) unless it is a make up game or for tournament.....  so he could play one game tuesday but play both JV/Varsity on Friday or Saterday

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1405156" timestamp="1368723030"]
Starting this year all umpires that wanted to be eligible for playoffs either had to attend the State Convention or a Regional clinic for training.
Chapters are contacted either by the UIL or by a school to schedule umpires for a series.
We work split crews sometimes in series. 2 from each chapter. Sometimes it is a neutral crew that either the schools involved agree on a chapter to call, or the schools call the UIL and they call a chapter of their choice to send officials.
When you say Umpire groups, we all are TASO umpires just different chapters. Not for sure if their are any UIL chapters in baseball, I have never called with any. I have made many friends throughout the State calling in split crews.

Most Umpires that call in a playoff series will call at a level they are comfortable with.
[/quote]

Ok,  leaving Beaumont out of the equation.  What is the best baseball chapter in the area?  Who have you worked with this season and in years past.

[quote name="schlomo" post="1402848" timestamp="1368196098"]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=35113.msg1394587#msg1394587 date=1366067691]
I have never called a strike zone based on what bats are being used. If any part of the ball touches any part of the black of the plate it is a strike. Shrinking the zone will only make batters look for more walks not make them swing the bat more. If you are going to play College or be one of the few to play pro ball, get use to the ball on the edge consistently being called a strike.
[/quote]

"If any part of the ball touches any part of the black of the plate it is a strike."  - Really?

NFHS Baseball Rule 2.35 :
"The strike zone is that space over home plate, ... "

Home plate is 17 inches wide. Period. There is no black.

Would you call a runner safe if he only touched the [s]beviled[/s] beveled black edge of the plate?

Your answer is going to be something like "That's the way we call it" , "Get used to it because that's they way we call it at the next level". That is BS if you ask me. It's just the Good Old Boy Umpire Club calling what they want regardless of the rule.
[/quote]

If you think it is so easy.... join a chapter and get after it.... or I guess you would rather umpire from the stands so you don't have to make that call... no I am not an ump but i do have enough respect for the ones that put the gear on and get out there and give it their best... there is an old saying that fits pretty good here.... If you're not part of the solution... you're part of the problem...

Same size only one has a black outline...

[img]http://www.fun-enterprises.com/plate-large.jpg[/img]  [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jTmbZxtDbok/S9BcAkQ11qI/AAAAAAAABco/sjij7HjUChM/s1600/home_plate.jpg[/img]

Mr. Ump,

just curious about the protocol used by a 4 man umpiring crew in a certain situation, hopefully you can help me out.....

Example..

bases loaded, fly ball to right center gap, where is each umpires responsibility during the play?

Thanks,
Rake1

[quote name="hitman009" post="1405179" timestamp="1368725925"]
[quote author=BaseballWarrior link=topic=35113.msg1398772#msg1398772 date=1367109540]
Correct me if I'm wrong. Saturday is the last day of the week.There is a limit on total games a player can play throughout the season. That total is based upon how many tournaments the player is active in as well.
[/quote]last day of the week is friday when school is released.  A student does only have a limited number of games he can play throughout the season... and can play only one game during the school week (monday-friday ending after school is released) unless it is a make up game or for tournament.....  so he could play one game tuesday but play both JV/Varsity on Friday or Saterday
[/quote]
Hitman with all due respect, you are incorrect.  A player has a certain amount of games he can play, based on number of tournaments he participates in (a single game does not count as a tournament).  He may participate 1 day during the school week (1st day of class to the release of the last day class is in session that week).  He may participate in both the jv and varsity game on Tuesday because they are on the same day, however it counts as 2 games for that individual.  The only exception to the 1 day per school week rule is in fact a makeup game.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1406173" timestamp="1369002383"]
with bases loaded the 2nd base ump would be inside so fly ball catch no catch would be the first base umpire to go out on a right field side fly ball
[/quote]

Where are the 3rd base ump and home plate umps looking? Who has the tag up at 2nd and 3rd?

Rake1

As long as it is in the normal play , there is nothing. If the batter swings normal you can not penalize him. A batter does not have to get out of the way of the catcher, they just can not move to get in the way. This one is hard to explain without some sort of visual example.

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1406430" timestamp="1369085178"]
This is probably an easy one for you veterans but...

runner on 2nd base stealing 3rd.  Batter swings at the pitch and misses.  Catcher pops up and throws to 3rd but hits the batters bat.  What would the call be?  What is the req of the batter?  Feel free to add other variables when answering.
[/quote]I would think the call would be >>safe at 3rd unless the ball deflected off the bat and went into a dead ball area>>>>then the runner would get awarded home

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1406507" timestamp="1369134643"]
That would be correct if the ball went into dead ball territory.
[/quote]

Any situations where the batter would be called out for interference?  Heard of this happening at marauder park 13u game this past weekend. Didn't sound right to me but I didn't see it and maybe the kid intentionally interfered???

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1406587" timestamp="1369150795"]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=35113.msg1406507#msg1406507 date=1369134643]
That would be correct if the ball went into dead ball territory.
[/quote]

Any situations where the batter would be called out for interference?  Heard of this happening at marauder park 13u game this past weekend. Didn't sound right to me but I didn't see it and maybe the kid intentionally interfered???
[/quote]

I would think as long as the kid was in the batters box and didn't make an attempt to get in the way of the catcher that it should of been just a big drats play... Now if the player had stepped out of the batters box to go back to dug out and the catcher made the throw and hit the bat it would be interference... <-- just because in my eyes the play wasn't over and the batter left the box...

The batter can stand in his regular stance and it is the catcher that has to throw around, thats if the batter doesn't move. intentional or not the batter can not move into the path of the throw. One of the things about baseball rules, in most cases the umpire does not have to be a mind reader and determine intent.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1406844" timestamp="1369186106"]
The batter can stand in his regular stance and it is the catcher that has to throw around, thats if the batter doesn't move. intentional or not the batter can not move into the path of the throw. One of the things about baseball rules, in most cases the umpire does not have to be a mind reader and determine intent.
[/quote]

Good enough for me.  Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="teeboan" post="1410371" timestamp="1370268812"]
http://www.tasobeaumont.org/ They are posted on our website
[/quote]

just a quick scan i noticed not one kid from pn-g, ned or bc on the teams. i wonder why that is.

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic